onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

Advert

13 hours ago, Burslem Academicals said:

Erniemossrules final time pick one of Cullen/Bennett/Amoo to not sign and then spend the money on old man Foley....high earner for high earner......Lloyd is on a low wage Foley would be a high earner so it is not like for like.

Also Kennedy was on Man City's book, played in the same England U21 side as Harry Kane, has played in the SPL and was at Shrewsbury in League 1 last season.....would suspect Rawlinson might be fourth choice centre back and wouldn't bet against 

Kennedy and Smith being first choice by the end of the season or certainly the one after when Legge retires.

He won't pick one as in his world all players get paid the same. He possibly has an idea Messi might be on a little more. It wouldn't shock me if Foley ends up with us if he can't get what he wants elsewhere. I have no reason to doubt the poster who says he lives on Wychwood Park so if he's planning to stay local when he retires a lower wage at Vale might be more attractive than a low one at Hereford. I'm guessing he'd hold out until the end of the window. 

7 minutes ago, JRC said:

He won't pick one as in his world all players get paid the same. He possibly has an idea Messi might be on a little more. It wouldn't shock me if Foley ends up with us if he can't get what he wants elsewhere. I have no reason to doubt the poster who says he lives on Wychwood Park so if he's planning to stay local when he retires a lower wage at Vale might be more attractive than a low one at Hereford. I'm guessing he'd hold out until the end of the window. 

Why not sign Cullen,Bennett and Amoo and Foley.

Just manage the budget correctly.

Do we need the Macclesfield Messi?

Quality not quantity.

Everyone would have been up in arms if Aspin had signed some of these players.

1 minute ago, Erniemossrules said:

Quality not quantity.

So what size squad do you want? Average for the promoted sides last season was 34. There are no emergency loans for outfield players so you need 17 for a match day squad.

9 hours ago, JRC said:

You can't go with only one spare centrehalf, that would be absolute madness.

Our squad is actually quite small right now. Off the top of my head maybe 22 signed pros.

Absolutely true about the centre halfs though. We’ve got Kennedy, rawlinson, Legge and smith battling it out for the centre half slots. How anyone can make a judgment on Kennedy based on 1 half at kidsgrove is beyond me. 

Left back can be covered by Crookes / evans / Campbell-Gordon (if he can make the step up) Monty should be nowhere the left back spot and I don’t believe that the management see him as an option there either. 

Right back covered by Gibbons / Evans. 

Im sure as August progresses that loan signings will be brought in if we’re short in a particular area through injury or players form.

2 hours ago, CAVALIER said:

I’m with Inny. He dwells too much and does an easily read spin/turn.

Hope he’s come on a lot and could develop well. 

Agree. He slows the game down too much at times by 'showboating' on the ball, rolling it round under his foot, etc. when he could move it on quicker.

He's definitely got plenty of potential though and is young enough to fulfil it.

Not quite sure he should be an automatic regular starter, although he fits in much better if he's got some strength and power alongside him (i.e. Oyeleke).

Askey likes a small squad say 25 and under not 30 plus players....anyway the ideal squad size is probably about 25 players

which would represent two for every position plus one extra for each section Defender/midfield/forward.

Askey has also signed a number of versatile players with many able to cover a couple of positions but the one thing that can be counted on is that there will be injuries hence the need for at least four centre backs for example because one will be injured at some point and a matchday squad will need a centre back on the bench likewise the need for three centre forwards because at some point one will be injured and there always has to be one on the bench to change the attack.

Looking at Askey's work on recruitment and the probability that Madison/Browne/Hurst get sorted then it pretty much looks like that concludes business and thinking that the highly rated Cambell-Gordon could get games as back up left back while Berks and Green-Birch could go out on loan then that is 25 players.JOB done.

GK Brown/Madison

RB Gibbons/Evans

CB Legge/Smith/Kennedy/Rawlinson

LB Crookes/Campbell-Gordon

MF Oyeleke/Joyce/Conlon/Lloyd/Burgess/Trickett-Smith/Hurst

WF Worrall/Amoo/Montano/Browne/Whitfield

CF Pope/Cullen/Bennett

Many players are versatile which is essential in a small squad if there are a lot of injuries if needs must.

