onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Signings - Part 2

Aussie Rules

Advert

I'm not really sure what the issue is with signing a 34 year old. The age of some of the squad doesn't matter as long as they do a job for us, and as long we've got the younger players around them to develop. Then in a couple of years time you just replace the eperienced heads with more experienced heads. Its about having a good balance of experience and youth.

No it dosent make sense to offer a 34 year old a 2 year deal. End of.

Wrong!! At the end of the day he's experienced I work in construction and can tell you I'd rather have an experienced guy/woman alongside me who isn't likely to have a day off injured

Get behind Kay he could be just what Nathan Smith needs with him , bikes proved it end of last season

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Clearly we all have our opinions on giving a 34 year old a 2 year deal but it might be out of necessity as time is ticking and Mirfin rejected us so perhaps we are down to the bottom of page 3 now and getting a little desperate. Who knows?

But we'd normally have the nucleus of a first team back today and have only 3-4 places to fill and not still be searching for 8-9 players. To build some team spirit, ethos and cohesion we need to get some lads through the door asap.

Kay seems like he's just what we need - experienced, a captain, played at a higher level, an ideal foil for Smith and Davis. He seems to play a lot of games and keeps fit.

Does this mean no Bikey? Possibly. And Purkiss has now gone as well. Few have accepted their offers & want to stay here as we're still in a state of flux and in a huge rebuilding stage - again.

Slightly more positively we have sold about 2600 tickets to date so should pass the 3000 mark by Friday.

Keep the faith!

Slightly more positively we have sold about 2600 tickets to date so should pass the 3000 mark by Friday.

Keep the faith!

There'll be virtually no tickets sold after the deadline and very few pay on the gate punters next season. We're looking at scraping 3k for home games.

It's been a shameful "effort" to sell season tickets, yet again.

Can't disagree with you but we never seem to make a huge effort do we, apart from the big campaign a few years ago? Can't say that I've heard or seen much around the city or on the radio.

At least the Club seems as if it is making an effort now to e-mail supporters. I've had 2 in the past 10 days - one about Father's Day and another about renewing my ticket which I did yesterday. A tiny positive but a welcome start.

We'll see a few more than 3000 I think, and youngsters and pay on the gate will boost it a bit, plus a few hundred away fans (at best!)

It's all down to how many good players we can sign and how competitive we can be next year. Fail again and we'll struggle to get 3300. Win games and get on a roll and we might be pushing 4500-5000.

Fingers crossed.

Just checked the dates on our signings last season. By end of June we had made 5 new signings (Pereira, Reg, Defraitas, KK, MacIntosh), then we signed 3 on the 5th July (Kiko, Tavaras, Salerio), then Mbamba on the 9th, Forrester & JT on the 12th, ,Amoras and Fergason the 20th, then nothing until the season started.

Basically, calm down people there will be more to come!

There'll be virtually no tickets sold after the deadline and very few pay on the gate punters next season. We're looking at scraping 3k for home games.

It's been a shameful "effort" to sell season tickets, yet again.

Usually agree with you, Smithie, but on this one I'm not so sure.

Have no idea re: marketing the ST's as I live out of the area, but in terms of 'very few pay on the day punters' I'm not sure what brings that impression. We saw last time we dropped to this level that it actually galvanised our supporter base and the number of home fans coming through the gates (especially in our final two campaigns) were higher than in L1. I'm not at all confident that we're anywhere near ready to challenge but there's a lot to be said for winning matches and being in a league where fans actually believe we can get promoted. No sane Vale fans ever believed we would go up from L1 during our stint, and it takes away a lot of the fun.

As a pay on the day punter, I'm more likely to drag my arse upto Burslem in Feb/March if we're top half in L2 with half a chance of sneaking into the PO's (regardless of the opposition) than being 16th in L1 going nowhere (regardless of opposition). As TheSage says, if we get on roll and there's any type of hope that we're heading in the right direction, people will turn up. Not saying I like that way of thinking (would rather we had 4500 locked in on ST's) but I think it's more realistic than 'very few pay on the gate'.

