onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brexit again...

Davebrad

Show me one person who honestly believed that the whole of turkey was going to come to the UK?

Well the bloke who berated me in the middle of Hanley on the day before the referendum certainly believed we were going to be inundated with Turks.

That wasn't a lie. Turkey were applying for EU membership and should they be successful then they would enjoy the same freedom of movement of everyone else.

How many of the 32 criteria for membership had Turkey met in 2016? I think you’ll find the answer was one. The chances of Turkey becoming an EU member at that stage we’re virtually nil and any one of the 28 member states could have vetoed their membership at any point.

Whether or not it played on peoples prejudices is another story. But it wasn't a lie.

OK then it wasn’t a lie. In that case none of the predictions made by the Remain campaign were lies. It was just a case of everyone handling the truth very carelessly.

Advert

A bit? How much do you think these people make?

Investment decisions? It's a strategic decision, not an investment one. Do you think that, based on the contacts and knowledge he has, he wasn't consulted?

I appreciate that you were attempting to correct what was an incorrect statement. But you're missing the point. The only point. And it's got f*ck all to do with making money.

It makes perfect business sense that Somerset Capital Management would set up an office in Ireland, in the same way that many other firms, such as Legal & General, M&G and JP Morgan have done. It gives them access to EU clientele and the EU market. So far, so good.

Except I don't see any major shareholders of those companies on TV and radio every. single. day. saying how it's going to be ace outside the EU, how much richer Britain will be when they can strike their own trade deals, how things on the shelves will be cheaper for ordinary British people. How many ordinary British people do you think are investors in the Somerset Emerging Markets Fund? You have to be a wholesale investor, it's not for Doris's pension.

Within its prospectus, Somerset warned its Irish fund could face challenges because of the UK’s withdrawal from the EU, warning of “considerable uncertainty” in the period before and after Brexit.

“The impact of such events on a fund is difficult to predict but there may be detrimental implications for the value of certain of the fund’s investments, or its ability to enter into transactions or to value or realise such investments,” the prospectus adds.

They did it all as a disaster mitigation, because they know it will be a disaster. If that is not the case, could you answer me as to why they, or other companies never did it prior to 2016?

Good old Jacob, champion of the poor. Your problem, is that you can't see the wood for the trees.

So you are saying no other companies moved to Ireland prior to the Referendum?Nothing could be further from the truth.

Hundreds did including Microsoft,Apple,eBay Twitter and Paypal.

It's called branching out.

Cedar connection.

Regal, a prediction that doesn't come true is not a lie, the weather predictions made by the Met Office that don't come true are not lies.

A threat is not a lie.

350m to the NHS was a lie a damned big lie.

Not quite!

Let's say it was just a bad estimate.

£20.5bn a year will be going to the NHS,which works out at £395m a week.

I see that idiot Grayling has now made a U-turn on his ludicrous decision to give Seaborne Freight a contract.

He's a walking disaster with very few brain cells, yet we are supposed to be relying on him and his cronies to sort out Brexit!

Probably another spoiling tactic by the EU?

His department said it had terminated the contract after Irish company*Arklow*Shipping, which had backed Seaborne Freight,stepped away from the deal.*

Then why add in the number that didn't vote at all?

Would it make it better if there was opposition to the opposition?

People happy with the status quo are less likely to vote, although there were protest votes against the Govt/Austerity in the leave total, so opposition to the reality can come from either. My opposition is to a parliament that cannot think for its self but is herded by the whips, maybe it is always like that and goes unnoticed by most people.

Honesty is not implicit in democracy, I'm sorry to tell you.

Democracy is simply the people choosing who represents them. It has nothing to do with the representatives being honest or being libra or whether or not they like cornflakes.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it but I would suggest that opinion is very much in the minority.

So if the people who are choosing a representative are choosing someone who tells lies to either get elected or lies to make a point or push a policy through then it doesn't auger well for the success or future of that democracy, its common sense. Honesty in the democratic process is one of the traits that separates the UK from corrupt failing countries around the world.

https://democracywatch.ca/honesty-in-politics-is-the-best-policy-and-so-it-should-be-required-by-law/

https://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2013/05/democracy_is_founded_on_honest.html

Of course we cannot cut net immigration, we don't control our borders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My point was Farage and Johnson made reducing immigration by two thirds a central campaign promise of the leave campaign hence they lied cause they knew it couldn't be done just like you know. I'm pleased you agree with me on this point. Farage and Johnson lied, period and many Brexiteers bought it hook line and sinker.

Not true. We should control our borders for non EU immigration but nobody seems to enforce that control. We are not part of Schengen so you can’t just walk into the country.

Did you ever think that maybe the Non EU nationals that we are struggling to stop entering into the country are arriving via the EU route...getting into Europe and gaining EU passports?

If you doubt it then why has Germany allowed most of Asia in

Archived