onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained List?

nodge

Advert

I think certainties to leave are McDonald, James, Shuker, Morsy (unless Adams has finally forgiven him) and Andrew. I wouldn't be surprised to see Purse, Taylor or Dodds be released either. The latter has talent but has never been consistent enough to nail down a first team place, while Rob Taylor hasn't improved at all as a player since he's been here.

We should get Dan Jones and Lee Hughes signed up for another season as soon as possible, and then concentrate on improving our centre-back positions and also strengthen the central midfield area.

Taylor has two year deal!

Yeah, which means he's likely to still be at the club next season. I don't begrudge him a place on the bench, but in my opinion humble he can consider himself somewhat fortunate to still be at the club.

If the trusty :shifty: OVF database is accurate then this is how it stands

Out of Contract at the end of season;

Loft, Doug 2011 - April 2013 - June (offer 1 year deal)

Morsy, Sam 2011 - April 2013 - June (offer 1 year deal)

Yates, Adam 2011 - April 2013 - June (offer 1 year deal)

Williamson, Ben 2012 - July 2013 - June (offer 1 year deal)

Johnson, Sam 2012 - July 2013 - June (possible 1 year deal)

McDonald, Clayton 2012 - July 2013 - June

Dodds, Louis 2012 - July Unknown, never officially confirmed but believed to be June 2013 (offer 1 year deal)

James, Kingsley 2012 - July 2013 - June (possible 1 year deal)

Andrew, Calvin 2012 - November 2013 - June

Chilvers, Liam 2012-November 2013 - June (offer 1 year deal)

Birchall, Chris 2013 - January 2013 - June (offer 1 year deal)

Purse, Darren 2013 - January 2013 - June

Hughes, Lee 2013 - January 2013 - June (offer 1 year deal)

Jones, Daniel 2013 - January 2013 - June (offer 2 year deal)

Have another season;

Shuker, Chris 2012 - July 2014 - June (make available for free)

McCombe, John 2012 - July 2014 - June

Lloyd, Ryan 2012 - July 2014 - June (send on loan)

Vincent, Ashley 2012 - July 2014 - June

Duffy, Richard 2012 - July 2014 - June

Taylor, Rob 2012 - July 2014 - June (make available for free)

Davis, Joe 2012 - July 2014 - June (send on loan)

Myrie-Williams, Jennison 2014 - June

Pope, Tom 2012 - July 2014 - June

Neal, Chris 2012 - July 2014 - June

If we kept the same squad size that leaves 5 perm contracts and 4 players that could potentially go on loan. We could then go ahead and get a striker (dicko) 2 CB's and and two CM (Griff & A.N.Other)

Thats my best guess anyway, who knows what MA will decide. Good luck to anyone who does leave our club, and thank you for your hard work this season!!

At centre half we have been two slow. I don't mind McCombe/Chilvers/Purse but not being played together - far too slow. I would keep Chilvers and release Purse, along with McDonald, personally. His positioning is excellent and can actually turn quicker than the moon. Then I'd be in the market for two new centre backs, and let the young lads go out on loan to League 2/Conference Premier teams to get some competitive game time.

I would like Lee Collins to be one of the two new centre backs. Okay maybe we shouldnt look to the past but - par the amazingly coincidental own goal - I thought he was brilliant for Northampton. Plus he can play centre back and Left back. Not too sure about the other centre back but we do need more pace there.

As for central midfield - I think this is our poorest position. We've been far too lightweight this season. Griffith solved this a bit but can he make the step up next year? I like Loft but feel he offers far more on the left side of midfield in front of Jones.

Birchall is a good player and after a MA pre-season I think he will be like a new signing, so I would give him a two year contract. Would give Loft a 2 year contract as well. Think Morsy can be a good player so again, 2 year contract (if him and MA can get along). Not too sure on James as he has potential but needs game so would give him a 1 year contract and send out on loan. Then I think we should be after 2 new central midfielders - 1 older head who has done it in the championship and maybe a younger one who is struggling to get games in the championship.

I would also release Taylor and Shuker on free transfers - as others have said. Taylor has done a good job for us over the last so many years but League 1 is a step too far. As for Shuker I like him as a player but for him to play we need 3 in the middle of the park, which involves basing the team around him. Whilst I think he is a tidy player and is good at set pieces I believe there is better out there.

Upfront Pope again to lead the attack. I like the idea of having Hughes on the bench and bringing him on for 30-45 minutes, when defences maybe lapsing in concentration - which is when he is at his very best. Would release Andrew.

Williamson and Dodds are difficult ones. I would keep Dodds because he can be a good utility player - and offers something different, as shown at the start of the season when playing just behind Pope, which allowed the wingers to get further forward. As for the argument he will player better in that league, although I agree that it is a strange exclamation, he was amazing against Tranmere when they were top of the league.

With Williamson it would be harsh to release him, having played a very good role this season. Having said that I would like us to have a quick nippy striker for next season that is more proven. Plus would he be happy sitting on the bench again, when he could be getting first team football in league two again.

So I would keep Pope, Hughes and Dodds and be in the market for two new Strikers.

Therefore that would be 6 released and 6 bought in, which sounds fairly realistic

I think certainties to leave are McDonald, yJames, Shuker, Morsy (unless Adams has finally forgiven him) and Andrew. I wouldn't be surprised to see Purse, Taylor or Dodds be released either. The latter has talent but has never been consistent enough to nail down a first team place, while Rob Taylor hasn't improved at all as a player since he's been here.

We should get Dan Jones and Lee Hughes signed up for another season as soon as possible, and then concentrate on improving our centre-back positions and also strengthen th

e central midfield area.

At least 2 yrs for Dan Jones if Preston and gills are interested as they would definitely offer him that

I dont quite understand why everyone wants shuker to leave, especially in the first half of the season he was instrumental in our attacking play and i for one would be very happy if he stays on.

Shuker and Morsy were the central midfield pair that got us to the top of the league. On one loss Shuker was then dropped to the bench and has spent much of the rest of the season there. He was never an out and out central midfield player, he is a wide man or one just behind the striker. He has quality in not giving the ball away cheaply, crossing as yesterday and invention on the edge of the box. He is has spent most of his career playing at League 1 and sometime at Championship level.

If the team is restructured he would be a good guy to keep. I think he is really useful to have on the bench and could play some games from the start.

We are no longer "cash-strapped Port vale]

to reiterate the, lets forget he no money, small club mentality rubbish, we're certainly not Man Utd or Stafford rangers, we'll have a very competitive budget for next season - Mickey has worked wonders on what was probably a Shoe string budget this season (bar the last 3 months)

We looked like a patched up team yesterday as soon as we changed the first eleven we were all over the place. Morsy was far better than Shuker. Shuker to me is another Dodds without the goals, can't tackle and gets easily pushed off the ball. If we don't get a central defence or midfield we will struggle next year. As someone said elsewhere we've really limped over the line.

The good news is we got there. I doubt anyone would have fancied our changes in the play-offs.

I wouldn't worry too much about yesterday's selection. We were already there and Micky needed to evaluate his 'other' players before he started to offer new contracts. I think he knows quite well who he wants to keep but needed to take a last look at a few borderline cases.

Archived