onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

What is Smith worth?

Fosse69

Maybe because he was on loan in the conference last year and if he didn't cut it there he would probably be released. He's had a good start but we're 6 games in. What if we give him a contract today and he's **** for the next 40 games?

Knee jerk reaction. Same as andoh , glad we didn't give him a long term deal after 10 games like fans called for. Otherwise we would have been stuck paying big wages for a lad out for over a year.

But the fact is that he did cut it last year and he has come back seemingly a better player and is now getting noticed. We were quick to offer big deals to the new players without seeing them play properly and here we have a home grown local lad who needs tying to a another deal IMO. Because I bet you that if we do not offer him a deal and his form continues then he will be off and we will not get as big a fee as we'd hope.

Advert

If he is going to be worth the figure that our owner has quoted then why in heaven's name hasn't he got the lad on a longer contract?

When you look at how Gradi did it over in Cheshire he always had his promising players on long deals and in the days when money was splashed about it served them very well.

I think Nathan is a cracking player for us and well worth a good deal but I am cautious about his height. The big boys always look for big lads at the heart of their defence.

What was the figure Smurf quoted ,OS?I haven't seen a problem with his height as yet unless towering above giant defenders to score and having centre forwards in his pocket such as the tiny Hanson and Andrew is a problem.

Same as andoh , glad we didn't give him a long term deal after 10 games like fans called for. Otherwise we would have been stuck paying big wages for a lad out for over a year.

Sorry that's a nonsense argument. All long-term contracts have an element of risk and no-one knew Andoh would get injured that's simply bad luck (particularly for the player).

Injuries are simply a matter of luck and not a reflection on ability and potential. Before he got injured Andoh was being linked with big money moves (NS himself confirmed there had been offers). It's no wonder people said he needed to be tied down to a contract under those circumstances.

I agree it's early days for Nathan Smith but if he continues in this vein I would hope that negotiations would start in December (before the window opens again in January). That would mean Smith would have played 20-odd games and we'd then have a better idea of his potential.

Sorry that's a nonsense argument. All long-term contracts have an element of risk and no-one knew Andoh would get injured that's simply bad luck (particularly for the player).

Injuries are simply a matter of luck and not a reflection on ability and potential. Before he got injured Andoh was being linked with big money moves (NS himself confirmed there had been offers). It's no wonder people said he needed to be tied down to a contract under those circumstances.

I agree it's early days for Nathan Smith but if he continues in this vein I would hope that negotiations would start in December (before the window opens again in January). That would mean Smith would have played 20-odd games and we'd then have a better idea of his potential.

To be honest Rob, I would hope those discussions have already started. If nothing else his contract should reflect the fact he is now a 1st team player rather than a youth graduate who may progress to the first team squad.

As a minimum contract would then be to end of next season, giving both the club and the player an element of security, but from Nathan's perspective also unlikely to put off bigger clubs from making a bid.

To be honest Rob, I would hope those discussions have already started. If nothing else his contract should reflect the fact he is now a 1st team player rather than a youth graduate who may progress to the first team squad.

As a minimum contract would then be to end of next season, giving both the club and the player an element of security, but from Nathan's perspective also unlikely to put off bigger clubs from making a bid.

I agree. I think some are in cloud cuckoo land if they think Smith is worth £1m now but as you say he is a first-team player and is now a valuable asset worth protecting.

The very fact this thread exists shows his potential and each good game he gets will only increase his potential worth.

Even a one-year contract extension (I'd hope for longer) would be good. There are multiple advantages:

1. Negotiate now and you may get Smith on relatively cheap terms. Put it off to the summer and if he's had an impressive season he may ask for a big wage increase.

2. Negotiate now before any bigger, welathier clubs become aware of him and could perhaps turn his head. We don't want him approached by a bigger club and then turning down a Vale contract offer.

3. Even if the player is only under contract for another year, say (and I'd hope it's longer) it still means he can't leave and the fee be subject to a tribunal - he would have to leave for a fee that Vale think is appropriate. Maybe not £1m but it also wouldn't be for a paltry tribunal-fixed fee.

4. Get it sorted now and its one less thing to worry about in the summer. It's also a weight off the player's mind (he's got job security).

5. He's young, he's local and he's only played a few games. I bet he'd love to stay in the area for at least another year before perhaps looking to progress. This is the ideal time to speak to him and get him signed up before the end of the year and the re-opening of the transfer window.

Who knows what he is worth. The danger is the January transfer window will be more interesting than this one if we are up there.

Norman has already said on RS that players will go for money in January. He actually believed that. It may come true.

Bruno has stated more than once that his remit is to coach players and sell them on.

We will see in January, if we are pushing for promotion, what the chairman wants.

In answer to the thread question........ At the moment he is worth very little. A season at Torquay and 7 games with us doesnt make him a million pound player.

Potential is there but i would hope he would continue to grow as a player, a man and a leader.

The only way most clubs can develop is by wheeling and dealing, getting the timing right in selling and buying players, but at the same time maintaining progress up the league(s).

Thus Norman and Bruno will have to get the balance right, the £6/7M in the Championship is a big factor, whether this season or next. As for potential, big clubs when they spot it have to decide whether to pounce or will someone else do it first. Interesting times we live in.

Nathan is by far the best young prospect Vale have had for years.Some positive comments are posted on here and for those who doubt his ability through lack of height,he is TALLER that one of the classiest, best players in the Rudge era,,yes Dean Glover!!!!He didn't do bad for a midget ha ha!!!!I suggest people actually watch the lad off the ball too as he is so mature for his age,constantly talking to his fellow defenders AND monitoring what's happening around him.He is a future captain and such a level headed young man.As long as he continues with the fantastic progress of the past 12 months he's got a superb future in the game.Well done to Vale for the way they have helped his progress.Long may it continue!!!

His agent would be mad to let him extend his contract at Vale. To get a decent tribunal deal we'd need to offer him a decent contract for him to reject. It would have to be over 2k a week. Barnsley were sensible with Stones in getting a good sell-on percentage and have raked in millions more as a result. The more we get for him, the less he'll get paid by his new club. It's a zero sum game.

Maybe the question we should be asking is how much would it cost us to lose him?

One slip, one error, and the vultures on here will be at him. Then if he loses even a small amount of confidence, they will have undone all the good work and he will be worth very little.

That is one view. On the other hand, he may be strong enough to rise above that sort of thing and if so, is already worth a small fortune.

If by the end of September he is still held in such high regard and is playing just as well, then we should offer a very good contract or sell for any offer above £700,000 - BUT only if that offer contains a sell on clause of 40 per cent plus, and an additional payment of £1m if he gains an international cap.

Archived