onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Fleetwood linesman that gave the pen!

bar1

The linesman/Assistant Referee did not give the penalty. The referee gave the penalty but consulted the assistant referee before he did so. It certainly looked a penalty,i.e. it looked as though McGivern tried to pull back the Fleetwood player in the penalty area. However the referee and his assistant were both a lot nearer to the incident than I was. We would all do a lot better if we accepted decisions and got on with the game.

Advert

The linesman/Assistant Referee did not give the penalty. The referee gave the penalty but consulted the assistant referee before he did so. It certainly looked a penalty,i.e. it looked as though McGivern tried to pull back the Fleetwood player in the penalty area. However the referee and his assistant were both a lot nearer to the incident than I was. We would all do a lot better if we accepted decisions and got on with the game.

But the ref did not think it was a penalty that's why he didn't give it initially, until the linesman from Fleetwood intervened.

There is even some enormous schools in stoke and private schools as well. Nuts innit! I bet that liner was thinking about money when he gave that peno the fat cat.

He probably was- your attempt at dark humoured sarcasm begs the question- are you REP in disguise?

I agree. However the officials should not be put in a position that allows queries over their impartiality,can you imagine Liverpool if the linesman in a game against Man U came from Salford?

Not quite the same admittedly, but there is a current league ref, who is a Vale fan. He has been the ref in pre-season etc, but has never been the ref or linesman in a league game and he really wouldn't want to. However, about 2 seasons ago he came to watch the vale when he didn't have a match and because of the illness of a ref or linesman ended up being 4th official. He wasn't best pleased, as it put him in a bad position, especially if he ended up going on during the match!

Hi Jean Is this a fact I have learned that it is the Football League who appoint officials so will be taking it up with them although I understand the result stands

The story comes from the Fleetwood message board which says that the Asst Ref is a teacher at Fleetwood High. Unfortunately, the school website does not include a staff list so it's not easy to corroborate this. I can only assume it's correct because it would be an odd thing for their fans to say if it wasn't true. The school website does say that the Head is a keen Fleetwood Town fan so perhaps the liner was after a promotion!

Not quite the same admittedly, but there is a current league ref, who is a Vale fan. He has been the ref in pre-season etc, but has never been the ref or linesman in a league game and he really wouldn't want to. However, about 2 seasons ago he came to watch the vale when he didn't have a match and because of the illness of a ref or linesman ended up being 4th official. He wasn't best pleased, as it put him in a bad position, especially if he ended up going on during the match!

A few years ago the 4th official was from Chesterton for one of our home games and he ended up reffing it, but we lost 2-0 to Barnet so it didn't matter!

The story comes from the Fleetwood message board which says that the Asst Ref is a teacher at Fleetwood High. Unfortunately, the school website does not include a staff list so it's not easy to corroborate this. I can only assume it's correct because it would be an odd thing for their fans to say if it wasn't true. The school website does say that the Head is a keen Fleetwood Town fan so perhaps the liner was after a promotion!

Thats good enough for me ...Right Get OFSTED in and really give em something to moan about!

If and its a big IF... The linesman has an association with the Fleetwood area - the rumour is that he teaches in Fleetwood, not that he resides in Fleetwood, and that his employment is an admited Fleetwood supporter then there is clearly a conflict of interst and it may be considered that his employer may apply unwarrented pressure in a competative match. As a man of integretity upon being allocated the match he should have approcahed the referee's association, IN PRIVATE, and declared a conflict of interest, explaining that the person he reports to his a dedicated Fleetwood town supporter, that the school he teaches at has ties with Fleetwood and his running the line may be misinterepreted by some. By doing that he would have kept the fact from his employer and would have not been seen to have had any conflict of interest.

But then again - thats what a man of integrity would do - Wonder why he didn't - perhaps he teaches liberal studies and doesnt know what he should have done. Maybe the Referees association doesnt understand conflict of Interest declarations

It wasnt a penalty just goes to show money talks and Fleetwood have it in droves. Have you seen the size of their schools? When me and the missus went to cleaveleys in the summer (cleaveleys is a beach just out of fleetwood) we drove through parts of Fleetwood the schools are enormous and there is even a private school called russells (where all the posh barstools go)

Big schools are cheaper to run than lots of small ones though.

Archived