onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Port Vale v Wolves Post Match

1517sharps

I think one of our major problems is as people say Adams never has a plan B,he cannot change a game when other teams do

Yes, but Yates was at left back for the first and Dickinson for the other two.

Although on two occasions it was dickos man who had pulled off into the space left from our previous attack. The last goal was an embarrassment as popey was our furthest man forward and ended up the closest man to the guy who scored how the fudge did the other 9 lads let that happen.

Advert

Ok then who hit the post in ten mins on the pitch???? I think willo could be a decent player sorry.

I'm basing it on his whole game not one shot. He is like a striker version of rob Taylor. He has the odd moment of magic, but his whole game is weak. Didn't you notice tht as soon as Hughes and JMW went off we looked a lot less threatening. A league 2 back up striker.

And what do you mean 'could be'. Does that mean he isn't yet, because we hear so many people talk about his 'potential' without realising he is 25.

I'm basing it on his whole game not one shot. He is like a striker version of rob Taylor. He has the odd moment of magic, but his whole game is weak. Didn't you notice tht as soon as Hughes and JMW went off we looked a lot less threatening. A league 2 back up striker.

And what do you mean 'could be'. Does that mean he isn't yet, because we hear so many people talk about his 'potential' without realising he is 25.

I agree with that Andy, I actually think rob Taylor is a better forward too.

I agree with g4e that our back up is simply not good enough. Taylor, willo, Mohammed, shuker, duffy, chilvers, dodds are not good enough. That mixed with pope playing like a Sunday league striker and Adams with his Sunday league tactics means a struggle to stay in this division in my opinion.

For me I would certainly try to loan out or move on Taylor,Shuker(and I like him),Duffy,Chilvers and poss Birchall if it allows us to bring in 2 or 3 replacements

What a frustrating game!

First half we matched Wolves and I thought we could go on and win it second half.

Second half we came out and seemed to play a 4312 formation with JMW in a free role, and yes we conceded, but we were attacking and I thought we looked like scoring. Then......the substitutions......and in my opinion, they completely changed the game. We lost all impetus. Why take Hughes off who is a big game player? Why take JMW off who was finally playing on his natural side, looking dangerous going forward and working hard defensively.

Wolves weren't better than us particularly, certainly not 3-1 better than us. Yates was my MoM, I think he's been our best player this calender year, and most players had a good game.

I'm still of the opinion we have the players to do well this season, I just don't (tin hat on) think we have the manager to utilise them to the best of their ability. We didn't lose today because the players weren't good enough, we lost today because of Mickys tactics/substitutions.

Completely agree!

Well. I really enjoyed the game!

Thought the only difference, unfortunately was their goalie. He was tremendous.

Vale looked quite a good team and were beaten by 3 sloppy defensive errors.

Yates, yet again, was outstanding and Lofty too was fantastic. Lines, imo had a good game for the most part and Grif did what he was expected to do, for about 60 minutes, then faded.

Williams in the 1st half was great but again faded out and was starved of the ball.

My honest opinion was that when Jones had to go off we looked unsure at the back, particularly Duffy who has not got a clue when the ball is at his feet. He also looked rusty and slow compared to Yates' enthusiasm.

Don't despair, we will be ok this season as we did not play that bad. It was Wolves after all and they too will accept that the score line was flattering to them.

We deserved a draw.

I am not going to knock Adams, yet but it really is time surely to accept that the front line needs sorting out. We are too slow and it's become a one dimensional attack with 1st Division defenders finding it very simple in blocking any supply and just sitting in Popes and Hughseys backs. We need to spice it up.

Rant/Observation over. I will continue to support Vale and see us finishing just below half way, giving us time to iron out matters for a concerted effort next season, still in Division 1.

Think we were promoted despite our tactics/game plans last season, it won't work this year it needs a bit of thought and creation.

Are strikers are starved, if you make Hughes the chances history says he'll score.

Williamson should be judged when he's had the game time every other strikers have had.

A fluid 3/5/2, 5/3/2 for me but this needed to be sorted per season,Jpt a chance to experiment

I honestly thought, after they had gone one up, that if we had taken one of the two chances, the header against the post or the great save we would not have lost the game.

I did think the pace of the game, especially how they scored on the break, had the feeling of playing with ten men.

As for Pope... Is it a problem with fitness? Is he back on the pop? Is it a supply problem from wingers who seem to have lost the ability to get beyond a fullback? Is he gelling with his strike partner? Have the centre halves he has played against been stronger? I think it may be a combination of all the above? Should he be dropped? Not yet I feel, but I wouldn't hesitate to sub him at half time and give Williamson a longer run out with his pace.

I agree with g4e that our back up is simply not good enough. Taylor, willo, Mohammed, shuker, duffy, chilvers, dodds are not good enough. That mixed with pope playing like a Sunday league striker and Adams with his Sunday league tactics means a struggle to stay in this division in my opinion.

Agree with most of that but Williamson needs more match time, perhaps a loan move, the rest -poor management in signing them.

Three seasons ago rob Taylor looked like a championship player playing off Rico, now he looks Sunday league playing left back / midfield. Have people forgotten qpr, sheff wed, Hereford to name a few

I think his injuries have been the biggest problem with that,his asset was his pace which he has lost imo through injuries(a bit like Michael Owen did)

Archived