onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

iBoom Boom - was it a red?

sapperclarke

Advert

Just seen the incident and IMHO it was an attempt to tackle the player WITH no intent to cause any injury or even foul the player......It was an impact tackle.....It did not even deserve a Yellow card........Twitters put your FA Referee's rule book away and watch the tackle again.

There doesn't have to be intent to foul the player for it to be a red card. I've watched the tackle and if you apply the rules to the tackle its a red card.

Santa - no because there would have been no excessive force.

"A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as serious foul play."

There's no comeback against that. McCombe's tackle endangered the safety of an opponent.

The cleanest, fairest and most innocent of tackles can endanger the safety of any opponent, so are you saying all tackling should warrant a red card, or are you saying it depends if the player gets injured or the extent of the injury?

If you pause the footage at the exact moment the players start to come together the ball still hasn't left McNicolls foot. The two players came together at exactly the same time so this nonsense about it being 'horrendously late' doesn't wash. 99% of defenders would have gone into that block in exactly the same posture it's just unfortunate that McNicoll arrived a split second before McCombe. If McCombe had arrived that same split second earlier we could easily be talking about a serious injury to him. It's just one of those unfortunate incidents that happen in sports every now and again, when two athletes go in at pace both trying to be at the same place at the same time. These challenges happen in most games but luckily the outcomes are different. We are having these discussions because if the extent of the injury and not the challenge.

Best wishes to McNicoll for a full and speedy recovery and also best wishes to McCombe who must be suffering too.

Apologies - the lads name is Nicolls not McNicoll.

Really unlucky, genuine attempt to play the ball, just a fraction too late.

As above, any tackle has the possibility of injuring an opponent. We won't appeal I'm sure, just desperate luck for everyone involved. Hope Nicholls makes a quick and full recovery.

Of course they didnt confront Mccom be, they were too concerned for the players welfare as he lay on the floor screaming in agony. The football was forgotten at that point. Except for some vale fans.

Sadly the majority of our fans were more concerned about the referees decision than the player whose leg was snapped in half.

Wrong! The majority were concerned about the player, it became clear fairly soon that it was a serious injury and the majority of fans responded appropriately to the situation.

Wrong! If the players had thought it was anything but an honest tackle they would have surrounded Boom straight away

Mccombes tackle wasnt malicious but he slid in, hit the player late, caught him with his studs above the ankle.

Exactly, it wan't malicious, and it wasn't with undue force. He has caught the guy slightly late possibly (yellow card), the result of the tackle was horrific but the ref should make his decision on the basis of the tackle not the consequences. Akinfenwa even said “I’ve played against McCombe many times and he didn’t mean that, he’s not a malicious character. Sometimes that happens, it does put football into perspective"

The fact ppl are botheed about whether it was a red are a sad reflection of our football club.

This happens to be a football forum, people talk about what happened during a football and events in and around a football club. To suggest people can't debate because of the nature of the injury is just sanctimonious twaddle

I wish the guy a speedy recovery.

As do the majority of Vale fans including me, we applauded Nicholls when he was stretchered into the ambulance and when the ambulance left the field of play.

Watched it on TV but not in slow mo so I get the same time as the ref to make a decision.

2 players going for the ball.1 gets there first and they both collide so for me it isnt a red card.

Rewind back to the home games.

Montrose for Gillingham lunges in on Neal and catches him on the thigh.

Williams for Dagenham overruns the ball and slides onto Neal catching him in the face.

Neal has worn a protective mask since then.

Both tackles were never ones where the player was likely to won the ball fairly,just hoping the other player chickens out.

Both players should have had a red card but didnt.

McCombes attempt to win the ball was much fairer than the other 2 mentioned.

Sorry for Nicholls because he broke his leg but never a red card

Haven't seen the tackle, and don't particularly want to. Don't know if its a red or not.

The main thing is mccombe will be back playing football in three games times and the other guy could possibly be fighting to play again. I'm not laying blame for it, I'm just trying to give a little perspective. I know who's position I'd rather be in, whether the card was justified or not.

He didn't miss it by a mile - he missed it by a fraction of a second. You see tackles like that in every match and fortunately, they don't produce the same result. It was a far less dangerous challenge than the one on Neal in the D&R match when the bloke went really late at his head. It was very unfortunate but it wasn't disgusting.

If it had been their defender on one of our players--would you say the same?

No it wasn't red, Boom wouldnt oif even been spoken to if it had not been a broken leg. Booking at most in open play.

Just one of them freak accidents that happen in football. Best of luck to Nicholls

P.s. the vale fans having a go at Nicholls and shouting for him to get off the pitch should be ashamed.

what game were u at pal he was clapped off the pitch??? Think ur getting mixed up with what they saying to the ref after his decision!!

If it had been their defender on one of our players--would you say the same?

I would, it was a genuine attempt to tackle the ball and I would hope any centre half would do the same. Unfortunate result but theses things happen, taylor should have been booked for that pathetic back pass.

Archived