onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Signings - Part 2

Aussie Rules

Advert

Pretty much how I feel about it - all a bit underwhelming, to say the least. One thing we'll need to survive in L2 is height and strength at the back, something that none of our current centre backs have. It's no good hoping Popey will help out because when we're defending set pieces, he'll more than likely be marking one of the centre backs coming up.

We really need someone like Bikey, with the kind of physical presence that intimidates opposing forwards but can't see him signing now.

A warm welcome to Antony Kay - I hope he does well - but this isn't going to get people flooding back to buy their season tickets. I just hope there's more to come.

:sad:

Vale need two strong midfielders willing to work like workhorses from back to front who can also weigh in with 8 goals apiece and 16 in total. Then we need two wingers which can mix it about a bit whether we play long ball or football...that is the ingredient to take Vale up. I remember having one midfielder here who was good in the tackle but far too slow...and this when Vale were struggling to get out of League Two...I've forgot his name

Surprised we've offered a 2 year deal to a guy who is already 34.

Have a look at these players on wiki:

Roy Chapman

Ron Futcher

John Green

John King

Jim Arnold

Ally Brown

They all did rather well for Port Vale when they were signed later in their careers. There is no shortage of clubs willing to give 36 year old John Terry a contract.

I recall that a certain 46 year old Stanley Matthews did rather well for Stoke City.

At the age of 39 a certain Roy Sproson was instrumental in us gaining promotion with a fantastic defence, and he also gave us his highest ever goal return in that season, the best of his 23 seasons.

By the way, Anthony Kay is younger than Jermaine Defoe, rather a lot of Premier league teams want to sign him, and Gareth Southgate wants him to play for England.

Take your rose tinted glasses off. Its July in 3 days, and this squad isn't getting us back up anytime soon. Smaller teams than us are spending to accumulate.

Ha ha nice one. No rose tinted glasses here just a realistic view. For the record I'm still undecided on a ST, if I had rose tinted glasses surely I would be the first in the queue to get one.

Roy Chapman

Ron Futcher

John Green

John King

Jim Arnold

Ally Brown

They all did rather well for Port Vale when they were signed later in their careers. There is no shortage of clubs willing to give 36 year old John Terry a contract.

I recall that a certain 46 year old Stanley Matthews did rather well for Stoke City.

At the age of 39 a certain Roy Sproson was instrumental in us gaining promotion with a fantastic defence, and he also gave us his highest ever goal return in that season, the best of his 23 seasons.

By the way, Anthony Kay is younger than Jermaine Defoe, rather a lot of Premier league teams want to sign him, and Gareth Southgate wants him to play for England.

Players lose their legs at different times. Christie won the World Championship gold at 33. He's played a lot of games every season so you'd think he was a fit lad. I can't remember seeing him play so I guess he's a bit of a steady Eddie. Last year he was part of a poor Bury defence, the year before was in a very good MK Dons defence. Behind the scenes there seems some strife at Bury. They seem to be happy to subsidise players moving to us with their rapidly increasing debts.

I finally decided to get my ticket today before the price increase, because I knew if I didn't I would probably not attend many games with the walk up price being quite expensive in my view.

I did it out of hope and blind faith more than any other reason, but you would hope that the likes of Lainton, Kay & Smith, De Freitas, Montano & Pope can provide a basis to work from, though we will of course need another 7-8 players and good ones to add to the mix.

It isn't usually too hard to find full backs but we are desperate for goalscoring midfield players, a right winger and a nippy forward - and they don't come cheap.

Out of all the teams in the football league, why are we choosing players from ******* Bury?

Over the last 4 years they've churned players at an alarming rate. It's hard not to sign an ex Bury player who is from the Nort West. For 4 years every time they've signed a player people on here have said how good they are. I think there is something just not working behind the scenes for them. They also pay top dollar by all accounts. I think they just sign the best players they can even if they aren't suited to the system they want to play.

Wow! Knocking the ground down and building a big roundabout doesn't seem such a bad idea with opinions like these.

Well, the thing that you need to understand is this. Vale need fans. We need to keep our existing fans and to attract new ones. The former are deserting us in the 100s every season either through disinterest, frustration, lack of funds or (sadly) death. The latter are not going to come down to Vale Park and buy a season ticket because we've signed a 34 year old defender from Bury. They aren't going to look at the Vale and think, now there's a club going places. Kids who have the choice between us and Sjoke aren't going to be tempted away from the bright lights of the Premiership by Anthony Kay.

In all my years of following Vale I have never seen a less inspiring list of fixtures as this one. The last 8 months has been one of the most demoralising that I can remember. The club feels stale at best, if not downright rotten. We have another season of huff and puff football just around the corner and I would really like to see some players who might just capture the imagination. Instead we're seemingly scraping the barrel.

Kay is a good player and should be captain, he will be great in the dressing room. A lot of players well good till late thirties nowadays. With most moaners on here nobody would be good enough. Signing far better players than those of last year!

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

No it dosent make sense to offer a 34 year old a 2 year deal. End of.

Roy Chapman

Ron Futcher

John Green

John King

Jim Arnold

Ally Brown

The sentiment is right, but there are many things wrong with this post.

Number 1: The players you listed played football in a bygone era. Old legs struggle to keep up these days.

Number 2: Stanley Matthews is one of the all time greats. Anthony Kay is not.

Number 3: John Terry is a Champions League winning captain. Anthony Kay is not.

Number 4: Roy Sproson has a statue outside of Port Vale and played in one of the best Vale sides of all time. Anthony Kay has not.

Number 5: Jermain Defoe is an England international and scored 15 goals last year. Anthony Kay did not.

Archived