onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Port Vale v Wolves Post Match

1517sharps

I thought there wasn't too much between the two sides on the most part during the game however when Wolves had their tails up they did look much more like their value.

On the positives for us I think Loft and Griffith did their jobs very well on the whole although Loft began to fade as the game went on. Generally I think Robertson and Dickinson have been two astute signings whilst the full backs started well. We did look much more shakey after the first goal though and that's because we basically have no defensive cover that is League One standard. Duffy isn't a bad player and gets some unfair stick but he's no more than a last resort back up. We created a few chances, hit the post twice and could have nicked something from the game had we been a bit more clinical. I don't think it would be fair to say we deserved a draw but 3-0 would have been very harsh had Popey not got that one at the death. Finally on the positives I thought Benji and Dodds looked good coming off the bench and could well be worth a start on Tuesday. Dodds in particular offers something a little different and may provide the service we need.

The negatives then, which may be harsh when we're talking about playing Wolves, but it has to be analysed. Firstly the front line lacks service. Lines for me was pretty average today and so far hasn't had the impact I expected. He seemed to be lost positionally at times and although he made some decent runs I felt the game bypassed him a lot. Also his set pieces weren't as good as they have been. Pope is having troubles and we know it. He doesn't look as lively, as sharp or as aggressive as he did last season and I'm not sure what the answer is. He got his goal but otherwise couldn't get in the game. Last season we played balls into his feet, he'd feed the onrushing midfield, then they'd feed him back. This whole game plan seems to have gone out the window as we attempt to evolve the team, but it's not suiting Pope. In fact I'm not sure what the midfield does do now. Today at one point I swear we had Lines on the right and Loft in the centre when Lofty had been a thorn in Wolves side up until that point. I still think we're crying out for another centre midfielder. Someone with presence as Lines seems to have the quality but not the presence to allow us to play him alongside Loft for anything other than the odd game. Once Griff goes in there you know the game plan is more defensive.

The defence needs tweaking somehow. Individually I like the back line we put out today and maybe it's the issues in front that make them look shakey as a unit in patches but it needs a look at. If that involves trying to get Doumbe in somehow and pushing Dicko to left back then we need to try it. We look a little cumbersome and easy to turn at times and the first goal showed how we do make mistakes.

Can't knock the side too much though. Stearman was never going to give Pope and easy day and being able to bring the likes of Sigurdsson off the bench shows what we were up against. I'd have a look at some of the fringe players on Tuesday. Williamson, Dodds and Birchall all deserve a chance as were more than capable in League Two so let's give them a shot.

Advert

The difference was finishing plain & simple - Their No.9 was a class act. Pope is really struggling with the step up whilst I'm afraid Williamson doesn't look L1 level. Like last week we just aren't taking our chances when they arrive & goals change games as they say.

Still we're probably going to lose more than we win this season so it's no time to panic. We could do with getting something next week though.

The difference was finishing plain & simple - Their No.9 was a class act. Pope is really struggling with the step up whilst I'm afraid Williamson doesn't look L1 level. Like last week we just aren't taking our chances when they arrive & goals change games as they say.

Still we're probably going to lose more than we win this season so it's no time to panic. We could do with getting something next week though.

I think Williamson deserves a chance he can go on and play at a higher level, as for Pope I think he needs to spend all week running up hills cus his fitness level is shocking for a professional footballer.

Sort the defence out Adams! And the midfield. And the forwards while your at it! And the substitutions otherwise we will be struggling to stay up at this rate!

To be fair in an ideal world I think(especially with Jones not seeming be fully fit) Adams would like YATES......ROBERTSON...DOUMBE...DICKINSON as his defence.

Looking a shadow of the side from last season, we huffed and puffed through out. Tom pope late consolation was just that. feel that confidence is low and at times we lack the hunger of younger players. Even the bench has little appetite and enthusiasm the squad appears weaker than before. On the positive side you don't play Wolves every week. For a change Micky Adams was honest and just maybe Carlisle will realize our potential and ability in a much stronger league than most believed. Vale won't go down but neither in my opinion will they get into the top ten. Consolidation the priority and confidence building.

Archived