onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Smurfs statement.

melv

"Vale Social on designated games, starting tomorrow with the game against Doncaster Rovers, will be an away fan venue only."

So vale fans can't have a match day drink in their own bar/pub/social club? Am I reading that right?

Is George Orwell anything to do with Staffs police? ;)

Advert

It's not really worth 1.2m to PVFC though, as development of the land could cost £1m as well.

But as I've been arguing for years now - football clubs simply won't survive on match day revenue alone. Forty days a year revenue simply ain't sustainable.

So, for those reasons, the Co-Op land is pretty much priceless for Vale. It gives the club much more land which it can develop all sorts of things that other clubs have sensiby introduced to increase revenue away from match days. Those include residential property (rental income for years from those), retail premises, extra club facilities (you could put a home version of Tommy Cheadles and a couple of take-aways on there), things like a doctor's surgery/a gym which would benefit the local community and also get the club rental. More radically you could look at things like sports facilities (good for Vale academy/generates money if open to the public), increasing the conference facilities at the club, even a market.

If you look at pretty much EVERY new stadium development it includes something along the lines of a Hotel (granted not that useful in Burslem), residential buildings, gymns, retails units because clubs realise they need revenue 365 days a year not 40 days a year. Here's a quote from Scunthorpe and they are spending £18m on their development, not £1-£2m...

SCUNTHORPE United hope their new stadium will put them on the map as a footballing and sporting community.

The club's plans for a new £18 million stadium were yesterday given the go ahead – and the ground looks set to open in July 2016.

He told the committee the stadium will "put us on the map, not just as a footballing community, but as a sporting community".

The development will include a hotel and office space as well as training facilities for all the club's senior and junior sides.

If we don't move down that route we will not be able to compete. And it's for that reason that a big parcel of land that not only generates car parking revenue (and on the flip side causes loads of parking issues if it is lost) but has loads of other potential uses is surely a no-brainer for the club to buy.

Not disagreeing with you about the need for more revenue sources , but in Burslem your avenue is more limited. The only quick and large return could be residential, but then you dont gain the match day parking option.

The location is fairly shocking for transport as on a busy day you are buggered. No easy and quick access, unlike all these new builds off these main A roads.

I can't see a rush of commercial development in Burslem and shops are limited as well. Maybe this new council could offer some hope for the smaller towns , but you can't help feeling they will spend 5 years trying to pay for all the waste the last lot left behind.

As for sports facilities , was it Bratt or Mo who wanted dimensions? Someone was ahead of the game on this one but it never seemed to happen.

Not disagreeing with you about the need for more revenue sources , but in Burslem your avenue is more limited. The only quick and large return could be residential, but then you dont gain the match day parking option.

The location is fairly shocking for transport as on a busy day you are buggered. No easy and quick access, unlike all these new builds off these main A roads.

I can't see a rush of commercial development in Burslem and shops are limited as well. Maybe this new council could offer some hope for the smaller towns , but you can't help feeling they will spend 5 years trying to pay for all the waste the last lot left behind.

As for sports facilities , was it Bratt or Mo who wanted dimensions? Someone was ahead of the game on this one but it never seemed to happen.

Well, it's already been said in the post above - but the reason many clubs move is to get to a location where those faciities can be easily built/are needed.

I know the argument for Vale to move is a divisive one - but for me, we either need to get in the non-matchdays revenue where we are now (and the logical way would be to get the Co-Op land) or we move to a new ground where arguments over who gets the best stand facilities become irrelevant, we can have dedicated and isolated areas for dodgy away support, we can have home and away matchday bars and we can be not hemmed in by terraced streets.

One of the many crazy things with these demands is I think that the fact that a fence is now between the fans actually to some extent encourages trouble. The sixteen year olds get braver and mouthier as they now have protection from the opposition fans as there is a fence between them. This will be widely reported by the police and will justify it being a permanent fixture.

Unfortunately I agree with you Smugsy.

Couldn't the old club shop on the Lorne street side be turned into a home fan pub?.

I understand that is the plan.Tommy's as was now Social club is to be knocked down in 12 months then the old club shop to be turned into 'Tommy's'

Dose's that mean away fans cannot visit the club shop as they will be mixing in with home fans getting match day tickets or are no tickets going to be sold on a match day. and what about the away fans that park in the streets a round the ground are the police going to be standing on every corner so they can march them to the ground haven't seen any in Dollys lane area for years. Smurf put the fence right round the Hamil road including the home part then once the fans step on the pavement in Hamil road they are no longer your problem.

I understand that is the plan.Tommy's as was now Social club is to be knocked down in 12 months then the old club shop to be turned into 'Tommy's'

Can't see why they can't leave Tommy's there for away supporters, Swindon have one for home & away, extra income.

Couldn't the old club shop on the Lorne street side be turned into a home fan pub?.

I think that was built into the concourse so if that side of the LS was to be opened in the future all the club shop walls, fittings etc would need to go so that the concourse could be completed.

25k an month in Burslem. I think someone has been watching homes under the hammer for too long. :)

I can't see there being. a long list of takers as its hardly the most desirable location. A few years ago maybe a supermarket would want it, but not now. Most likely make a nice housing estate for a developer.

The only business use I could see would be a call centre. Yet all of these would want the carpark for their staff on a Saturday of course. Not many 9-5ers these days.

Somebody has already taken the building and is moving a business in. Don't know if they have bought the land or are renting it though.

Am I the only one who is not surprised by staffordshires greatest!, complete and utter nonsense. Myself, my wife and my three daughters WILL be having a drink in the "vale social" (clue is in the name Mr. Ellis) tomorrow and I suggest everyone who backs smurf should send an email/letter to the idiots like we did after the Wolves fiasco and complain about this prejudice against OUR club and OUR chairman.

Am I the only one who is not surprised by staffordshires greatest!, complete and utter nonsense. Myself, my wife and my three daughters WILL be having a drink in the "vale social" (clue is in the name Mr. Ellis) tomorrow and I suggest everyone who backs smurf should send an email/letter to the idiots like we did after the Wolves fiasco and complain about this prejudice against OUR club and OUR chairman.

I think we need to know for certain what Smurf knew about it and what the Donny fan's knew about it first.IF the Donny fans knew about the closure before Smurf then that is very underhand and needs explaining.

Archived