onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Would you welcome Norman Smurthwaite back at the helm?

Martino Knockavelli

Would you welcome Norman back at the helm?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Would you welcome Norman back at the helm?

Advert

Did he ever leave?

I don't see there is a choice.As we stand just now I don't have enough confidence in him.He confuses to many people with his contradictions.

But he is all we have and he knows this.He has total control and we have no choice

I absolutely, 100% would not welcome him back.

To be clear, this is a matter of ability not attitude (although I think his attitude stinks also)

Norman has proven again and again that he doesnt know what he is doing (admitting as much last night.

He has made bad decision after bad decision.

I don't trust him to suddenly start making good decisions.

Therefore he is not the right man for the job.

He says he doesnt need the money and could 'give the vale away'

So he is just a sad bloke who refuses to admit he is incapable of success at the vale whilst at the same time sinking us to bottom of the league.

He is feeding his own ego whilst playing with something we love.

He is like a surgeon (who has never done surgery before) operating on a much loved family member...

After mangling the inside of the body for an hour or two and sending it into cardiac arrest, he is walking out of the theatre and saying "I don't need this job, but my own pride says I reckon I can save the patient so I refuse to walk away"

And a bunch of you are actually sitting up and begging him to go back in. Fools.

As has already been said, he didn't really go away.

He has veered from extreme risk (Bruno) back to safety first, via a seismic temper tantrum.

Seems to be (finally) gathering a team around him who know their departments.

If he can play the figurehead role and otherwise stay out of things, then there is hope.

He really needs to keep his ego and temper out of the public domain.

Let Colin Garlick do that; he seems pretty good at putting across moderate, sensible and considered views; Norman isn't!

This latest development convinces me further that Norman isn't going away, so we have to hope that he is learning.

he has never been away from the tiller . norman has created this whole manure storm through inept decisions one after the next , now he is trying to portray himself as some sort of saviour , its laughable . he accepts all criticism and realises his mistakes have already cost us (3 million + of debt now) already . I do not want him back in the visual "big chair" I want him to sell up and go . he obviously won't though , even though vale fans are racist , scumbag , pondlife and for the fact that he feels numb towards the club. WHY HANG ON NORMAN ? don't forget on Saturday he said he didn't need the money (his own words) .

our club is dying on its feet because of poor leadership from the top and with him here nothing will change .

Good question ! I like all Vale fans just want the club to succeed and gives us something to shout about on the football pitch again. Norman is a complex person,and I really thought he wanted to see the club fold, but after listening to his interviews over the last couple of days, I think we all should get behind him (sometimes its better the devil you know ).There are a few on OVF who have said they can never forgive him for his mistakes, well to those people I would say lets all give him another chance, stop the continual sniping and give him a chance. I think hes probably learned an awful lot this past 2 years, and hes a character who feeds on success and adulation. One thing for sure he will put his money where his mouth is, however it is wrapped up in the company accounts, it has to come from somewhere ( do we really think there is anybody else out there who could do this )He now has a good CEO in place, who is respected within football circles, and with the right appointments in the near future (manager/director of football) the season could still turn out not so bad, but it really needs all us fans no matter what our personal opinions are to get behind him and the club, what a turn around it could be if things worked right and we pushed for the play offs (which is still achievable) if we all shout as one instead of continually berating the owner . SO FOR ME ITS A YES LETS GIVE HIM A CHANCE SUPPORT OUR FOOTBALL CLUB , BIGHT OUR TONGUES FOR A FEW MONTHS AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

If the bumbling buffoonery stops then yes. If he appoints a great manager then yes. If he stops being loyal to managers that are crap and accepts that this is football and it is a results orientated business then yes. If he can deliver football that is value for money then yes.

So that's a no then.

Its good to see that that after the catchphrase 'the squad needs time to gel' has fallen by the wayside, the members of OVF have managed to concoct a replacement.

"he's learnt from his mistakes".

I feel like I've read those 5 words a million times since Saturday night.

Imagine me doing to my business what he's done to the Vale.

"Yeah sorry shareholders, I've decimated your stock of any value. I could have liquidated this company you know".

"That's fine, without any proof to support this, we believe you've learnt from from your mistakes. Continue with haste, Hagrid"

Sorry to disappoint but the squad does need time (and direction) to gel, the raw materials there are half decent.

As for Norman, between Garlick and Adams (if the later comes in as DoF) there's good advice available, he needs to take it and not drive himself crazy on social media.

If the bumbling buffoonery stops then yes. If he appoints a great manager then yes. If he stops being loyal to managers that are crap and accepts that this is football and it is a results orientated business then yes. If he can deliver football that is value for money then yes.

... sadly, we all know he can't do these things. However much we don't want him back, (though he never really went anywhere) we have no choice in the matter. If he wishes to stick his oar in again, and make more disastrous decisions, there is little we can do.

I would. If for no other reason than we need someone to make strong decisions and to lead us out of the position we are in currently.

It seems support is growing but it would be interesting to put it to a vote.

When has he ever made strong decisions?

When has he ever shown that he can lead us out of the position we are in? *he admitted that the only input he had in the promotion season was to change the menu in the corporate areas because 'there's only so much you can do with mince'.

The guy has been at the helm for nearly 5 years and seems to have less idea than he had at the beginning. He bought a football club without knowing, inherited a manager but hasn't appointed an adequate replacement since, has alienated the fanbase through accusations of racism and physical attacks, has turned a debt free club into one that owes him over £3m - worsening our league position in that time, and despite 'not needing the money' refuses to set a realistic valuation of the club and/or entertain offers for the club.

The ridiculously low standards that some Vale fans are willing to accept is scary. This is a guy who's approach to recruiting a new manager is 'we'll wait to see who replies, it'll be the same old journeymen trying to get back into the game'. And we wonder why he's got every appointment completely wrong since MA left the building. Some Vale fans have a non-league mentality and sooner rather than later the fans will get their wish. Hope they enjoy Bromley away next season.

Archived