onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Has Norman bottled it !!

Gareths54

A lot of people how ever well intentioned seem to speak on my behalf or have had access to information which is clearly confidential.

These people from today will have no access going forward

When l first visited this site back in 2012 l learnt a lot from people who wanted to help me make a difference at PV

Laterly it was just like overseeing the carnage of the Bristol Rovers issues on Saturday.

If you have genuine concerns you can direct them to [email protected]

In trying to be open the abuse got just to a point where being open was no longer appropiate

I have made several mistakes over the last 4 years but the Club still exists and will continue under my ownership and where possible those mistakes will be rectified and hopefully not repeated

Thank You

Norman,

In all walks of life there is criticism, sometimes undue criticism and abuse. Sometimes it's deserved and you've ultimately instigated it. In my opinion, due to your history of responding and using social media, It's done, people know you're reading, so the questions soon become shouts when no response is forthcoming.

Putting shutters up isn't really the answer going forward. One would be to answer the constructive criticism and ignore any undeserving abuse. You're in a position where everything you say, do and don't do gets scrutinised. You're controlling what is ultimately our Football Club, whatever the deeds say, whatever companies house says - this football club is nothing without its supporters.

Where you ultimately have made a huge mistake, is to treat those customers as if it's their divine duty to attend and agree to accept that whatever your actions, they should turn up because it's a club they love. It doesn't work like that. For every action comes a reaction. Those supporters are in effect customers. You've got the best customer feedback going, but it's in the main ignored.

Supporters ( Customers ) that raise concerns, issues and the like have been either given deaf ears, ultimatums, ridiculed or scaremongered. Some very ill-thought out responses to paying Customers and potential customers.

The situation now is that it's got so bad, that you're seeing the start of people's feelings towards how you're running this club and treating its very own supporters. It's too late to hide.

The damage done is massive, maybe irreparable, but It's time to make some apologies, build bridges and either face these troubles head on, or put the club back on the market at a sensible price, because whatever you've spent, a good chunk of that has been wasted through mismanagement of funds. The asset book, the customer order book, the goodwill, will all back-up that statement.

As regards to sometimes finding things useful and then treating the masses with the same level of despair following the Bristol Rovers carnage, again just smacks of short sightedness, tunnel visioned arrogance and ignorance. Those antics, were indeed unacceptable, but isn't it also unacceptable to punish all that attend an arena, for the actions of a caged off few. This is not a classroom and you're definitely not a teacher.

There's been some fantastic and relatively inexpensive ideas put forward by a good number on here and elsewhere. Still the club shows no improvement in many areas, the only difference being worse due to general decline and neglect.

As regards next season. The season ticket sales are about to fall through the floor into the Vale Park mineshafts. Executive box holders are indicating this years the last.

And what is your answer?

Create havoc, get into a mess and hide away directing it all to the Secretary!!

You've learned nothing, absolutely nothing.

Do something man, Listen

Advert

Smurf, I appreciate you fronting up and giving your view. As a hint, I think what you need to work on (and this is just my humble opinion) is the long term plan the club has to get ourselves out of the mess made by the Bruno Gamble.

Im not a Football chairman, nor do I suggest I would be a good one. But from what I have read and observed at other clubs, my tips would be as follows:

1. We need a Long term plan that includes stable, minimal change in headcount. I believe Sir Alex Ferguson used to have a diagram on his wall showing his first team for the next 5 seasons. Only a few names changed each season.Adding incremental improvement rather than 'Starting again'

2. In saying that next season we have no choice... our squad will have another massive turnover, especially if we are in League 2 (Which I think we will be put pray we wont. Given this We are going to have to invest ahead of the curve. If you are not the man to do this (and I think it would be perfectly reasonable for you to say, I'm not investing any more)... then you have to sell the club. We deserve someone who will back us. This Crowd can be oneof the most passionate in the league. Please appreciate that saying the budget is down because we wont buy season tickets is like a chicken and egg argument. You have your view, but we have ours and we wont have our minds changed.

3.Implement some marketing. Email blasts, Twitter blasts, Offers... Something

4. Show Humility, We are passionate and we love our club. If you had played this differently and embraced your mistakes and asked us for help, we would have helped. This has become a 'us vs you' argument. As I mention in my previous comment to "Penny Black". The club is ours, you are a custodian. If we need to start a new club we will.

