onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Would Vale get more from Norman by making some sort of peace?

phizz

"You", not "we". Sure you're not defending him? I can see the point you're making but answer this - should Synectics pop up in the Sentinel tomorrow confirming interest at the right, realistic price, would you support his removal?

Yes I would as I said I’m not a fan overall

Advert

This was my point, phizz. There is no logical reason for the owner to hold on to the football club. He claims to be losing money. He claims to be getting abuse. He is disliked by over 90% of his customer base and there are potential buyers out there. Why not just sell? The only conclusion people come to is that he is making money out of the club and if he is, it can only be to the detriment of Port Vale.

With regard to Carol Shanahan, she is not only a "nice lady" as you put it, she is also an extremely astute businesswoman. She and her husband have built up an very successful business which is one of, if not the, biggest employers in Burslem. She has already done a considerable amount of work in the community via the Foundation and continues to help fund it via the car park income. If Synectics was to take over the club it may well not be 100% successful - there are no guarantees - but I am confident that if it were to happen, the club would be run with honesty and integrity. I am confident that the alternative local buyer would do the same.

The reason the current owner gets the treatment he does is because of his total lack of transparency in his dealings and his inability to tell the truth on many occasions. His failure is not just on a footballing level but on his abject failure to carry the fans with him.

As i said if they took over the club and it didn’t go successfully on the field i would bet money they would receive similar treatment.

But Gorman thought he could make money out of being the owner of a lower league club without spending any money.

He has lost the respect of nearly all the fan base which no one believes anything he says.

Initially he was successful and managed to win over the fans when we got promoted.

But now he is reviled and joined the Oystons and Mike Ashley by being hated by the fans.

And my point is them two examples are going nowhere it seems till they are ready, if you can get rid of Norman without damage then fine, but how is that managed.

Just debating a differs slant as nothing else seems to want to make him sell.

By and large people who buyfootball clubs are buying attention / recognition with some of their wealth. Smurf seems quite needy in that regard. When we went up it was all sweet. He’s tried to listen to fans too much at a time when we were making much slower progress in league one and did some daft things. As our trajectory went down, he got the wrong sort of attention and wants out with as little financial loss as possible. I’m not convinced he has / will break even over the whole of his tenure and arguments both sides don’t convince me, the assessments balance sheets are mostly conjecture. He may well be starving the club mow but it’s difficult to say whether that’s minimising losses or making profit. As football owners go, I suspect he’s not that rich.

From the fans as a collective point of view, his or any owner’s moral status is verymuch seen through a lens of whether the team’s successful or not and across time that will be the case for any owner. These issues seem to be theobject of a self perpetuating outrage and I find it very difficult to engage with all that, I’ve seen it all before and will no doubt see it all again.

By and large people who buyfootball clubs are buying attention / recognition with some of their wealth. Smurf seems quite needy in that regard. When we went up it was all sweet. He’s tried to listen to fans too much at a time when we were making much slower progress in league one and did some daft things. As our trajectory went down, he got the wrong sort of attention and wants out with as little financial loss as possible. I’m not convinced he has / will break even over the whole of his tenure and arguments both sides don’t convince me, the assessments balance sheets are mostly conjecture. He may well be starving the club mow but it’s difficult to say whether that’s minimising losses or making profit. As football owners go, I suspect he’s not that rich.

From the fans as a collective point of view, his or any owner’s moral status is verymuch seen through a lens of whether the team’s successful or not and across time that will be the case for any owner. These issues seem to be theobject of a self perpetuating outrage and I find it very difficult to engage with all that, I’ve seen it all before and will no doubt see it all again.

I think the top two sentences are why the owner is still there. Some people thrive on fame, look at the reality star based crap culture we are surrounded by!

Why else would he want to lose money and friends!

Put your money in then and get on with it.

Stupid comment. I've already put money into Vale in decent chucks. I bought shares in V2001 at the very beginning and lost all my money thanks to their incompetence. I bought life season tickets when V2001 were in difficulties and the current owner cancelled them 12 months after we had been told they would be honoured. I've bought season tickets for well over 40 years. I've done voluntary work at the club for ages. And now you want me to buy the club out of my pension??

If I wasn't a lady, I'd tell you to **** off.

Isn’t there a huge points deduction for going into admin for a third time?

That may be the end of the Vale ever exising as a league club as it isn’t an easy road back.

And before anyone says ‘we’re going towards non league anyway’ that’s like saying scrap the car as it’s getting to the point where it’s going to fail. Great if you can buy another new one, We can’t.

Not too long ago apparently the Chairman had done well to listen to the fans (not all of them, granted) and appointed Aspin and Rudge the so called ‘dream team’.

It didn’t work out so we move on and regarding the £400,000 Aspo put us in trouble we’ll before that money was mentioned and I wouldnt have give it to him either.

For the record I thought Aspin was a risk worth taking at the time. Even premier clubs consistently get manager appointments wrong with all the cash they are able to throw at it, is it any suprise that we also don’t have the benefit of hindsight? Same challenges, different level.

Put your money in then and get on with it. It’s easy commenting on where others are failing (it’s a very British trait), it’s a whole different ball game walking a mile in another mans shoes.

Either that or find a rich sheik who loves the Vale!

You are a strange one, so you are happy with vale and its demise,

everything is alright nothing to worry about all is great and a happy ship our owner sails,

when we go down the plug hole at this rate the current season or next one and pass through so our local game is Stafford rangers you are going to be just as dismissive..

people hsve tried to purchase the club he off him but he puts hurdles in the way and stalls the deal by lack of info, when wildes bought us from admin then passed it to the owner we now have other people bid.

so this equals he is doing just fine and is on a nice earner because he has had his money back and more.

season ticket sales will drop massively even if we don't get relegated, the budget in turn will drop with experience players told to leave with youngsters replacing them then repeat the following season and the next

yet you cant see it,

Isn’t there a huge points deduction for going into admin for a third time?

That may be the end of the Vale ever exising as a league club as it isn’t an easy road back.

And before anyone says ‘we’re going towards non league anyway’ that’s like saying scrap the car as it’s getting to the point where it’s going to fail. Great if you can buy another new one, We can’t.

Not too long ago apparently the Chairman had done well to listen to the fans (not all of them, granted) and appointed Aspin and Rudge the so called ‘dream team’.

It didn’t work out so we move on and regarding the £400,000 Aspo put us in trouble we’ll before that money was mentioned and I wouldnt have give it to him either.

For the record I thought Aspin was a risk worth taking at the time. Even premier clubs consistently get manager appointments wrong with all the cash they are able to throw at it, is it any suprise that we also don’t have the benefit of hindsight? Same challenges, different level.

admin might be the only way to get our club back, wonder how that would look being a director of a failed company especially for a financial adviser turned football owner ,, would be better to sell to a proper business man

He's a melt, but let's be honest, if you were abused by a section of the fan base most of you wouldn't give the club a bucket of your own ****. Yes, it's only a minority, but the point stands.

depends how much money I would be making if I had that mindset and didn't care about the company I owned

They absolutely would! Without any doubt

If they; repeatedly lied, took money out of the club whilst on the field we plummeted, made regular PR gaffes, offended fans, destroyed the clubs reputation throughout football, called fans racist, treated players and managers like ****...then yes, they'd be criticised, and rightly so.

Archived