onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

"Illegal migrants in Calais should be sent to Britain!"

Pheonix Vale

There are two underlying problems. The first is economic inequality in the world. This makes it inevitable that people from poor countries will want to move to wealthy countries. To some extent this is being tackled and I understand poverty in the world has reduced. But nonetheless inequality exists in the EU, between continents, between countries like Mexico and the US, with the outcome of economic migrants. Second is war, torture, despot regimes etc. These cause asylum seekers. The scale of these problems seems greater than in the past?

Cameron got challenged today about using the word swarm to describe the flow of people towards us. In our humanity we want to help them, but their number is too great and their problems too difficult to resolve in their own countries. Hard to see any light with this one and this picture in the mind is worth a 1000 words in describing the scale of the problem.

Advert

The vast majority of these poor people leave Africa to get to the EU from Libya.

Do you mean they are travelling via Libya or are from Libya cos the majority seeking asylum/fleeing violence are not from Libya

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29074736

"The UN High Commissioner for Refugees' representative in France, Philippe Leclerc, said most of the migrants in Calais were fleeing violence in countries such as Syria, Eritrea, Somalia and Afghanistan."

Doesn't alter the fact that the west has played a huge and damaging part in what's going on in places such as Syria and Afghanistan.

There is for me an interesting graph in the above link "Top 10 countries of origin for people seeking asylum in the UK". Albania is 5th on the list

From the same article

"The UK is certainly not alone as a target destination. According to the EU's statistics body Eurostat, Germany saw the most non-EU asylum seekers in 2014 - almost 203,000 - followed by Sweden, Italy, France, Hungary, and then the UK."

I suppose that once legitimately in the EU they are free to enter the UK and some/many may do so. But this does to me suggest that in no way are they all (not even a majority) trekking thru Europe to get to the UK rather than seeking safe haven elsewhere in the EU.

Are they civilised when they are threatening lorry drivers and families with knives and guns?

Desperate people do desperate things..if my family were threatened etc then I might resort to the uncivilized.

If they are genuine asylum seekers fleeing poverty and suffering, why are they not claiming asylum in the first western country they arrive in (Italy/Spain/France)?

It seems that most do..these are not the norm. Could be all sorts of reason why they see the UK as their best chance of getting asylum

There needs to be more done by other countries to resolve this, instead of putting all the pressure on the UK. Why aren't the French encouraging them to claim asylum there instead of palming them off on us?

But the UK does not take in most in the EU..Germany does. We're not even second..something like 5th. Although after they are given EU 'residence' how many then come to the UK I don't know.

Ultimately, what we have is humans in need, so why not help them? Everyone is going bats*** mental over a lion, but couldn't care less about people who need helping.

you invite them to live with you cheeky,i'm sure you could help a couple of families by giving them board and lodging free gratis,it would be interesting to see how you went on with your new found friends.:dizzy:

Ultimately, what we have is humans in need, so why not help them? Everyone is going bats*** mental over a lion, but couldn't care less about people who need helping.

I don't think it's true that people could not care less about people who need helping

Anyone genuinely in need of help we should help and I've not seen anyone on here saying otherwise but it's claimed that many/some are not genuinely in need of help.

Plus people are asking if they are genuinely in such need why don't they ask for that help in the first place able to help them. It's a valid question as far as I am concerned.

But hey you are free to go over to Calais with your car or to hire one and give a few of them a lift to England and take them in even if only temporarily...they are humans in need after all.

How about an EU BORDER control in Spain or Italy? Those wishing to seek asylum can be processed there and distribution of migrants between the EU countries could be monitored and fair. Anyone found in Calais having bypassed the eu border would be deported back to Africa.

How about an EU BORDER control in Spain or Italy? Those wishing to seek asylum can be processed there and distribution of migrants between the EU countries could be monitored and fair. Anyone found in Calais having bypassed the eu border would be deported back to Africa.

As far as I know if someone does successfully claim asylum in Spain or Italy (or anywhere in the EU) they are then free to enter the UK anyway.

Deportation is tricky.,.how do we know where someone has come from if they have no papers and won't tell us?

It may just be that if we are to provide safe haven to those in genuine need of asylum we have to accept that a number not in genuine need will try it on and succeed. A price worth paying to help the genuine? We just have to accept that people have always migrated from the less wealthy/more troubled nations to the wealthier/less troubled going back 100s of years and deal with it..it cannot be stopped unless we simply round 'em up and ship them somewhere else or put them in camps etc..aren't we better than that?

As far as I know if someone does successfully claim asylum in Spain or Italy (or anywhere in the EU) they are then free to enter the UK anyway.

Deportation is tricky.,.how do we know where someone has come from if they have no papers and won't tell us?

It may just be that if we are to provide safe haven to those in genuine need of asylum we have to accept that a number not in genuine need will try it on and succeed. A price worth paying to help the genuine? We just have to accept that people have always migrated from the less wealthy/more troubled nations to the wealthier/less troubled going back 100s of years and deal with it..it cannot be stopped unless we simply round 'em up and ship them somewhere else or put them in camps etc..aren't we better than that?

yes we are but when we are besieged by hoards of dirty scruffy wastrels acting unlawfully with the French having already surrendered then although the results might not be to everyones liking the end might justify the means unless of course capitulation is your strong suit then by all means play it.

Another reason these migrants want to come to the UK is because they don't need an ID card.These are issued to citizens of all European Union member states except Denmark,Ireland and the United Kingdom and also to citizens of Liechtenstein and Switzerland (the latter not formally part of the EEA).

Complete nonsense. The only thing they are in need of is a free life. If they needed helping why didn't they seek it in the first country they came to that could help them????

Archived