• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Best non-Vale player to Play at Vale Park in a League Game.

Paul6754

Who is the best non-Vale player you've seen play at Vale Park in a league game, doesn't include any cup competitions.

For me it's Kenny Sansom, he played for Crystal Palace at VP in the late 70's in a night match and he was brilliant, CP beat the Vale 4-1 that night.

He controlled the game from left back, remember saying to the bossman the next day, "I've just seen England's next left back" he was that good, head and shoulders above everyone else on the park and destined to do well in the game.

Advert:

Who is the best non-Vale player you've seen play at Vale Park in a league game, doesn't include any cup competitions.

For me it's Kenny Sansom, he played for Crystal Palace at VP in the late 70's in a night match and he was brilliant, CP beat the Vale 4-1 that night.

He controlled the game from left back, remember saying to the bossman the next day, "I've just seen England's next left back" he was that good, head and shoulders above everyone else on the park and destined to do well in the game.

Thought the Vale beat Crystal Palace 4-1 and George Graham was sent off !

Not sure about the best but I remember Georgi Kinkladze stood out as top-notch quality for Man City. Rudge made a rare mistake that night by not assigning Porter on a man-to-man marking job (which was what he did best), and Kinkladze ran the show with City beating us 2-0 I think.

Also, even though they were right at the end of their careers, Hoddle and Micky Hazard both still looked quality and showed their class when they came with Swindon - Hoddle was playing as sweeper in front of the defence, perfectly reading the game and pinging passes around, and Hazard ran the game from midfield. I think we still got a 2-2 draw though.

There are probably loads of others if I racked my brains, but those are the ones that immediately spring to mind.

Advert:

Advert:

I take it that was a dream as Palace didn't beat us at Vale in the late 70's and they have never won 4-1 at Vale!

Only just noticed the league game thing otherwise it would be Bergkamp without a doubt.

For me, I can remember Kieran Dyer having an absolute stormer for Ipswich back in 1998 or 1999. Ripped Allen Tankard to shreds and that wasn't easy.

Advert:

I think Robbie Keane played for Wolves in the next game after Princess Diana's death.

Who was that foreign (Italian) player who was at West Brom and scored a brilliant free-kick against us. Got a transfer to a Serie A club shortly after, if I'm not mistaken.

I take it that was a dream as Palace didn't beat us at Vale in the late 70's and they have never won 4-1 at Vale!

Yep, You and PFG 1876 are right, it was 4-1 to the Vale, the recollection was from memory and not "Googled" but Sansom was brilliant that night.

26 Apr 1977 Port Vale v Crystal Palace W 4-1 League Division Three

Archived