onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Chris Lines

Rudge's Flat Cap

Just thinking about another player to play in the middle with lines now loft is out.....what about giving gary o'neal a run out i know he is just coming back from injury but when i saw him in pre season he looked very confident when in possession of the ball, an i expect big things from this kid in the future. So i recon we give him and lines a run out see how he does since lofty is injured.

Advert

Chris Lines is the most intelligent footballer at the club.

The other night, he decided to play the 'quarterback' role - picking up the ball and persisting in playing 30/40/50 yard balls forward

As you say, intelligent passes are wasted if forwards don't make intelligent runs.

On the second point, I presume he was acting on orders from MA.

I wouldn't say Lines(for us anyway) is as good as any of the midfield players we had in the 90s because he'd have to do it consistently and in the Championship. I believe he can do and he probably has done it for Sheffield Wednesday but I do agree with tony to big him up too much, certainly in a Vale shirt(for what 10-15 good games?) would be wrong. He's definately the quality of player we need to be challenging in the top half of league one though!

I think Lines is a very valuable player to Port Vale and essential to keeping us in the top half of the table. I think he can play comfortably at Championship level. So if the club want to move upwards he is the type of player we need to keep. He may also help improve the others and some players like Dodds and Taylor who have been League 2 players all their career should improve being around him.

In second half against Walsall we were attacking their end and Lines was on a run and for all the world it looked like he was wearing rolled down socks and no shin pads - I couldn't believe what I was seeing - it was those damn skin coloured socks in the flood lights.

Griff and Jeno wer'nt wearing the skin coloured socks.:D

John Green was great and he had John King alongside him a player in the same mold as Griff

Just thinking the same - Green and King were a perfect combination. I recall seeing them at Old Trafford in the second FA Cup replay against an up and coming Wigan side, then non-league. Green's sublime passing and King's no nonsense tackling were a winning combination. Let's hope we've found the same with Lines and Griff, for all the criticism Griff gets. Happy days.

Your memories must be different to mine. I seem to remember John King playing in the centre of defence alongside Roy Sproson. His favourite trick to make up for his lack of height was to rest his arm horizontally on the back of the opposition striker. A poor man's Bobby Moore.

I stand to be corrected, if my memory is playing up.

Reports linking Chris Lines with other league 1 and Championship clubs.

I think if we get through January with Chris still being a Vale player we will have done very well.

However, unless we can snag a play off place I think we'll most definitely lose him in the summer - he should be playing for a top 6 league 1 side at least and he knows it. Micky has now helped him to work on the uglier side of his game therefore he's probably going to have even more to offer come June.

Reports linking Chris Lines with other league 1 and Championship clubs.

I think if we get through January with Chris still being a Vale player we will have done very well.

However, unless we can snag a play off place I think we'll most definitely lose him in the summer - he should be playing for a top 6 league 1 side at least and he knows it. Micky has now helped him to work on the uglier side of his game therefore he's probably going to have even more to offer come June.

With his current form its not surprising that he is being linked elsewhere,one thing that has disappointed me a little is that I thought with Smurf we would be able to offer longer contracts to players before their deals run out(not like with the last lot when it was always left until the end of the season),we really do need offer something now,push the boat out a bit and build around him.

Then again I guess the uncertainty over the managers contract wouldn't help in any talks either.

Archived