onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Favourite loan players to play for us

darren1810

Advert

Tony Sealey was electrifying - one of those players who, when he got the ball, always attacked, took players on for pace, skinned them, and did something at the end of it - usually a score or an assist. I loved watching him terrify defenders at Vale Park - getting him on loan from Palace was a real coup, and if we could have kept him, he would have become a club legend, I have no doubt. I'm trying to think of a player in the same mould that has played for the Vale, and I can't think of many - small, manure off a digging implement in terms of pace, direct, entertaining, great outlet if we were under the cosh. Give it to Tony, then watch him tear the oppo apart. Great player for us.

We've had some good ones down the years, and we've had some duffers too. The last decade has seen more of the latter, mainly I guess because we've been skint and unable to get players in. Maybe Aspo's integrity and decency will attract some Championship reserve players who have heard he plays it honestly? Then again...

Might need some help with these: I think we had a very industrious midfielder from Barnsley(?) called martin Bullock? Also, was Bobby Thomson (Wolves) on loan with us? I remember he tightened our defence up, considerably, but didn't seem to be with us for long? And Randy Samuel(s)??? - again, didn't seem to be with us for long? Scruffy Southall was a master signing for us - was never sure how we managed that?

Bullock from Barnsley was a skilful but slight winger. I think he scored against QPR which was one of the few matches I managed to go to that season, but he didn't do a great deal else.

Samuel had a decent run for a few games during the autumn of 1995 but I think he got injured just before Christmas and didn't play again until the easter weekend. he had a couple of stinkers and wasn't seen again after being hauled off during an Easter Monday home defeat v Oldham.

Andy Jones back on loan. That goal against Brentford. The utter joy in the ground seeing him finally do what he did best. Is it available on you tube? I daren't look.

Colin Gibson - think he was on loan from Man Yoo. Added some quality and experience to the squad.

Kevin Bartlett ... only joking.

I think Row L you might mean David Lowe who I mentioned in original post.

Proper grafter and skilful too

Thats him. bloody brilliant he was. Thanks. Its been driving me nuts and my old man memory isn't what it was! :)

The fact that after almost 40 years so many say Tony Sealy confirms how good he was. He played in the worse Vale team in modern times. His arrival was the start of our renaissance. John Rudge had not long been here. I wonder what Rudgie would say about this excellent thread?

Keith Leonard and Neville Southall for me. Leonard was huge and you could not knock him off the ball. I thought we had a chance of signing him permanently but he had a storming game near the end of his loan spell where he was watched by some of his home club ( Villa )management. They promptly recalled him and he got into their 1st team.

Southall was immense, best keeper I have ever seen in a Vale shirt including Ken Hancock

Archived