onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday Thread: Scunthorpe U v Port Vale

Fosse69

I was very encouraged by the team today. I thought they gave it a good go against a team who went top with the victory. In truth it was a very even game until their second equaliser after which we seemed to tire a bit. I thought the lack of fitness to last 90 minutes by a few of our lads cost us at least a point. I thought Grant was our best player today by a country mile. I am sure we will be losing him bore Tuesday's deadline if anyone was watching him. I really did think that both our full backs were found wanting and Purkiss especially needs replacing.

I sat with the Scunthorpe fans and they were really moaning when the board went up showing six minutes extra time as they were worried about us scoring again. It is a long time since opposition fans couldn't wait for the final whistle when playing the Vale.

Every one knows that our chairman doesn't have anyone in the wings to become our manager so why doesn't he not just come out and tell Brown that the job is his and let him get on with strengthening the team before Tuesday.

Come on smell the coffee.

Unless results take a dive the job is Browns.

Norman spilled the beans when he extended his contract.

Advert

That penalty decision was utterly outrageous BUT...I think Alnwick's reaction is rightly asking Streete what the hell he was doing.

I still feel annoyed after listening to yesterday. For all the supposed good play the facts are: we yet again conceded 3 goals in a half of football; we have yet again gift wrapped arguably all three goals; we have yet again thrown the game away when leading twice and needless to say, it's yet another away game where we come home with didly squat.

Frustrating isn't the word for this team at the moment. And God help us next week if we're lining up without Alnwick, Smith, Grant maybe even Streete.

That penalty decision was utterly outrageous BUT...I think Alnwick's reaction is rightly asking Streete what the hell he was doing.

I still feel annoyed after listening to yesterday. For all the supposed good play the facts are: we yet again conceded 3 goals in a half of football; we have yet again gift wrapped arguably all three goals; we have yet again thrown the game away when leading twice and needless to say, it's yet another away game where we come home with didly squat.

Frustrating isn't the word for this team at the moment. And God help us next week if we're lining up without Alnwick, Smith, Grant maybe even Streete.

And we did it away from home against a side top of the table. Let's have a bit of perspective.

It was a clever, cynical, professional bit of play from Davies who made sure that when he lifted his leg it came into contact with Streete behind him - and down he went. He was looking for it and conned the referee but there was no need for Streete to be that tight to him as the ball was going towards the byline.

Davies deliberately tripped himself over and it was a bad refereeing decision but in situations like that the defender really has to stay clear of the forward's legs.

And, being critical, it wouldn't have happened if Smith wasn't ball watching and we got done by a long ball straight down the middle, with no cover.

All round a very bad goal to concede - but we then do it again when Purkiss gave it away unnecessarily. I don't know what he was thinking.

That's two weeks running where we've thrown away a winning position.

I think the facts are clear but here are a few grounds for optimism.

Over the last 10 games, we are second from bottom and only Coventry have a worse record than us

Over the last six games, we are sixth from bottom, so a slight improvement

Over the last four games, since Browny has been in charge, we are fourteenth - yes, Fourteenth!

We may have a few problems to sort out in terms of departures and injuries, but so far Brown has done well with the players he's brought in. So let's give him a bit of a break.

C'mon the Vale, we can do it!

Just seen the penalty and that is one of the worst penalties I've ever seen awarded. The referee was in a perfect position to see there was no contact between the players and the forward clearly dived and should have been booked. Unbelievably bad or crooked decision.

Absolutely no contact! Shocking decision, and nobody knows what would have happened if it hadn't been given.

Looking forward to the Posh home game, and seeing the new recruits. My first match as a £17 senior, the day after my 62nd birthday!

Happy birthday for the third of feb and welcome to the oap squad

Thanks, RSB. Pity the government doesn't think I am an oap, too, but I will have to wait another four years for my state pension.

Wouldn't mind a decent signing or two as a present, especially if they turned out to be as good as Dean Glover, who made his Vale debut on or around my birthday all those years ago V Wolves and subdued the prolific Steve Bull.

Even in real time that was not a penalty and it changed the match. The ref was right on top of it and should not have given it. We played well towards the end of the game, however there finishing was shocking and I think we could have lost by a lot more.

Having said that the lads put a good shift in and had the penalty not been given then we might be talked about a victory as they had nothing before that.

The yellow card in the first 15 mins to Guy had me baffled, what did the ref give it for ?

Archived