5. Invest in a manager. A good one. That might be Browny, it might not. In my view we should have someone with the grizzly experience to get us out of this league. But Browny is fighting a tough battle as we speak... he may prove to us that he has the minerals to do this. And if its not Browny... you are going to have to spend more than you want on a good one.

6. Quantity over Quality. When you said this is the close season I loved it. Its surely the best way to utilise the minimal resources we have. That's why we were so upset when the absolute complete opposite happened.

7. Stop gambling on finding a young player that turns into Dele Alli or Ademola Lookman. They are rare, really rare. And if you are going to look for one, bringing in 1 or 2 on a higher wage is better than bringing in 15 on low wages.

8. Stop alienating people who don't see eye to eye with you. Different people have different opinions. Yours havnt proven to be a masterstroke this season, so maybe the others have a point. Maybe listening to it will teach you something.

Yes things get heated Mr Smurf... But its because we love this club more than you do. Thats a fact. And one that you have to come to terms with.

If you dont want to invest more in the club, or you cant take the heat that comes with this job, Then I implore you to sell to someone who does. Open the club up to potential bidders. Lets see what we can do to get you some money back and give us the club that we deserve.

I agree with the other posters. :clap:

I presume this was meant for me. Just to clarify. Myself and moderating team do not sit reading every message that is posted and decide whether to allow it or not. That would be impractical and unrealistic.

It just so happens that I did know the charity appeal to be true and have said so in the thread but please be aware that the forum is post-moderated and we do not read every single post. Expecting us to do so is just unrealistic.

Having said all that I was happy to clarify the matter earlier in this thread.

Rob let me assure you and other readers that I never wished to belittle the fund raising efforts because I also gave to the very worthy cause.

I only mentioned that it wasn't long after that our fun and laughter changed to concern for the future of our beloved club.

I make no bones about the fact that I strongly criticise and object to the owner's management of Port Vale. I do though wish he would prove me Timothius Spunks and a growing number of his critics wrong but I won't hold my breath because a leopard can't change it's spots I sorry to say.

I said l would never come back on here and had my password changed in order not to, but requested Rob Fielding to give me access to write this.

A lot of people how ever well intentioned seem to speak on my behalf or have had access to information which is clearly confidential.

When l first visited this site back in 2012 l learnt a lot from people who wanted to help me make a difference at PV

Laterly it was just like overseeing the carnage of the Bristol Rovers issues on Saturday.

What l do for a charity or good cause, and if l use my association of PV to make a bigger contribution is purely something l choose to do for no personal gain or reconigtion and is private between the parties involved and l would like to keep it that way

In trying to be open the abuse got just to a point where being open was no longer appropiate

I have made several mistakes over the last 4 years but the Club still exists and will continue under my ownership and where possible those mistakes will be rectified and hopefully not repeated

Thank You

Sadly for you and the good of the club, your actions these last 15 months or so have alienated a hell of a lot of supporters.

You haven't made several mistakes as you put it. You have made several absolute howlers which has affected the club and its supporters and damaged it to its core.

"But the club still exists"

That's the minimum I would require. It's not an achievement.

Your mistakes could take seasons to rectify. Players signed on contracts that aren't good enough. No structure in the management setup. Every decision you seem to make is on a whim. It's very clear you have no clue as to how to run a football club.

Me personally, I have zero confidence in you, that you can turn this club into a success and whilst you are at the helm you will take my/our club to the abyss.

Your words here are all well and good. Mistakes rectified and hopefully not repeated. I just can't see how anyone can believe that, given your track record.

Find a buyer. Take a loss if you have to but please sell up and leave.

For the good of Port Vale.

I said l would never come back on here and had my password changed in order not to, but requested Rob Fielding to give me access to write this.

What l do for a charity or good cause, and if l use my association of PV to make a bigger contribution is purely something l choose to do for no personal gain or reconigtion and is private between the parties involved and l would like to keep it that way

Thank You

How many times will you repeat the last sentence? you say it but then carry on making mistakes. You have lost the support of a large proportion of the fanbase, the only way I can see these people returning is under a fresh start with new owners.

but its alright for people to 'insult him' then!!

Crikey!! you would have to be a saint to hold back with some of the comments on there directed his way!

would you hold back if you had constant critiscm![/quote

Karma John. If you dish it out expect it back. He told me on here to go and play on a motorway, I hadn't insulted him, just questioned him on something he seemed very reluctant to answer with a straight reply. He made an apology for that at his meet the chairman night.

