• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Best non-Vale player to Play at Vale Park in a League Game.

Paul6754

Advert:

Liverpool had a galaxy of stars in the cup game here in 1964. Callaghan, Hunt, St John, Thompson. Also Owen and Fowler here in the 90s wasn't it? Both cup games.

The greatest player I ever saw live - several times - was George Best. No contest. Miles better than Charlton.

I also saw Ajax at Stoke in 1974. Although Cruyff had left they still had the likes of Krol, Suurbier, both Muhrens, Rep, Neeskins and Haan - all part of that great Dutch team of the seventies. Krol, that night, gave the best centre half performance I've ever seen. Pure class.

In a league game? When was that?

As part of an admin team who checks posts you would see I have since made another post explaining I didn't realise it was league games.

Anyway, whilst people are talking about cup games now, the most surprisingly good player I ever saw was Ray Parlour. Always seemed a bit of a donkey on tv but watching him live that night against Arsenal he was superb.

Advert:

As part of an admin team who checks posts you would see I have since made another post explaining I didn't realise it was league games.

Anyway, whilst people are talking about cup games now, the most surprisingly good player I ever saw was Ray Parlour. Always seemed a bit of a donkey on tv but watching him live that night against Arsenal he was superb.

Fine, I missed that,

I always regarded Ray Houghton as a class act and the way he finished that move for Liverpool's third against us in the League Cup was quality. How many passes did they put together in that move?

Fulham keeper whose name I can't recall. He got an ovation from Vale fans as he played so well. Think it was in the 1980s.

More recently that Pritchard bloke for Swindon. Distinct lack of manners by goading us after scoring a brilliant goal and running the game. Not sure why he didn't like us though.

Advert:

I've never liked Townsend, but I remember him dominating against us for Norwich. It's not very often Vale fans show appreciation to opposition players (who were not ex-Vale Players). The applause Ian Wright got when substitutted showed great respect, but the most remarkable was the response to David Frio from Plymouth. He pulled us apart that day and his performance was acknowledged with a great ovation by the Vale fans. Probably the best individual performance I've seen at the Vale in a league game.

Don't know if he's the best but Scott Murray always used to run rings around us when he played for Bristol City.

The one that always stands out for me was a Cup game and was when David Platt totally destroyed us in the 6-0 drubbing at Villa Park around 1990.

Advert:

As many have said, the best I've ever seen was Bergkamp. He was incredible to see live.

League-wise, Michael Bridges had an amazing performance down the Vale once for Sunderland. I remember him being a superb player, if it wasn't for injuries he was top-drawer.

Didn't Peter Shilton play here for Derby in a cup match?

Gary McAllister played well and ruined our evening with that last minute free kick for Leeds in a cup replay.

We also played Czechoslovakia in a friendly in 1961. They must have had a few good 'uns as they finished runners up to Brazil in the 62 World Cup. We lost that game 1-3.

Didn't Peter Shilton play here for Derby in a cup match?

Gary McAllister played well and ruined our evening with that last minute free kick for Leeds in a cup replay.

We also played Czechoslovakia in a friendly in 1961. They must have had a few good 'uns as they finished runners up to Brazil in the 62 World Cup. We lost that game 1-3.

I will have a look still got the programme somewhere

Archived