Evans RB/LB/DM

Rawlinson CB/RB

Kennedy CB/RB

Crookes LB/CB

Worrall WF/MF

Lloyd MF/LB/WF

Hurst MF/LB/WF

Bennet CF/WF

Montano WF/LB

42 minutes ago, Burslem Academicals said:

Askey likes a small squad say 25 and under not 30 plus players....anyway the ideal squad size is probably about 25 players

which would represent two for every position plus one extra for each section Defender/midfield/forward.

Askey has also signed a number of versatile players with many able to cover a couple of positions but the one thing that can be counted on is that there will be injuries hence the need for at least four centre backs for example because one will be injured at some point and a matchday squad will need a centre back on the bench likewise the need for three centre forwards because at some point one will be injured and there always has to be one on the bench to change the attack.

Looking at Askey's work on recruitment and the probability that Madison/Browne/Hurst get sorted then it pretty much looks like that concludes business and thinking that the highly rated Cambell-Gordon could get games as back up left back while Berks and Green-Birch could go out on loan then that is 25 players.JOB done.

GK Brown/Madison

RB Gibbons/Evans

CF Pope/Cullen/Bennett

Many players are versatile which is essential in a small squad if there are a lot of injuries if needs must.

Evans RB/LB/DM

Rawlinson CB/RB

Kennedy CB/RB

Crookes LB/CB

Worrall WF/MF

Lloyd MF/LB/WF

Hurst MF/LB/WF

Bennet CF/WF

Montano WF/LB

I still reckon Sir John has a couple of nuggets up his sleeve to come in on loan.

1 hour ago, Erniemossrules said:

Quality not quantity.

Ed case Ern ,why is it that every season you have a personal vendetta against a Vale player.  Can you not support all our clubs players ,instead of showing some degree of nastiness or ridicule against someone who has done no wrong.

47 minutes ago, Burslem Academicals said:

GK Brown/Madison

RB Gibbons/Evans

CF Pope/Cullen/Bennett

Evans RB/LB/DM

Rawlinson CB/RB

Kennedy CB/RB

Crookes LB/CB

Worrall WF/MF

Lloyd MF/LB/WF

Hurst MF/LB/WF

Bennet CF/WF

Montano WF/LB

Great post.

i suspect it will be as you have outlined here but with Whitfield out and one more in over what you have.

I notice Ben is training with the youth team today. Which is a pretty sever move from the club... maybe a falling out?

I'm guessing he has had an offer from a national league club which he doesn’t want to accept as it’s on less money than he is on here. Therefore maybe he has refused to go and the club are now making him train with the kids to try and force the issue.

12 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Great post.

i suspect it will be as you have outlined here but with Whitfield out and one more in over what you have.

I notice Ben is training with the youth team today. Which is a pretty sever move from the club... maybe a falling out?

I'm guessing he has had an offer from a national league club which he doesn’t want to accept as it’s on less money than he is on here. Therefore maybe he has refused to go and the club are now making him train with the kids to try and force the issue.

Yep, making players train with the youth is a sure sign that the clubs is trying to force the player out. It’s one of the harsh realities of being a footballer when you’re not wanted at a club. 

If true about Whitfield a sad end to a short Port Vale career for a player who promised so much and certainly it would mean Askey would need to get a replacement.....it is a given that Montano will miss games and it is a given that Oyeleke will miss games although Worrall will then play right midfield however in such circumstances that leaves only two wingers in Amoo and Browne with no cover on the bench and so a replacement for Whitfield is essential.

Shame about Whitfield and not one I agree with. It was only this time last year everyone was raving about him and rightly so. Definitely has the class to be a top player in this league, hasn’t been anywhere near consistent enough before is 100% good enough and I’d say one of our better players. I hope if we’re forcing him out we have a decent replacement waiting. Don’t see what is wrong with having Whitfield on the bench can win points by himself. 

1 hour ago, Burslem Academicals said:

GK Brown/Madison

RB Gibbons/Evans

CF Pope/Cullen/Bennett

Evans RB/LB/DM

Rawlinson CB/RB

Kennedy CB/RB

Crookes LB/CB

Worrall WF/MF

Lloyd MF/LB/WF

Hurst MF/LB/WF

Bennet CF/WF

Montano WF/LB

The issue for me with these ‘versatile players’ is that they are generally much worse in their so called secondary position. Look at rawlinson. Decent centre back, awful at right back, same as montano. Decent winger, awful left back. It always worries me seeing players who can apparently play in 4/5 positions but are actually not particularly good in any of them. 

Looking at that squad for me we’re still weak in midfield. If manny gets injured I think we’re a player short there. 

Archived