onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

norm on radio stoke

RayWalkers40yarder

I've not read through all of this. It's bound to be the same thing that we all now know.

Anyway, I see Synectics are the obvious choice for the preferred bidder. Does anyone seriously think a business with a £12M turnover - successful as that is, has the kind of money required to throw into the bottomless pit of football at this level? Not a chance. If they are involved, they are a front for somebody.

Nope. I don't blame NormAn for selling out though, some "fans" have lynched him on here since he started even when we were doing well, it's no wonder he's off.

Advert

It will give me no pleasure to say I told you so IF it goes t!ts up. I rarely come on here anymore because if you have a different opinion to the majority of self righteous posters you get accused of "having an agenda". My only agenda is I want our club to be run properly and to do our best at the level we are at. I have neither the time or energy for slanging matches on here, but I think some people will look more than a bit silly if us with the "agendas" are proven right AGAIN!

What are you going to be proven right about ?

In my opinion I think we will be sold to anyone who will take it off his hands for the right price, as he clearly wants out. If that's someone stupid enough to pay him a rent instead of buying the ground how is that his fault ? It's certain fans fault wanting the biggest investor in our clubs history out not the door because of this "agenda" ? Please explain it as I'm at a loss as to what it is.

In my opinion I think we will be sold to anyone who will take it off his hands for the right price, as he clearly wants out. If that's someone stupid enough to pay him a rent instead of buying the ground how is that his fault ? It's certain fans fault wanting the biggest investor in our clubs history out not the door because of this "agenda" ? Please explain it as I'm at a loss as to what it is.

Is he an investor or a lender? If the latter, he's done nothing to get excited about. If the former, perhaps he needs to understand that investments can fluctuate in value.

Norman came into the club, by his own admission, intending to be a sleeping partner and letting Wildes hold the reins. That went belly up when Wildes appears to have used Norman's wallet as a bottomless pit. This meant that Norman was put in a situation he never really wanted of having to run the club. Being Norman, and having been successful in other fields of business, he thought he could do it all himself despite his lack of any experience in the football business. He took over on the cusp of our promotion season when everything was hunky dory. I suspect he believed it would always be like that. Sadly, it looks like the reality of life in the lower leagues has come as a shock to him and he has gradually lost the desire to run/own a football club. Again, being Norman, he has had to look for someone or something to blame for this because it can't be his fault - he reckons he's never failed at anything. So it's all our fault.

V2001 blamed the fans for failing to buy enough shares, failing to increase attendances, etc. You may remember Mr Bell blamed the fans for attacking his family, attacking his garage, attacking his character and threatened to close the club down. It's always the fans' fault because we are the only constant at the club. Everyone else just comes and goes, dumping on us in the process.

Do I remember right ? Smurf was asked about running a football club and his experience at an open meeting and I am sure he said that the Vale had got the same turnover as Stoke Audi so how difficult could it be ?

Struck me as a silly thing to say at the time.

You're right - he did say that.

You're right - he did say that.

But a few weeks ago on here he claimed our turnover now is less than under v2001 and when pressed by me could not give a valid reason as to why. He then went on to abuse me and give reasons and answers to scenarios I had never mentioned as if to cover his ****. All very worrying to me back then, but it was my "agenda" that made me question him apparently

In my opinion I think we will be sold to anyone who will take it off his hands for the right price, as he clearly wants out. If that's someone stupid enough to pay him a rent instead of buying the ground how is that his fault ? It's certain fans fault wanting the biggest investor in our clubs history out not the door because of this "agenda" ? Please explain it as I'm at a loss as to what it is.[/quote

That he wasn't the Saviour that the people kissing his feet claimed he was. That splitting the ground was bad news, that this mans actiobs could threaten our existance. I could go on but whats the point with folk like you?

The "agenda" is mine apparently, not Normans, he is a decent chap afterall

Is he an investor or a lender? If the latter, he's done nothing to get excited about. If the former, perhaps he needs to understand that investments can fluctuate in value.

Norman came into the club, by his own admission, intending to be a sleeping partner and letting Wildes hold the reins. That went belly up when Wildes appears to have used Norman's wallet as a bottomless pit. This meant that Norman was put in a situation he never really wanted of having to run the club. Being Norman, and having been successful in other fields of business, he thought he could do it all himself despite his lack of any experience in the football business. He took over on the cusp of our promotion season when everything was hunky dory. I suspect he believed it would always be like that. Sadly, it looks like the reality of life in the lower leagues has come as a shock to him and he has gradually lost the desire to run/own a football club. Again, being Norman, he has had to look for someone or something to blame for this because it can't be his fault - he reckons he's never failed at anything. So it's all our fault.

V2001 blamed the fans for failing to buy enough shares, failing to increase attendances, etc. You may remember Mr Bell blamed the fans for attacking his family, attacking his garage, attacking his character and threatened to close the club down. It's always the fans' fault because we are the only constant at the club. Everyone else just comes and goes, dumping on us in the process.

A very accurate assessment. Smurthwaite was a property developer and he has found that running a football club is a different 'kettle of fish' and doesn't like it. My advice cut your losses get out completely and sell it on to someone who is willing to run Port Vale properly. In this way you will be remembered with fondness by many for what was achieved in the early days of your tenure. Otherwise you will be as hated as the conmen who nearly ran the club into the ground under the guise of V2001.

Off topic but they are not entirely doomed. Yes, their finances (and league place) are bad right now but...

They may be getting a new ground for free. The deal is that a housing company wants land to build some of the 10,000 new homes that Torquay want to have. The council have effectively said that if they build a new out-of-town stadium for Torquay then the housing company will be allowed to develop certain areas into housing.

The idea is that the profit the company makes on the housing will more than outweigh the £7m cost of the stadium. Developers in Aylesbury (where I live) are doing similar. One housing firm has promised to build a new stadium for Aylesbury United if they win the contract to build some new houses.

Torquay are also embracing the new National League views on 4G pitches. A new stadium will have a 4G pitch (I believe ratified for use in the National League recently) and the local newspaper says "It would be that surface which could allow the club to turn itself into a sustainable business, generating income seven-days-a-week. That's instead of staggering along, as most lower division clubs have done for decades, with grass pitches at the mercy of English winters and customers around only once a fortnight.

"An up-to-date artificial pitch costs around £350,000-£400,000 to install. But it's estimated that, with sensible pricing and full use, a club can recoup the outlay in only three years. We're not talking about the high-bouncing, grass-burning surfaces that Luton, Preston and QPR tried out back in the 1980s. FIFA have already approved the latest versions for use in the Champions' League..."

- sorry for that diversion off-topic -

With the latest research showing a defined link between 3g & 4g rubber crumb based pitches & certain types of cancer i think a review will be put in place again on their use. It relates to the chemical make up of the rubber which comes from old tyres etc

The research was done in the US involving pitches world wide. wont be the end of 3/4g but a lot more research into alternates to rubber crumb are needed

I personally think Norm is throwing everything away with this move. He won't get his money back on a failing club on the pitch. Vale was always going to require money putting in and we are slowly edging back to the Championship. Pulling out his money next season will be a disaster. £800k cut? The money from the football league support fund of 2.2 million over the league 1 monies alone makes it worth the push, added to the increased revenue guaranteed from increased away followings and TV money.

Sustained investment is what was needed and 800k is not a lot in football club running terms

Archived