onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Port Vale v Colchester United

Fosse69

Unbeaten in 2019, now for a league win. Too far from Burslem to measure the euphoria, but surely team confidence and morale must be higher after winning a penalty shoot-out. Bit more adventure in our play, better application, game time for Angus and a centenary goal for the Pope should set us on our way. The game is there to be won, it is up to Aspin and the team to show that they can do better things with a streamlined squad, whilst hoping for a crucial signing. Only fly in the ointment Colchester have not won since before Xmas.

Advert

I dread when we play now because some fans just cant wait for us to lose so they can moan their bollox off about Aspin.

I think most (if not all) fans want us to win but moan their b****x off because we don't win. Last home win in the league was in October.

I think most (if not all) fans want us to win but moan their b****x off because we don't win. Last home win in the league was in October.

Some fans wanted us to lose to Lincoln so Aspin got the sack. We went 1-0 down to them and they couldnt wait jump on the managers back. These fans are a special breed.

3 proper strikers/forwards is the way to go imho, like we finished with last night. Miller on the right, Angus on the left, both getting in behind and cutting in. Manny and Conlon playing either side of Kay and doing the tracking back on the flanks and midfield centre. 4 at the back with both FBs supporting the forwards as and when. No chance at all that Apsin will do this, of course. Given that we lost to these away, likely to be to 9-0-1, the tactic that Aspin clearly prefers.

3 proper strikers/forwards is the way to go imho, like we finished with last night. Miller on the right, Angus on the left, both getting in behind and cutting in. Manny and Conlon playing either side of Kay and doing the tracking back on the flanks and midfield centre. 4 at the back with both FBs supporting the forwards as and when. No chance at all that Apsin will do this, of course. Given that we lost to these away, likely to be to 9-0-1, the tactic that Aspin clearly prefers.

I'm sure that when we played these they had full backs that pushed high and linked up with their wingers. If they still play that way then we could get overrun in midfield.

I'm sure that when we played these they had full backs that pushed high and linked up with their wingers. If they still play that way then we could get overrun in midfield.
Fair point but when haven't we been overrun in midfield this season generally?! In any event, if we leave the 3 strikers up, won't that likely cause their fbs to stay back or at least be a lot more cautious, thus affecting their own system? I'd be concentrating on what we can do if so minded rather than the oppo. Aspin forgets that the former is an option.

Fair point but when haven't we been overrun in midfield this season generally?! In any event, if we leave the 3 strikers up, won't that likely cause their fbs to stay back or at least be a lot more cautious, thus affecting their own system? I'd be concentrating on what we can do if so minded rather than the oppo. Aspin forgets that the former is an option.

We could be taking the game to them, especially if we played with proper full backs and wingers. You watch him go 4-5-1 with our 'wingers' dropping deep to try and stop their wing play.

We could be taking the game to them, especially if we played with proper full backs and wingers. You watch him go 4-5-1 with our 'wingers' dropping deep to try and stop their wing play.

That would be adventurous for him. Manny et al will all be sitting on the edge of our 18 yard box for 85 minutes.

Watched the first half on Vale till i die last night and apart from Gibbons making constant runs down the right and joining in i wasnt that impressed with what else i was seeing as i think we have to many one paced players .

Second half i only watched from 82 minute and how much better do we look with Miller and Dior up there too as when we scored the goal a great ball in from Hannant and the same player volleying over after impressive build up play along the left .

New signings a must i think and at home you cannot have 2 sitting players like Kay and Joyce .

That's exactly what happened. We had Monty at left back and he and Hannant were all at sea on the flanks, especially when their full back pushed up. As he did so, their midfield joined in and I remember Manny also having a torrid time trying to cope with their movement. They'd really done their homework on us and tore us apart. I was amazed we got away with just conceding two and Nouble in particular missed a sitter, completely open goal as I remember.

They are also a big, physical side and it's made me wonder whether Aspo will resort to playing Rawlinson, Legge and Smith in a back three or as part of a back four just to give us some height. This would be a big mistake in my view because we need to keep them on the back foot, especially with our full backs. They've conceded 18 away from home - 6 more than us - and attack would be the best form of defence. They also conceded 3 at home on Saturday, having conceded just 9 in their previous 12 home games, so something is going wrong for them defensively at present.

So, some difficult tactical decisions for Aspo in a difficult game but it's time to get on the front foot if you ask me, while they are in an indifferent spell (one win in their last 5). C'mon, Aspo, let's get at them. You know it makes sense!

That's exactly what happened. We had Monty at left back and he and Hannant were all at sea on the flanks, especially when their full back pushed up. As he did so, their midfield joined in and I remember Manny also having a torrid time trying to cope with their movement. They'd really done their homework on us and tore us apart. I was amazed we got away with just conceding two and Nouble in particular missed a sitter, completely open goal as I remember.

They are also a big, physical side and it's made me wonder whether Aspo will resort to playing Rawlinson, Legge and Smith in a back three or as part of a back four just to give us some height. This would be a big mistake in my view because we need to keep them on the back foot, especially with our full backs. They've conceded 18 away from home - 6 more than us - and attack would be the best form of defence. They also conceded 3 at home on Saturday, having conceded just 9 in their previous 12 home games, so something is going wrong for them defensively at present.

So, some difficult tactical decisions for Aspo in a difficult game but it's time to get on the front foot if you ask me, while they are in an indifferent spell (one win in their last 5). C'mon, Aspo, let's get at them. You know it makes sense!

This was the game where at 2-0 Aspin subbed Gibbons for Legge and put Rawlinson right back and said it was to add more height to the side, when aerially we weren't having a problem on the wings. Hannant and Monty had a nightmare with their right back and right winger, I'm sure the goals came from them not following runners. We definitely need to try and force them back rather than let them come on to us. I'd be playing Clark and Gibbons for sure, we could go with 2 alongside Pope and play them high in the hope it keeps their full backs in. But I'd be tempted to say that Aspin will probably end up going with a midfield 5 with hopefully someone from there breaking to get up with Pope.

Colchester have been leaking goals recently and are not in good form since beating MK to overtake them a few weeks ago so more winnable that it previously looked.

Toughy but if we can get something here dare I say it we have a couple of months with some favourable fixtures not that we've shown that we can win them in recent weeks!

They are also a big, physical side and it's made me wonder whether Aspo will resort to playing Rawlinson, Legge and Smith in a back three or as part of a back four just to give us some height.

He's got a track record for that kind of logic. Who can forget the inclusion of Pugh against Lincoln with the same attempted justification.....

This was the game where at 2-0 Aspin subbed Gibbons for Legge and put Rawlinson right back and said it was to add more height to the side, when aerially we weren't having a problem on the wings. Hannant and Monty had a nightmare with their right back and right winger, I'm sure the goals came from them not following runners. We definitely need to try and force them back rather than let them come on to us. I'd be playing Clark and Gibbons for sure, we could go with 2 alongside Pope and play them high in the hope it keeps their full backs in. But I'd be tempted to say that Aspin will probably end up going with a midfield 5 with hopefully someone from there breaking to get up with Pope.

Back to Groundhog Day with one up front then when we concede bringing a forward on. Rawlinson back at right back.

Why do we have to go a goal down before he changes it?

Stick Miller or Angus up front with Pope and Whitfield and Monty to occupy their full backs from the start.

But does a leopard change its spots.

Archived