onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Campion - Torquay

tisdeano

He did throughout last season and, by all accounts, pre season. He isn't up to it.

He didn't do that bad last time out. Not great but not awful. He certainly didn't do that much of a worse job and not really in pre season. It seems it's ok for other players to have multiple chances and fail, yet this lad gets a couple does ok and never gets another look in. For me this loan move is great for him and I hope he scores a few. We need a forward ourselves though.

Advert

If he is good enough he will show it there, to me he didn`t look up to it in terms of fitness or ability and could understand why he didn`t get picked very often.

Playing in a poor side against decent sides last season wasnt the best way for him to be introduced, granted he didnt look brill, I still feel he deserved a chance after a pre season.

Page never rated him. Said he is to slow for league football

Page actually said Campion was one of the quickest players at the club......Campion and JJ Hooper both

seemingly natural goalscorers signed by Smurf ignored by Page... and the question has to asked if out of contract would Andoh

have made the retained list.

As it stands Ikpeazu is on loan till January while Daniel was signed as a utility left wing back and AJLS has always been a lightweight non-scoring attacking midfielder......no wonder Smurf is reluctant to fund further signings if Page is just going to ignore them and play his mates.

I really don't get this rush to judge Campion (either for or against him).

What's wrong with Rob Page's plan? He appears to have been open and honest with the player and told him to go on loan and make his case for inclusion.

Either way - the manager is a winner isn't he? If the loan spell produces a goal machine, well done Rob Page for loaning him out and getting him into form. If the loan spell doesn't produce a prolific spell then surely that vindicates the decision not to play him so far.

However, rather than rushing to judge him, I personally think we should see how he does when he is actually on loan rather than than judging him before he's even had the chance. The loan deal hasn't even been confirmed yet.

I really don't get this rush to judge Campion (either for or against him).

What's wrong with Rob Page's plan? He appears to have been open and honest with the player and told him to go on loan and make his case for inclusion.

Either way - the manager is a winner isn't he? If the loan spell produces a goal machine, well done Rob Page for loaning him out and getting him into form. If the loan spell doesn't produce a prolific spell then surely that vindicates the decision not to play him so far.

However, rather than rushing to judge him, I personally think we should see how he does when he is actually on loan rather than than judging him before he's even had the chance. The loan deal hasn't even been confirmed yet.

The problem with Pages plan is that at the moment we need a striker, and he dosent give those strikers who could fill the spot a chance, its the same with Hooper. They may not be ready yet, and if thats the case then we need to bring someone in on loan. I dont think page is the winner no matter what. If campion scores a fair few for Torquay then he will come back, probably get one or two sub appearances and then not be seen again. Also if he impresses there it will make more people wonder why hes not been given a chance here over the likes of Daniel and AJ. If he dosent impress then it just enhances the point that he needs to dip into the loan market.

They may not be ready yet

Doesn't that then make the manager right to want Campion to go on loan then? Or should he throw people in before they are ready which arguably could destroy their career if they fail?

If campion scores a fair few for Torquay then he will come back, probably get one or two sub appearances and then not be seen again.

Bit of an assumption there!

if he impresses there it will make more people wonder why hes not been given a chance here

Not everyone. Me for one. Sometimes it takes a loan spell for people to get in form and contention. As I've said before - Hugill was nowhere near the team till his Gateshead spell - yet no-one slammed Micky Adams for not picking him before that loan move.

If he dosent impress then it just enhances the point that he needs to dip into the loan market.

I don't get how that can be levelled at Page. Campion is under contract. If he does turn out to be not good enough is that the manager's fault that he's taking up a wage? If he got rid of Campion he'd have to pay compensation and likewise a loan move costs money (so where is that money coming from)? Perhaps there are no funds for a loan forward which isn't down to the manager (that isn't a criticism by the way, Norman has put in a massive amount of money and has to draw the line somewhere). If that's the case isn't it sensible to farm out one of the squad players on loan with the hope that he impresses during his loan spell. In a similar way, I'd hope that we could perhaps get Hooper out on a similar loan perhaps with a 24 hour recall attached (but I guess organising loan deals are far easier said than done).

Having seen him v kidsgrove he really isn't going to cut it at this level. People are quick to jump on the bandwagon saying page should play him, page sees this lad in training everyday and doesn't rate him. To many flicks and wastes possession to much. Moving him on and maybe others may free up a few quid to get in a loan striker who is up to this standard.

personally i would say from the teams hes played for, his career is never going to light up the footballing world, i just dont think he will cut it above league two, conference will be his level, its doing us a favour by saving a wage. and i also dont think hes ever going challenge ikpaezu for a starting place, did you no uches full name is 'Karl Anthony Uchechuckwu Mubiru "Uche" Ikpeazu' try chanting that at a game!

Baton Rouge Capitals

Ventura County Fusion

Norrby IF

personally i would say from the teams hes played for, his career is never going to light up the footballing world

He may not be good enough - we'll have to see but I don't think who he's played for has any relevance.

Let's see...

Schiedamse Voetbal Vereniging and Wageningen (that's the former clubs of Robin van der Laan who we sold for £750k)

Manchester United, Hull City and Bristol City (that's the former clubs of Lawrie Pearson, the worst left-back I've ever seen)

Campion may or may not make it, but who he's played for makes little difference. As I always say - it's not how a player performed for his previous clubs, it's how he performs when he joins the Vale that's important

It seems pretty clear that Campion is most unlikely to make it at the Vale, and he does desperately need to play regular competitive football. So an opportunity at Torquay is ideal for him. The standard of football doesn't matter, he needs to play! If he does well he could have a future in the English game, but I suspect it won't be at the Vale.

I am a lot more worried about JJ. He started out at a top flight club and has score a lot of goals in non-league. He also needs to play football, and really he needs to play L1 football, as that's the only way he'll reach the standard we need. When you look at the Vale bench, and given the fact that we are struggling to score goals, it seems ridiculous that he is not there and that there is no forward on the bench capable of scoring goals. On a good day, say when the Vale are winning (it might happen folks) he could come on for 20 minutes and get some game time he obviously needs. Equally, on a bad day and we are 2-0 down, we have nothing to lose in giving him a chance. Now Andoh is out, and the Vale will lack pace up front, Saturday would be a good game to give him a try Mr Page!

Sums it up pretty well for me. The situation with JJ is more worrying because he looks to have much more potential than Campion.

As a short reminder of his goal scoring ability, here is a six minute compilation of JJ's goals - taps in, shots from distance, free kicks, one-on-ones, poaching and out-muscling defenders:

This is why Gary Johnson wanted to sign him and why he was pipped to the post by Smurf - he has all the hallmarks of a natural goalscorer who knows where the net is.

We are desperately short of goals, so the question is, why isn't Page playing him?

Archived