Walka003

January transfer window

1 hour ago, robf said:

I think the Clark signing has in one stroke sorted out a load of things.

In the near future we could have Clark, Crookes and Montano all available as left-back options. So three options at right-back and also three at right-back (Clark, Gibbons and Evans). Plenty of cover there.

With Crookes back in training that could see him viewed more as a centre-half which gives some cover during Smith's absence. When Smith returns we'd have four centre-halves (Smith, Legge, Brisley and Crookes) looking for a start. Plenty of cover there too.

Clark's signing also potentially frees up Monty to plays on the wing or as an attacking midfielder which helps competition there.

Askey must be pleased he's now got competition in a fair few positions as a result of bringing one player in. It will be interesting to see who starts out of Gibbons, Clark and Monty on Saturday...

100% this post .

Montano can also put pressure on Amoo and Worrall to perform as he is versatile. Good signing.

.... perhaps Askey is half expecting Monty to pick up an injury in the next few games... let's face it, looking at his recent history, he is due one. Let's hope it doesn't happen.

Clark liked a tweet where someone said said that getting rid of Marsh as his agent was the 'best move he's made'.

A good, steading signing which objectively improves the squad, and adds competition.

With the talk of some good news coming tomorrow, it looks like a few people who had a meltdown a few days ago are going to be looking a tad foolish...

• Like 2

Looks like Bowers is hinting that some big news in the next 24 hours that fans will be extremely please by! Maybe a big contract extension or a new signing...
Possibility of a further signing tomorrow was mentioned at the Supporters Club meeting tonight.

1 hour ago, valefan16 said:

From his interview it sounded like Mitch wanted to come back in the summer but it “didn’t happen for certain reasons”

He’s just trying to backtrack on the fact he took the decision to take massive money to play in a Prem teams U23 side over coming to us. 

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

He’s just trying to backtrack on the fact he took the decision to take massive money to play in a Prem teams U23 side over coming to us. 

Which was a perfectly rational decision.

8 hours ago, cheshirevaliant said:

Only really a fan of the loan market if the loan players are better than those already at the club (Jake Taylor, Sam Togwell 2 examples of loan players I liked). I didn't believe he was better than Gibbons at the time (I know Gibbons had some "time off") and, unless he's improved, I still don't believe he's better than him. All opinions though like you say and it won't stop me supporting him on a Saturday afternoon if he gets a chance. 

Vast majority thought Steve Thompson and Achille Campion were any good though... 😉 

How can you not think he's better than Gibbons? He's better going forward and better defensively and doesn't go into hero mode when he makes a mistake a la Gibbo, leaving the back four totally out of shape.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, JordB31 said:

How can you not think he's better than Gibbons? He's better going forward and better defensively and doesn't go into hero mode when he makes a mistake a la Gibbo, leaving the back four totally out of shape.

Last season I didn't feel there was much between them but felt Clark was marginally ahead as he was less likely to have a rush of blood and do something stupid. This season Gibbons is a much more complete player and it's hard to imagine Clark has made the same progress playing under 23 football. Listening to the interview Clark doesn't seem to have been offered a guaranteed starting position.  I doubt there is another team in this league with 3 Full backs as good as Clark, Gibbons and Montano on current form.