• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Best non-Vale player to Play at Vale Park in a League Game.

Paul6754

More than a few, 42,000 from memory, but most have moved on, he did not do a lot that day, man marked by Dicky Cunliffe and forced towards the heavy ground (mud) in the middle. Of course Blackpool`s come back from 3-1 down in the Cup Final was in everyone`s mind so nobody believed it until the ref blew his whistle.

Always wondered why it was dubbed "The Matthews Final" when Stan Mortensen scored a hat trick !

Sent from my GT-I9195I using the onevalefan mobile app

Advert:

Thought the Vale beat Crystal Palace 4-1 and George Graham was sent off !

Yes, that was my recollection of a 4 - 1 score against Palace - must go and look it up in my programmes. Graham definitely walked, and got dogs abuse by the tunnel.

Always wondered why it was dubbed "The Matthews Final" when Stan Mortensen scored a hat trick !

Sent from my GT-I9195I using the onevalefan mobile app

Matthews was the driving force with his crosses, had lost 2 finals before, first winner`s medal nearing the end of his long career, sentiment I suppose. The cross for the winning goal in the closing minutes sealed it.

Advert:

Fairly sure Villa had some big names when we held them to 4 - 4 in 1971(?); Paul Peskylilsod always seemed to have a good game against us...and who was the Ipswich player tore us apart at their ground 5 - 0 (or 5 - 1) - sorry, I know that's not home game, just don't remember his name??

Matthews was the driving force with his crosses, had lost 2 finals before, first winner`s medal nearing the end of his long career, sentiment I suppose. The cross for the winning goal in the closing minutes sealed it.

It also helped that the bolton left back got injured and was a passenger for a large part of the match.

i'd agree by a million miles it would have been Dennis Bergkamp but for the league game thing. I can remember a few fantastic performances at VP though, Jason Dozzell for Ipswich (91-92), Luke Beckett always destroyed us when he came to Vale Park, but my vote would go to Mark Schwarzer for Middlesborough c.98-99 ish, save he made from Gareth Ainsworth's volley is the best save I've ever seen up here.

Fairly sure Villa had some big names when we held them to 4 - 4 in 1971(?); Paul Peskylilsod always seemed to have a good game against us...and who was the Ipswich player tore us apart at their ground 5 - 0 (or 5 - 1) - sorry, I know that's not home game, just don't remember his name??

The previous year we beat Villa 2-0... they had Andy Lockhead, Bruce Rioch, Chico Hamilton, Ray Graydon....... great players

The Ipswich guy was Bobby Peta... I was there that day too. He ran us ragged.

Advert:

It's a shame really that you rarely see top players drop down the leagues in their career twilight anymore. They just don't need the money to continue playing or have much cushier options to go abroad which just weren't there 30/40 years ago. There's been the odd exception in recent times like Paul Merson, Darren Anderton and bizarrely but brilliantly Edgar Davids but they are few and far between.

For me it was Keiron Dyer's brilliant performance for Ipswich when they beat us 5-1 at their place in 1997/98,the season we relegated Sjoke and Man.City on the final day when we beat Huddersfield away.

At home,I was really impressed with Coventry goalkeeper Charles-Cook a couple of seasons ago for Coventry in a 1-1 draw.

Archived