Crikey!! you would have to be a saint to hold back with some of the comments on there directed his way!

would you hold back if you had constant critiscm!

Of course you have never insulted or never will insult anyone have you

would you hold back if you had constant critiscm![/quote

Karma John. If you dish it out expect it back. He told me on here to go and play on a motorway, I hadn't insulted him, just questioned him on something he seemed very reluctant to answer with a straight reply. He made an apology for that at his meet the chairman night.

Ignoring questions,reluctant to answer questions reminds me of someone else also :wink:

Of course you have never insulted or never will insult anyone have you

And the two classic examples of people who don't like critiscm!! Melv and Tim!!

The point I was making is if someone is being abusive to him then you would have to have the patience of a saint to not snap back...you would wouldn't you??

The point I was making is if someone is being abusive to him then you would have to have the patience of a saint to not snap back...you would wouldn't you??

I don't think anyone has been abusive towards him. Passionate and opinionated yes. He wants/needs that passion from the fans otherwise the money isn't going to roll through the turnstiles.

Its Mr Smurthwaite that resorts to childish digs like his wonderfully considered "flagpole comment"

Passionate responses are all part of being a Chairman of a football club. If he doesnt have the thick skin to rise above it then its yet another example of how he is not the best person for the role. And I mean that from both his and the Fans perspective.

Smurf is in a no win position, why would anyone want to be a chairman of our club. If he leaves he will be slagged off for deserting the sinking ship and ripping the heart out of Vale due to his experiments. If he stays he will be slagged off for not leaving and allowing someone to come in and take us further.

For a successful businessman he has made horrendous gaffs and the club will be paying for them for several seasons if no investment is made in the squad and staff structure. Quality and not quantity, but you have to pay for quality. But he will just pass that on to the club as a debt, hoping to get his money back when he finally sells up.

His experiments have not gone down well and could very well see us in Lg 2. The try to do it on the cheap and be continental did not work. Not coming out with the new manager is ..... has not gone down well either. The squad must be wondering who will come in or will Brown be finally get the nod.

If we go down it will show if he has the will to take us back up by funding a proper squad of quality not quantity players and a manager with experience. Or is he happy for Vale to bounce around and then fold due to still following tried and failed strategies like he seems to keep doing.

Please look at the structure of backroom staff and bring people in to help you. You cant micro manage it all. Let them do the hard work and you sit back and watch what they do and relax. Sort the staff that look after PR and the shop out.

Fans expect things to happen very quickly now and have so many ways to vent their anger via social media now. Good luck which ever way you go Smurf. But please do the right thing for the Club we all love and support. For me this is over 44 years, so have seen the good and bad during those years.

Seeing sjoke progress has not been fun either and we only hope we could do that as well. What a journey that would be, we replace them as the S-O-T team to follow, as they slide down the leagues. Then all their plastic fans follow us.

I don't think anyone has been abusive towards him. Passionate and opinionated yes. He wants/needs that passion from the fans otherwise the money isn't going to roll through the turnstiles.

Its Mr Smurthwaite that resorts to childish digs like his wonderfully considered "flagpole comment"

Passionate responses are all part of being a Chairman of a football club. If he doesnt have the thick skin to rise above it then its yet another example of how he is not the best person for the role. And I mean that from both his and the Fans perspective.

No doubt there are some fans out there who would have been very abusive. But Vale fans are very passionate about their club. They are quick to praise and quick to let the players know their performance is rubbish. This has been witnessed several times this season. Booing at half time as the players come off the pitch, the players then put a shift in the 2nd half and they are cheered off the pitch. Yes we may have lost/drawn or won, but they showed spirit. That is all fans ask for, wear the shirt with pride and try.

But when so called fans threaten his family, Smurf and the players - alleged, then you have to wonder about the individuals mentality and are they actually Vale fans, or someone using Vale to have a go.

Also Smurf needs to learn from his mistakes like stupid comments, digs at fans on social media which only resulted in inflaming fans. That is why he should have never have gone on to tw.tter in the first place and employed a PR expert to deal with things.

I don't use Twitter. You can abuse me as much as you like on there, John, and I won't give a monkey's. You don't need the patience of a saint, you just need decide not to engage.

Archived