onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

what is our potential?

RayWalkers40yarder

It's safe to say Jackett was watching one of our players, which is concerning. My money would be on Enoch, Innis or Uche.

Kenny Jackett sat right behind me. I did make him laugh when I said to him that if our little winger had caught his eye, his name was Chris Birchall.

Advert

Which ever way you look at it, its pathetic, and its September.

We had 5 points from our first 8 league games under Adams last season. We've already surpassed that amount 5 games in so far this season.

From the 3 games that I've been to so far this season (Gills home, both Swindon & Bradford away), we do look so much better in defence. Obviously Inniss makes a huge difference but I think both Duffy and even Dickinson look transformed as players compared with last season and are also looking much more composed, confident and assured.

Apart from the poor 2nd half at Bradford, I have been really impressed with what I've seen. Uche, Foley and Grant in particular all look to be excellent additions and we are playing some fantastic stuff at times (probably even better than our promotion season a few years ago). Grant is an absolute monster in the park and seems to he endless energy.

Of course we aren't quite the finished article yet. One of my main worries is that Uche works so hard that he runs himself into the ground and rarely lasts the full 90 minutes. But that's his style of play and he is a menace for opposition defences when he is on the pitch and would be a top player if he was a little more composed and clinical infront of goal. The other worry is the lack of goals upfront. Granted the like of Dodds and Foley should be probably chip in with a few but Leitch-smith won't be banging in the goals imo. He is a clever little player but not somebody you would associate with being prolific.

All depends if JJ Hooper can start firing in a few to ease the burden from Uche. If that does happen, then expect the draws from games against Crewe and Gillingham to be converted into wins and we will be rising the table and probably won't be far off the play-offs.

The division isn't of a great standard this season, we more than matched Swindon away the other week and I think they will probably take one of the automatic promotion spots at the end of this season.

We have never been able to compete, except for the Rudge era, previously Ronnie Allen, Bill McGarry, Mark Chamberlain all had to be sold, and they went on to play for England. Do not disagree with your views on the Prem and football in general though. Currently we are becoming a development club, let us hope we prosper.

We were a development club under Rudge, Earle, Beckford, Taylor, Guppy, McCarthey all had to be sold to keep the books balanced. The better you perform as a development club the more chance you have of picking up the raw talent to get developed. At the moment even the likes of Liverpool and Spurs are development clubs. I think I preferred it when the likes of QPR, Derby, Ipswich, Villa and Forest were all in with a genuine chance of winning the title but I can't see that ever returning.

We were a development club under Rudge, Earle, Beckford, Taylor, Guppy, McCarthey all had to be sold to keep the books balanced. The better you perform as a development club the more chance you have of picking up the raw talent to get developed. At the moment even the likes of Liverpool and Spurs are development clubs. I think I preferred it when the likes of QPR, Derby, Ipswich, Villa and Forest were all in with a genuine chance of winning the title but I can't see that ever returning.
Nor do I, I am amazed how many players are loaned out by the big shots to the smaller teams in the Prem.

Don't suppose the Prem dare to place limits on the number of players the big shots can have, although there are limits in Euro competitions. Even with all those players they could only play 11 on the field against Bradford City and lose. But must thank them for giving Grant his start in the game.

Our potential is to win this league but we need belief, confidence and support. We also need to keep the team together and probably to bring in two or more loan players when the time is right. It is very encouraging that a manager of Jackett's ability is watching our team.

Our potential is to win this league but we need belief, confidence and support. We also need to keep the team together and probably to bring in two or more loan players when the time is right. It is very encouraging that a manager of Jackett's ability is watching our team.

Then again Rob and Kenny - old chums - got together for a late birthday drink celebration (Rob's 3rd September) :D

Archived