Sign in to follow this  
alwaysvaleme

Missing posts

Back to more boring stuff (rant over).

Another reason for the change is there is a new data protection law coming in. I only hold information such as - your username, IP address, email address, any profile info (e.g. you may have put your location or age in), your posts and PM (the latter being private).

It's very limited (no address, no billing info) but under the new laws I still have a duty to keep the data secure and to act on users' wishes.

Under the new laws I am obliged to let people know that a) where the data is being stored and b) remove someone's details completely if they wish.

As well as the new server being more reliable, it's location in the UK will help with this. I think it's fair to say that in 21 years I have only had three communications with lawyers (one being with a former director long gone) so it's a rare event but this new server move (and the loss of the posts) also plays a minor role in complying with new data protection and keeping the very limited data I have on you safe and secure. It means if I ever do have to comply with data protection I can call (which I couldn't do as easy with the server based in California that I used to use).

Sorry if that was as boring as the recent game against Newport but it does explain another reason for the move...

If this forum carry’s on the way it is with missing posts etc then it’ll be going same way as Vale at the minute....down the pan!

I’ve had them many posts go missing today I’ve lost count, shocking!

Rob’s made you look a right cock

It was very weird over the weekend, I could see things on the front page but then I'd click through into a totally different thread, and newer posts weren't showing at all when I navigated round the forums. However I've logged in at work this morning and everything looks OK. So either something has been fixed overnight or it is/was an issue with my browser at home.

It was very weird over the weekend, I could see things on the front page but then I'd click through into a totally different thread, and newer posts weren't showing at all when I navigated round the forums. However I've logged in at work this morning and everything looks OK. So either something has been fixed overnight or it is/was an issue with my browser at home.
One for Rob, but out of interest had you not logged out during the changeover period so were picking up old info ?

Probably part of the migration and caching issues. It does take 24-72 hours for it to take total effect. :smile:

Thank you. My capacity to determine what is "tongue in cheek" and what is not simply by reading text on a screen is still no better... it must be due to twenty odd years of people continually telling me OVF is "going downhill" is "rubbish" and so on.

It's also probably down to a lot of work in recent evenings to get the site onto a new server and get rid of the reliability problems we were getting on the other server. When you've done all that and you see people moaning it does rile you...

It would be nice if people were a bit more positive about the site. Even though it is my "baby" I personally would rather be on a structured, moderated forum than the "wild west" of Facebook groups where (often) anything goes. Considering OVF is free to use and is staffed by unpaid volunteers I would think a little more appreciation of the team wouldn't go amiss.

And if you don't like OVF, why come on here to tell us, just go and use Facebook or something and leave. It's the people who come on OVF to tell me that it's no good that I can't understand. I don't like soaps on TV so I don't watch them - I don't write to the producers of Coronation St telling them the programme's rubbish!

Or maybe all these years looking after OVF has left me with a sense of humour bypass some days :wink:

I have to say Rob, OVF is by far the best football forum I've been onto. I regularly browse the tow local clubs' and also often other teams in our league. NOTHING compares

Very odd.

At work OVF is fine.

On my phone using mobile data it's fine as well.

On my phone at home using my home wifi it goes back to not showing newer posts.

On my laptop at home using my home wifi it doesn't show newer posts either.

However, on my laptop at home connecting to the wifi from the bar round the corner it's fine.

So it's something to do with my ISP caching something. I think.

When it doesn't work properly, the front page is still up to date but when I click through into a thread, either doesn't exist, or it sends me to a different thread entirely, or it goes through to the right thread but with newer posts missing.

on a lighter note, thought the thread was about someone nicking the the goals at vale park..

Seriously anyone moaning about a free site with free competitions and well monitored should offer their help and put in - fair enough being constructive but some posts are way over the top and out of line moaning about something that is set up by volunteers for the benefit of all, to all those that make it happen thank you and keep up the good work its appreciated especially in current times with our club helping to give fans a platform

Run ipconfig /flushdns in command prompt.

Tried the OsX equivalent of that in Terminal

sudo dscacheutil -flushcache; sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

Still hasn't worked though.

Sorry some of you are still having problems.

Effectively, all I have done is copy the entire site to a new server. I have then instructed the domain hosting company for onevalefan.co.uk to point it to the new server's IP address. It should flush automatically through the internet in 24-48 hours.

But the request was done on Friday so it should be done by now.

I was told there is a way in Windows of setting the domain name to pull in the new IP (it's actually how I tested it before I made the switch - I was checking out the "new" server for a couple of days to check all was well).

I can pass those instructions on via PM if any Windows users are still having issues.

I hope that helps and hope any problems stop soon...