onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Port Vale v Wolves Post Match

1517sharps

I may get accused of wearing rose tinted glasses here but here goes...

League season so far;

Brentford - Thought we played well against what I think is a championship level side. Got a draw which was just about deserved due to our hunger and dedication.

Colchester - Didn't turn up by all accounts. Lost by the odd goal against a side who have made a solid start

Bradford - Fully committed performance, edged the win.

Oldham - By many accounts could have been out of sites by half time but weren't, made to pay after a missed peno and a terrible refereeing decision

Wolves - Full of fight, wanted it more than them. No rub of the green what so ever. On another day would have got a point quite comfortably if not nicked a win against another championship level side IMO.

So in summary- We've taken 1 point from the 2 quality sides we have played, this could have been more given the rub of the green and better refereeing. Beaten Bradford who have started excellently. Colchester we should write off as it was a no show and Oldham where again I think the rub of the green and important moments have gone against us.

No reason to be too disheartened. If decisions and luck are meant to even themselves out over the course of a season I think we will do just fine.

A slow start away from home has cost us the chance of a decent start. Important game next week against struggling Carlisle who as luck would have it with the vale, seem to be coming around after a terrible start. Drew 0-0 at Brentford today!

Onwards and upwards.

A good honest assessment overall. The only thing I will add is that the games so far show that you get punished more in League 1 for your mistakes and when you do not take your chances.

Advert

The better teams at this level have one or two players who make the difference, today it was Leigh Griffiths and McDonald. We don't appear to have anyone who can play the defence splitting pass/control the game.

Their first two goals came out of the blue not because they were dominating the game.

Pleased that Pope scored, gets the monkey off his back.

The better teams at this level have one or two players who make the difference, today it was Leigh Griffiths and McDonald. We don't appear to have anyone who can play the defence splitting pass/control the game.

Their first two goals came out of the blue not because they were dominating the game.

Pleased that Pope scored, gets the monkey off his back.

Them two cost lots of money though.

Looks like MA is impressed with his close season signings,Tomlin,Mohammed and Birchall all failing to make the team or at least cement a first team place,We are basically the same side as last season playing the same old fashioned tactics.

What like Lines, Dicko & Robbo? He was never going to play all the new players!

Played ok. Could have been different with a bit more luck. Pretty even overall but Wolves scored at good times

We were a class below Wolves despite competing up until their first goal. But they gave us a lesson in taking your chances--five attempts on goal and they scored from 3!! Having said that, we played some decent football particularly in the first half and heads understandably dropped only after their second goal.

I thought the team did well against a side of players who have played at a higher level including the Premier League. We had our chances and hitting the inside of the post twice was unfortunate. So too was the injury to Jones which made us vulnerable in that area. I think on the home games I have seen we are a decent enough side to get up to mid table perhaps with a squad size this is a bit small. But the thing is we can play well and keep losing games and to stop that we need to reduce defensive mistakes and take a few more chances. I think Pope is being much better marked at this level and he is less successful, nonetheless that was a very good header near the end to score and he knocked back a few balls with his head that we should have done better with if other players had won the second ball. I think is important to stay together and not get too down. If we can become successful as a counter attack team on the road that would help a lot.

We did ok first half.Poor defence for goal number one,very similar defending at Oldham.Bizarre substitutions by a tactically limited manager.I hope we can turn up next week otherwise I fear that confidence with be non existent shortly.We need to start beating the lesser teams or this season will be over before it's started.Sorry folks,just telling it as I see it.

This was mostly the Wolves kids team so when i saw the team sheet was full of youth teamers i thought we had a chance.

So 3-1 is a poor result really.

What a load of ****. Leigh Griffiths was £250k, Sigurdson £2.4m, McDonald £750k, Kevin Doyle £6.5m, Goldbourne £700k that's some youth team. Dunna make daft statements without checking out the facts!

This was my first match of the season and I have to admit that Wolves just about deserved it. Their passing and ability on the ball was slicker and all of their players looked comfortable in possession.

Saying that, I was pleasantly surprised with the Vale and I think we have enough ability in the side to comfortably finish in mid-table. However, I could not understand what Griffith's role was supposed to be today, if it was to do a holding role it didn't work and he was clearly the poorest midfielder on the pitch. He is a decent League 2 player but I think he's out of his depth at this level. We have far better midfield options on the bench and I do hope Adams doesn't continue to overlook them.

Archived