onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Referees?

ollyandpatch

Advert

Refs are human, hence they're fallible and will never get every decision correct. I'm surprised on tv replays just how many they do get right given the speed of the modern game.

Bottom line is no refs no game.

Gutted by the mistaken identity last night, guy should have been man enough to admit he was the culprit once the red card had been produced.

According to stats from last season it was almost 94% of decisions were deemed correct, good standards.

However its the key decisions that really count, dismissals, penalties and the ball crossing/not crossing the goal line etc.

The pillock pulling the red out of his pocket instead of the yellow and was all set to wave it for Dodds' first booking made me smile.

If Premiership managers/MOTD pundits think Prem refs are bad, they should watch the Football League show. If last night's ref was in charge of Stoke vs Sunderland he would've given the free kick for Wes Brown's tackle and then sent Ki Sung-Yeung off

Everyone agrees that the Premiership is better for the foreigners being there - Shame it cant be said for the Referees association.

It proves to me that it is time to get some foreign blood in. They cant be worse than the crap that has been on the list for several years now

In recent weeks I believe Vale have had some really poor officiating, and I am not talking about the farce on Tuesday night.

Particulary against Crewe and Walsall, it seemed that the officials could not get simple decisions correct. Against Walsall the ball appeared to leave the pitch on 3 occasions, and the linesman could not seem to see it. Also, against Crewe there seemed to be a complete bias about what was deemed as a foul by a Crewe player, and a foul by a Vale player.

If we'd have lost these game, I would be seriously considering my position as a football fan. You are travelling around the country to see your team, and it seems far too often poor officiating can ruin my afternoon.

Maybe I am taking this far too seriously, but I expect a certain level of refereeing. I know they have difficult jobs with 50/50 decisions. But there is far too much that is within 5 yards of them, and they cannot make the correct decision.

Referee-ing is a thank less job. You will always be poor in one teams eyes or another, you can never be neutral in one fans eyes, youve always given too may decisions in one teams favour. Why would you really want to be a referee, im surpried we have any in this country at all the flack they get.

The problem is they dont get enough support, there are some good ones out there one of the best is a local lad dowdy, all the players respect him because he talks to them and has a joke with them and doesnt take himself too seriously. There are also some poor ones that like the power trip of being a referee. I knew a famous one once who told his professional linesmen/assistance that he made the decisions they were only there for off side and throw ins he didnt need any help, how arrogant is that.

The other problem is assesors they are not neutral enough, they are too close to officials to make sound calls on game management, most of them are ex referees who sympathise with the officials. I bet on the assesor paper the other night against preston the ref would have got more than 6, because any lower and they get dropped, and there isnt enough referees in the production line to fill in.

Big chanes needed for refs but also they need more support and help, and we need to remove the arrogant ones that think they are bigger tan what they are.

I once heard Danny Baker say that all refs are bent. At the time I thought it was a bit over the top, to say the least, but in the intervening years, I've had my doubts. Some of their decisions can be put down to incompetence and some to the pace of the modern game where, to be fair, the FA have let referees down badly by not supporting them more with new technology. And in some cases, the fans getting on a referee's back doesn't help. But some of the decisions I've seen over the years have defied logic in terms of what happened on the pitch.

Do referees have to declare the clubs they support? Do the football authorities take this into account when they're allocating officials to games? If not, how does anyone know whether their own allegiances impair their impartiality? And, quite simply, do they sometimes have a bias or dislike of a particular team?

I remember Micky once saying he'd learned by hard experience not to criticise refs or to make official complaints because, in the end, it simply goes badly for you. Wonder what he meant?

Archived