onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

Advert

18 hours ago, Erniemossrules said:

Don’t be silly we have Amoo to play on the left and Worrall on the right.

Conlon,Oyeleke and Joyce in the middle.

Where do you think Lloyd would fit in?

In fact Whitfield would do a better job.

Bench warmer at best.

Whitfield can't play in a midfield 3 unless there has been a significant improvement in his stamina levels. My gut reaction is Conlon will be ahead of Lloyd but one never knows.

14 hours ago, toyahw said:

In that case I apologise. Askey seemed to put a lot of faith in him last season even rushing him back from injury. But is it time to take the burden off Pope? sure it is. But do we have the personnel at the moment to play a fluent front three all with goals in them? I don't think so. So as will all managers the approach will be pragmatic. Their career is on the line.

This is something I often think people forget. Managers are going to buy crap players, play players out of position, have favourites. It might look like it from the outside, but I doubt it is ever the case. Their head is on the block. This is particularly true of Askey, who does not have Mr Evil to blame if things go its up.

Lloyd, well I can see both sides really. The match against us last season he had bulked up since with us. Harder to push of the ball. Good left foot. But did he look better than Hannant on the day. Not really. Looked like he didn't have the pace for a winger. So I suppose that it is whether you are looking for an upgrade on last season's squad. Probably not. Could he do a job, probably at the same kind of level as we were last season. Probably so.

Amoo is an odd one. He's an out and out winger. He certainly tore us one at Cambridge. But not one of a front three, from his own words.

Maybe this stuff with Askey going 4-3-3 is a bit premature, and he'll use a system to suit the players available. I hope so, because that is the way to go and being predictable just suits the oppo. 

Either way, all the best to them all and let us hope for a better 2019/20 than the last few years. The new owners, and us long serving fans certainly deserve it.

Not sure Amoo has said he can't play in a front 3. He's said his job is to get behind defences and get crosses in. All teams with a front 3 have at least one player you'd describe as a winger otherwise you become too congested in the middle.

Hope to God Askey has brought in players to play his preferred formation. A large part of Aspin's problem was he wanted to play 343 and with hindsight he failed to recruit to do this. Askey has said he wants players in to be able to change how they play, either on the pitch or on the bench. My guess is he's in competition with Worral to start but maybe Worral will be further back.

17 hours ago, toyahw said:

Amoo is an odd one. He's an out and out winger. He certainly tore us one at Cambridge. But not one of a front three, from his own words.

Have you got a link to when he said this? I don’t think he said he can’t play in a front three at all.

He highlighted that he likes to get behind players and get crosses in. Being in a front 3 doesn’t preclude him from doing that at all. Look at the way Man City set up with Sterling.

I think its reasonable to assume that we are more focused this year on what we do when we have the ball, as opposed to being more focused on what we do when we don't.  There is of course a fine balance to this, but from interviews with the manager, and looking at the type of player we have bought in (on the whole) it seems to me that we will be more intent on taking games to other teams, rather than play Aspin-esque counter attack (which was more counter than attack!). The goalkeepers on trial now have a few weeks left to impress for that no.2 slot, so probably just the full back left bring in.  By all accounts Cummings seems to have done well so far. Feel good factor is well and truly back for me.

28 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Didn't Cambridge adopt a front 3 all last season though with 3 from Amoo/Jevani Brown/Azzez + Lamb?

I rated their forward line - pacey, tricks, power. 

We didn't create chances and didn't score. Cambridge created loads of chances ... but couldn't score. Our goals per shot ratio was good Cambridge's was very poor. If we can marry the two we'll be fine.

Just now, JRC said:

We didn't create chances and didn't score. Cambridge created loads of chances ... but couldn't score. Our goals per shot ratio was good Cambridge's was very poor. If we can marry the two we'll be fine.

Essentially this, they often battered teams but couldn't put it in the onion bag, look at our 1-0 defeat for example, we were robbed a draw by a poor linesman but we were battered at times by their front three, Clark was torn to pieces.

3 hours ago, Bradwell Exile said:

I think its reasonable to assume that we are more focused this year on what we do when we have the ball, as opposed to being more focused on what we do when we don't.  There is of course a fine balance to this, but from interviews with the manager, and looking at the type of player we have bought in (on the whole) it seems to me that we will be more intent on taking games to other teams, rather than play Aspin-esque counter attack (which was more counter than attack!). The goalkeepers on trial now have a few weeks left to impress for that no.2 slot, so probably just the full back left bring in.  By all accounts Cummings seems to have done well so far. Feel good factor is well and truly back for me.

Speaking of full backs, Clark must have a twin as I’m sure I saw someone who looked just like him yesterday morning around the ground. But I still think left back is a problem area too with only Crookes for that role. Personally speaking I’d much prefer us to have a dedicated left back than a centre half come left back. 

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

Speaking of full backs, Clark must have a twin as I’m sure I saw someone who looked just like him yesterday morning around the ground. But I still think left back is a problem area too with only Crookes for that role. Personally speaking I’d much prefer us to have a dedicated left back than a centre half come left back. 

I think Campbell-Gordon will get some game time time year. He is only young but is very highly thought of... he is the perfect example of a modern day full back. Tall, fast, athletic and can bomb forward.

The fact that he got a 2 year deal to keep shows how much they think of him. I hear there was at least one Championship club very keen on him.

2 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Agree entirely. Round pegs, round holes.

People suggesting that Montano and Lloyd "can fill in" at left back if Crookes is injured doesn't make any sense to me. None are left backs!

A natural left back that is athletic, can defend and get forward is what we should strive for. Unless Askey thinks Campbell-Gordon can be that man but it might be a lot to ask of an 18-year old and I'd probably prefer him to have a season on loan in mens football somewhere (a la Smith at Torquay).

Stevenage signed Tyler Denton today - could have been a good fit for us?

Denton must of taken the eye when they beat us 2-0 as he was culpable for at least one of the Stevenage goals.

In all seriousness he was quite raw but had something about him for sure. 

I'm in agreement I'd like to see an actual left back but I think it's clear we'll be making do 

Agree entirely. Round pegs, round holes.

People suggesting that Montano and Lloyd "can fill in" at left back if Crookes is injured doesn't make any sense to me. None are left backs!

A natural left back that is athletic, can defend and get forward is what we should strive for. Unless Askey thinks Campbell-Gordon can be that man but it might be a lot to ask of an 18-year old and I'd probably prefer him to have a season on loan in mens football somewhere (a la Smith at Torquay).

Stevenage signed Tyler Denton today - could have been a good fit for us?

Whilst I agree it seemed to help Smith, Gibbo walked into our team after less than half a season with Leek.

If you're ready you're ready. I'm not sure Campbell-Gordon is but let's see

2 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

I think Campbell-Gordon will get some game time time year. He is only young but is very highly thought of... he is the perfect example of a modern day full back. Tall, fast, athletic and can bomb forward.

The fact that he got a 2 year deal to keep shows how much they think of him. I hear there was at least one Championship club very keen on him.

He was excellent at Kidsgrove.

Archived