onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

iBoom Boom - was it a red?

sapperclarke

Advert

Look at the picture link I posted mccombes boot is halfway up the lads broken shin. If that ain't a red I don't know what is!!!!

Pictures when it comes to this type of thing don't cover the whole story. With the Ramsey one You have Stoke fans to this day who think Ramsey's leg was broken before Ryan clattered him because of a picture. It wasn't, a still picture doesn't tell the whole story.

Look how McCombe's foot is off the ground, it's barely off it. He has gone in a bit studdsy (but not too bad imo) but all it is mis-timed and they happen in football as do accidents. The ref has judged it on the injury and not the fact it's a mis-timed tackle.

Like Lawro calling for three reds in our game today, none were reds, we're going soft.

I've watched it several times in slo-mo. That's in addition to seeing it at the match where the Northampton players were so upset by the challenge that not a single one of them confronted McCombe.

Of course they didnt confront Mccom be, they were too concerned for the players welfare as he lay on the floor screaming in agony. The football was forgotten at that point. Except for some vale fans.

Sadly the majority of our fans were more concerned about the referees decision than the player whose leg was snapped in half.

Mccombes tackle wasnt malicious but he slid in, hit the player late, caught him with his studs above the ankle.

The fact ppl are botheed about whether it was a red are a sad reflection of our football club.

I wish the guy a speedy recovery.

Barcroft is right - it was a red because the ref sent him off - end of. We wish Nicholls well in recovering and hope he gets his career back on track. There was a time when Vale fans would have respected the fact that an opposition player on the deck in agony with both team mates and opponents showing concern for his welfare probably was badly injured. The behaviour of some of the ***** in the away following today was cretinous - no discernment at all, just blind stupidity. If all they can do is spew bile on a genuinely injured player, they need to have a good look at themselves.

Just seen it back on the Football League show. I can see why the referee showed the red card to be honest.

McCombe for me has jumped into the tackle. It was only one footed but his foot was high and had his foot been along the ground I doubt he would have caused the injury he did. It for me was a bad tackle that warranted a red card.

It's blatently obvious to anyone though that McCombe did not jump in with the intent of injuring the player. He jumped in out of desperation to try and stop the goal because he was too far away to slide in normally. There was excessive force in the tackle because he was that desperate to try and stop the goal so for me a red was a correct decision.

The card colour doesn't change the fact though a players season and maybe career has been ruined by an incident that happens every week in football. I wish him the very best in his recovery.

A player is guilty of serious foul play if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when challenging for the ball when it is in play.

A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

Advantage should not be applied in situations involving serious foul play unless there is a clear subsequent opportunity to score a goal. The referee must send off the player guilty of serious foul play when the ball is next out of play.

As black and white as you can get. Apply the letter of the law and McCombe has to go I'm afraid.

If you pause the footage at the exact moment the players start to come together the ball still hasn't left McNicolls foot. The two players came together at exactly the same time so this nonsense about it being 'horrendously late' doesn't wash. 99% of defenders would have gone into that block in exactly the same posture it's just unfortunate that McNicoll arrived a split second before McCombe. If McCombe had arrived that same split second earlier we could easily be talking about a serious injury to him. It's just one of those unfortunate incidents that happen in sports every now and again, when two athletes go in at pace both trying to be at the same place at the same time. These challenges happen in most games but luckily the outcomes are different. We are having these discussions because if the extent of the injury and not the challenge.

Best wishes to McNicoll for a full and speedy recovery and also best wishes to McCombe who must be suffering too.

As black and white as you can get. Apply the letter of the law and McCombe has to go I'm afraid.

So, applying the same letter of the law, would you have sent off McCombe if he'd blocked the ball and not injured the player with the very same 'lunge'.? No, we'd all be saying what a great tackle it was.

So, applying the same letter of the law, would you have sent off McCombe if he'd blocked the ball and not injured the player with the very same 'lunge'.? No, we'd all be saying what a great tackle it was.

"A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as serious foul play."

There's no comeback against that. McCombe's tackle endangered the safety of an opponent.

Just seen the incident and IMHO it was an attempt to tackle the player WITH no intent to cause any injury or even foul the player......It was an impact tackle.....It did not even deserve a Yellow card........Twitters put your FA Referee's rule book away and watch the tackle again.

Archived