onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Which experienced keeper should Vale sign?

robf

The is a joke. We have handed contracts to 4 keepers and three aren't good enough. We have had about 9-10 keepers over the last two years. What kind of planning has been done concerning our recruitment policy. These contingencies should have been foreseen.

it is crazy we don't have a spine to our team should always get your targets over the line then fill where necessary , happy with kay/smith at the back,happy with a fit lainton(but not if he has a bad injury record), forwards a mish mash trial and error although happy with pope ,midfield non-existent and struggle to have one/2 that will last continual games and get box to box and control the game.

It seems like we are grabbing at a formulae that works , turner,pyke,harness,montano,whitfield all have played on the wing in the 3 competitive games to date -should be sorted in friendlies then honed/tweaked as the season gathers momentum..

Advert

I forgot about that. Four keepers signed, three not good enough and one with a bad injury record (a familiar story) who is already injured after one and a half games. It's a bonkers situation. If you want a young keeper to develop but isn't ready, he is your third choice who gets loaned out to a non league side, and you sign an old head for a reserve who capable, happy for another year or two contract and can offer coaching to the other keepers.

I'll stick up for Michael Brown but he has got this badly wrong.

Two games into the season and he wants a new keeper, although having 4 on the books.

I said it when we signed Hornby that we don't learn. It really seems we don't.

It appears a case of deja vu but I err on the side of pragmatism, sign a decent keeper on loan as it's the most imortant position on the field. We saw enough in the 2nd half of last season of playing well and conceding to school yard goalkeeping errors.

It appears a case of deja vu but I err on the side of pragmatism, sign a decent keeper on loan as it's the most imortant position on the field. We saw enough in the 2nd half of last season of playing well and conceding to school yard goalkeeping errors.

I'm not knocking that. So why have we 4 pro keepers on the books yet it seems none are good enough and Lainton is a crock?

It's really poor.

Only repeating what everyone else has said, absolutely incredulous situation.

I am like a broken record going back to January, why on earth does Ryan Boot keep getting a contract? I do not want to be harsh and a football career is hard to come by, only a select few are lucky enough. But Ryan is 23 in November not a 17 year old chancer. If firstly Page, then Bruno and latterly Brown feel the same then why a continual renewal of his deal ? They clearly don't trust the lad as with Hornby already.

I might be wrong here as my mind does play tricks but i am sure Popey in his article and also Bury fans said Lainton is a great keeper when he isn't on the treatment table, indeed that was why he lost his place at Bury.

You can't make it up....to me to you ...to me to you

This is the problem with the loan system now days.we might have been able to get say a Chris Neal for a month but now it's a season or a half season.Even a non contract keeper couldn't play for another team till window reopens.

We are the architects of our own downfall here London. You are spot on, a loan keeper would have to be here till January at the minimum, which begs the question will an experienced keeper come to sit on the bench once Lainton is fit, alternatively we find Lainton can't get his place back and he is on the bench thus wasting vital budget money that should be going on a young midfielder with legs or another striker.

And if he now doesn't bring a keeper in, then how confident does he expect Hornby to be on Saturday, after going public that he does not think he is ready!

Or does he go in the opposite direction & try to prove him wrong?

Definitely Chris Neal if possible

Been on the bench for all 3 games so far so unlikely they would let him go out on loan. Maybe if he was 3rd choice, but not 2nd I don't think. Great 2nd choice keeper for L1. Depends on what the player wants though, he didn't want to be 2nd string for us at the time & wanted games so who knows?

If a budget won't stretch to affording 2 experienced keepers at our level then at some point we will have to rely on our back up keeper, (and after all thats the whole point of them), we can't be lucky all the time and avoid injuty or suspension to our number one choice. Sometimes you find in adversity that the player steps up and takes his chance, hopefully Hornby will.

If MB does not put trust in the players he has given contracts to then he has obviously made a huge mistake and wasted money. At 23, Boot should now be up to it or released. Hornby should be given confidence by Brown, not undermined.

These mistakes and public examples of poor management do not instill confidence in the manager. MB seems to be making the same mistakes that were made in the club in January in terms of goalkeeper recruitment. The summer was the opportunity to ensure the squad had two reliable keepers and a young 3rd choice with potential as an emergency back up.

Chopping and changing of the team from one week to the next is not good. Injuries force this obviously but all this resting of players (especially in August) is b*******.

Archived