onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Yesterday's lessons

old sage

Advert

These are the most important aspects of the game on saturday that the club should be analysing (and I'm sure they will). The response of the first aiders and also any problems they may have encountered in using their radios or getting hold of a defib machine.

Having looked it up Defibs cost around a grand each. This charity

https://www.communityheartbeat.org.uk/need-help-

fundraising

Helps raise money for defibs and can advise on the best.

Perhaps the supporters club could look into raising enough for 5 or 6 that could be permanently sited in the stands

Having looked it up Defibs cost around a grand each. This charity

https://www.communityheartbeat.org.uk/need-help-

fundraising

Helps raise money for defibs and can advise on the best.

Perhaps the supporters club could look into raising enough for 5 or 6 that could be permanently sited in the stands

What were the stewards doing? There are St John Ambulance people at VP for games and I think West Mids Ambulance paramedics. Both would be trained in the use of a defibrillator - despite previous posts to the contrary, you need to be trained in its use (I'm a qualified first aider and was told this in training) and a priority would be to get someone qualified to the casualty. The stewards are I believe trained to use their radios to do this, so did the system work properly or not?

Went to the ticket office at 1pm and there was no queue. If you are turning up at 2.50pm I don't think a queue should be a surprise. Get there earlier.

I queued for 20 mins from 2:10pm , having travelled from Derby

These new defibs don’t reslly need training, they’re super smart. Just do what it tells you to do, especially if it says stand clear!

All the public defibrillator units I've seen need you to obtain a release code from the Ambulance Service - they're in a locked box. As soon as you get it you take it to the casualty, by which time the paramedics or first responders are with you, then they operate the defibrillator.

The ones I’ve seen are slap on the pads where it tells,you push the button it tells you, do your ABC, if it VF it teels you to stop cpr and stand back, shocks, tells you to get on with it again. I’m not aware of release codes but it will be different systems in different areas I guess. They’re pretty amazing bits of kit but defibrillation is only life saving in a minority of cases. Widespread knowledge of cpr and willingness to have a go are more helpful buut I’m afraid it’s still only a minority of people you get back from the arrythmia to arrest route.

The ones I’ve seen are slap on the pads where it tells,you push the button it tells you, do your ABC, if it VF it teels you to stop cpr and stand back, shocks, tells you to get on with it again. I’m not aware of release codes but it will be different systems in different areas I guess. They’re pretty amazing bits of kit but defibrillation is only life saving in a minority of cases. Widespread knowledge of cpr and willingness to have a go are more helpful buut I’m afraid it’s still only a minority of people you get back from the arrythmia to arrest route.

I don't disagree with you, but all my training tells me that I continue CPR until a medical professional tells me otherwise (or the casualty starts breathing). I've never used a defibrillator and would be wary of using one until I'd been trained.

This has come up before on here, after Mellor! and Wez successfully resuscitated that Huddersfield fan after the cup game.

Defibs are extremely straightforward, being designed for the lowest common denominator. a child could use one. The new ones even play a CGI video of where to place the chest leads. They will not induce a shock unless it positively identifies fibrillation. Even if you're not shocking they are good to get on as you can use them as an ECG.

As V62 says though unfortunately they only work for arrhythmias. They'll do nothing for asystole/properly stopped heart. Best you can do is continuous energetic CPR/rescue breaths and wait for the Paramedics who have epi/adrenaline.

This has come up before on here, after Mellor! and Wez successfully resuscitated that Huddersfield fan after the cup game.

Defibs are extremely straightforward, being designed for the lowest common denominator. a child could use one. The new ones even play a CGI video of where to place the chest leads. They will not induce a shock unless it positively identifies fibrillation. Even if you're not shocking they are good to get on as you can use them as an ECG.

As V62 says though unfortunately they only work for arrhythmias. They'll do nothing for asystole/properly stopped heart. Best you can do is continuous energetic CPR/rescue breaths and wait for the Paramedics who have epi/adrenaline.

How do you know which it is, and therefore which method to use?

Regarding queuing and tickets, there are surely a number of things the club could do to make the match day experience smoother.

1) Price the match day tickets at round values - say £20 for Adults and £15 Concessions (£10 for all for an unimportant cup match). That way, turnstile operators could be given floats of purely £5 and £10 notes so that people can pay on the gate. Then the ticket office would only be needed for picking up season tickets, pre-bought tickets, or people wishing to pay on card.

2) Postage on season tickets - The club asked fans to pick it up from the shop, which although slightly amateur I understand reasoning for. However, there should be an option for people who would rather have them delivered for a small fee. The club could make a bit more money off this fee, and wouldn't have to post all season cards out.

3) Improve and continually advertise the online ticketing system - I've used it. It's okay if a little outdated, but if works if one has a computer and printer. If, as already mentioned, they could implement a barcode that could be scanned from a phone they could bring the club into the 21st century. However I don't feel many people really know this is an option. I play in a band and we constantly advertise where and when you can get tickets when we play shows. Facebook or twitter posts advertising online ticket sales by the club could help not only aide the queue problem but also push a few more tickets.

Also RE: the tannoy - it's been broken for 3 years now. I'm starting to think no-one actually knows it's faulty in our stand, so it might be worth raising to someone at some point. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I personally quite like Glad All Over, it helps the celebrations go on a bit longer and gets people who wouldn't usually chant singing along.

How do you know which it is, and therefore which method to use?

The Defib analyses the rhythm (or lack thereof). The public/consumer units won't let you shock unless it's a suitable arrhythmia.

You'd always do CPR anyway and then find out from an ECG/the automated defib whether it's asystole or arrhythmia, CPR is valid for both. The heart is beating but very irregularly and with reduced output and the patient will be unconscious from the sudden blood pressure drop. You still need to do compressions to maintain decent blood flow and get Oxygen flowing. The defib is to try and recover to a normal self-sustaining sinus rhythm.

I have to retrain on this stuff on the regular at work. If you ever get in this situation just compress down very hard with both hands at 120bpm. A lot of people don't do it hard enough; It sounds mental but breaking the ribs in the process is not a bad thing. You have to be quite forceful with it.

Archived