keeled56

Matt Carragher

I couldn't believe he was only 40, so I did a quick check on Wiki. "...Found this little quote: He played 56 of the club's 57 games in 2000-01, playing in a defence of Michael Walsh, Sagi Burton, Allen Tankard, and goalkeeper Mark Goodlad..." what we wouldn't give for a defence like that, again?

A very fine player at the time when Vale had some very good teams, playing football the right way! A very sad loss, commiserations to his family...I still can't believe that 40, though! Much too young!!!

Very sad to hear about the passing of our former captain Matt Carragher so early at only 40. A very good solid defender and true professional...as worthy a captain as i've ever seen in a Vale shirt.

Great memories of him playing right back and if I remember correctly as sweeper during the period when Brian Horton found a team that clicked, for a period of that season we were brilliant. We've never been as good since.

Thoughts are with his family and friends.

Terribly sad news about a great player for our club. So many happy memories of watching him and so pleased we kept a clean sheet tonight, as if somehow in his honour. RIP Matty

I read the sad news on the BBC Football website at 8am here in Houston. I couldn't get my head around the fact that

a man so young, who was a great servant to the Vale as a captain, a leader with a smile on his face, and the last man to lift a trophy

for the club, had died . May he rest in peace, and my condolences to his family and friends. Life can be so cruel at times.

It was a very well observed minutes applause & it was nice to hear his name sung again. I hope his family can take a tiny bit of comfort in the fact he is still so well respected and fondly remembered by us all.

Must add my condolences to those listed above.

Matts was a true Vale legend, and the captain of one of the best ever Vale teams

I pray that his family can take some comfort from the comments made by fans who remember and respected him as a player and as a man.

God Bless

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very sad..so young, a committed player but with some quality too

According to Wikipedia ....

Carragher died of cancer on 29 December 2016 at the age of 40. Former teammate Tony Naylor paid tribute to him as a "a cheeky chappie, a typical Scouse lad, confident and a nice guy with it".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/1289338.stm

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/port-vale-tributes-paid-to-former-captain-matt-carragher/story-30019955-detail/story.html

Edited by JOHNNYAITCH