There may have been other L2 clubs interested in A.Kay, but would only offer a one year contract.

A two year contract might have been instrumental in getting Kay to sign for Port vale.

If he had signed for a L2 club e.g. Lincoln or Notts C. there would be sure to have been a moan or two from one or more OVF members about 'another good defender slipped through the net'

Usually agree with you, Smithie, but on this one I'm not so sure.

Have no idea re: marketing the ST's as I live out of the area, but in terms of 'very few pay on the day punters' I'm not sure what brings that impression. We saw last time we dropped to this level that it actually galvanised our supporter base and the number of home fans coming through the gates (especially in our final two campaigns) were higher than in L1. I'm not at all confident that we're anywhere near ready to challenge but there's a lot to be said for winning matches and being in a league where fans actually believe we can get promoted. No sane Vale fans ever believed we would go up from L1 during our stint, and it takes away a lot of the fun.

As a pay on the day punter, I'm more likely to drag my arse upto Burslem in Feb/March if we're top half in L2 with half a chance of sneaking into the PO's (regardless of the opposition) than being 16th in L1 going nowhere (regardless of opposition). As TheSage says, if we get on roll and there's any type of hope that we're heading in the right direction, people will turn up. Not saying I like that way of thinking (would rather we had 4500 locked in on ST's) but I think it's more realistic than 'very few pay on the gate'.

If I remember rightly the 'upsurge' of interest at a time when Vale had been relegated was the cheap ST offer that was in place. Can't remember it now but ST's were the cheapest that they have been for years £150 per season ticket and Vale sold at least 6,000

He has a point about there not being pay on the gate interest this time...the interest was not there in League one due to crazy pay on the gate prices...Have these prices decreased through the relegation? I haven't heard as such.

If Vale expect that people will pay £21-22 to watch pay on the day bottom division football they are in for a big shock indeed

If I remember rightly the 'upsurge' of interest at a time when Vale had been relegated was the cheap ST offer that was in place. Can't remember it now but ST's were the cheapest that they have been for years £150 per season ticket and Vale sold at least 6,000

He has a point about there not being pay on the gate interest this time...the interest was not there in League one due to crazy pay on the gate prices...Have these prices decreased through the relegation? I haven't heard as such.

If Vale expect that people will pay £21-22 to watch pay on the day bottom division football they are in for a big shock indeed

You're correct non the initial season being due to the ST offer, but in the final two season (one near miss on PO's and one promotion season) we got more home fans through the gate than in L1 (barring our first season back with promotion momentum), and this was without ST offers. We got over 7500 home fans on a Tuesday night in September in L2 simply because we had a competent team who'd made a good start.

Wrong!! At the end of the day he's experienced I work in construction and can tell you I'd rather have an experienced guy/woman alongside me who isn't likely to have a day off injured

Get behind Kay he could be just what Nathan Smith needs with him , bikes proved it end of last season

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Never said that.

He's a good signing and as some have posted the two year deal is probably so he joined us rather than someone else. Personally just think it's risky giving a 34 year old a 2 year deal. Good signing though.

You're correct non the initial season being due to the ST offer, but in the final two season (one near miss on PO's and one promotion season) we got more home fans through the gate than in L1 (barring our first season back with promotion momentum), and this was without ST offers. We got over 7500 home fans on a Tuesday night in September in L2 simply because we had a competent team who'd made a good start.

You refer to the Shrewssbury home match...probably the biggest match since Vale had been in League two and it being a local derby. I don't think that was ever repeated. I went along with a mate of mine who joked it was 'Shrobbery' due to the price being £20 to get in at that time

It went downhill when Adams left for Sheffield Utd...people at the club should not underestimate the difference of interest that he brought to the club by just being manager. The same will not be replicated with Brown...the club needs to do more to entice people who are at the bottom end of the job market in regards to wages...this area continues to be poor in regards to wages

Archived