onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Moore out

Any manager is only going to be as good as his players.  Our squad was massively lacking and to make matters worse the former DoF was also dictating the style of play.  Hopefully Moore will be able to recruit a balanced squad with strength in depth in every position before the 24-25 season kicks off.  The likelihood is that it’ll take a couple of windows to do this but a bit of that will also depend on how many of our better players stay and how the rest of the retained players shape up in the lower league.  One or two of the strugglers may be decent in League 2.

• Like 3

Advert

31 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Any manager is only going to be as good as his players.  Our squad was massively lacking and to make matters worse the former DoF was also dictating the style of play.  Hopefully Moore will be able to recruit a balanced squad with strength in depth in every position before the 24-25 season kicks off.  The likelihood is that it’ll take a couple of windows to do this but a bit of that will also depend on how many of our better players stay and how the rest of the retained players shape up in the lower league.  One or two of the strugglers may be decent in League 2.

My worry with Moore is trying to figure out what his preferred formation is; because he doesn't seem to have one here and settled on what he did because of what he had available and the players had gotten used to (it wasn't the same setup as his previous clubs). 

So, I'm praying for balance rather than a mess and trying to cover every possible place on the pitch, we'll see. 

I think we are looking at 2 years minimum before coming back up, so what I'm hoping for is just better play from us next season and start building towards getting us back up.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NW9Valiant said:

My worry with Moore is trying to figure out what his preferred formation is; because he doesn't seem to have one here and settled on what he did because of what he had available and the players had gotten used to (it wasn't the same setup as his previous clubs). 

So, I'm praying for balance rather than a mess and trying to cover every possible place on the pitch, we'll see. 

I think we are looking at 2 years minimum before coming back up, so what I'm hoping for is just better play from us next season and start building towards getting us back up.

I think it's hard to play any formation here due to the personnel signed by DF.

We can't play with wingbacks, as we don't have any wingbacks. The only natural one we have is Clarke, which is why Sang, Grant, Massey, Plant have all had to play out of position. 

And we can't play a back 4, because we don't have any full backs apart from Clarke again.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, DaneValiant said:

Huddersfield are pretty much relegated now. Moore won 3 out of 23 and Andre Breitenreiter who took over won 2 out of 13 according to BBC Sport. Hardly turning them around and have them flying up the table like Doncaster. Moore started at Huddersfield in late September after the transfer window. So maybe it was just a bad hand that he was dealt. Much like the cart horses he got stuck with at Vale - again with no transfer window . Let’s give him chance

Yes,Huddersfield fans saying that their manager now was dealt a bad hand with who Warnock got into the club,so i guess the same should be said  for Moore

• Like 3

15 hours ago, philmpv said:

Jury still very much out for me on DM.

Don't blame him entirely for our relegation, though think he has to shoulder some responsibility as he's completely failed to get any kind of tune out of what he has had. He's also continued to play the same formation despite us clearly not being suited for it.

He's actually made us worse going forward imho.

His biggest sin for me has been playing Garrity, our top scorer, in deep midfield for the majority of his time here.

One transfer window and until November for me to prove that he's got what it takes.

Fully agree with this,he hasn't inspired me at all BUT I have said all along he has to have a window at least and see how we start next season,to want him out is silly imo,when he has time to build teams he has proven he can do well

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NW9Valiant said:

I tried finding this out but couldn't so maybe there is a statto out there who knows what formations he favoured at Donny,WBA and Sheff wed

11 hours ago, NW9Valiant said:

Why do you need to figure out a preferred formation?  Often it’s down to finding a system which best suits the players at your disposal.  Anyway formations should be flexible and not too rigid.  Players need to be able to move around to some degree, the main criteria being they’re at least good enough for the level and know and can perform their role in whatever system is employed.  The main thing is to have decent players in each position and good cover so you’re not playing square pegs in round holes.

For me the biggest question in the short term is around who we retain, how many of the players who’ve struggled this season would be good enough next in the league below.  Moore may decide to smash it up and start again but then again may decide to retain a few who we don’t rate.

Not much to say on this apart from the fact that we appear to have no identity, no plan, no cohesion, no passing, no defence, no strikers and a manager who has completely underwhelmed. He knew the score when coming in, so did we. Not entirely to blame but shocking non the less imo. Not confident at all.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

Fully agree with this,he hasn't inspired me at all BUT I have said all along he has to have a window at least and see how we start next season,to want him out is silly imo,when he has time to build teams he has proven he can do well

11 points from 17 games is enough for it warrant it not being silly to want the manager gone. It’s an embarrassing record regardless of what players you are left with. 

Edited by valiant_593
  • Like 4

DM not only has 5 years left on his contract but an unknown length of time on the contracts of the staff he brought in, so "getting rid" would be ruinously expensive. Like others on here I was really pleased at DM's appointment but have been massively underwhelmed by his tactics, substitutions and inability to inject any fight into the players. However and again like others I think he has to be given a chance to bring his own players in over 2 windows then we will see what he's got. The jury is still out but he has it all to do.

• Like 1

Moore is up there with one of the worst managers I've seen. His tactics and substitutions were poor. The argument of inheriting a poor squad is a weak one when you consider he had 17 games left,including games against relegation rivals,in and around us. Apart from Burton and Bristol we only won 2 games.

17 games,10 points. Reverted back to 3-5-2 and played a MF at RWB last game of the season. Shocking.

Lowe,Grant,Smith,Lopata, Iacovitti,Debrah....even Ojo. With his experience could Moore not figure out how to show some of them how to play FB instead of playing Massey,Sang,Shorrock and Plant at WB?

We've gone down cos we're not good enough. Moore left Chislett out too much. When Garrity was back I'd have preferred him up front and play Walters/Weir alongside Ojo(even Plant started in MF at Ipswich last year) ...to at least offer a goal threat. We scored in 7/17 games.

5 more years of his waffling tripe. Well done Carol.

If a team is losing by employing the same tactics week in week out,why revert back to them? I'd have preferred Will Ryder in charge-at least we tried under him.

• Like 7

Moore is up there with one of the worst managers I've seen. His tactics and substitutions were poor. The argument of inheriting a poor squad is a weak one when you consider he had 17 games left,including games against relegation rivals,in and around us. Apart from Burton and Bristol we only won 2 games.
17 games,10 points. Reverted back to 3-5-2 and played a MF at RWB last game of the season. Shocking.
Lowe,Grant,Smith,Lopata, Iacovitti,Debrah....even Ojo. With his experience could Moore not figure out how to show some of them how to play FB instead of playing Massey,Sang,Shorrock and Plant at WB?
We've gone down cos we're not good enough. Moore left Chislett out too much. When Garrity was back I'd have preferred him up front and play Walters/Weir alongside Ojo(even Plant started in MF at Ipswich last year) ...to at least offer a goal threat. We scored in 7/17 games.
5 more years of his waffling tripe. Well done Carol.
If a team is losing by employing the same tactics week in week out,why revert back to them? I'd have preferred Will Ryder in charge-at least we tried under him.

Yh it's bizarre. Unless he's saying to himself I know this lot are <ovf censored> etc give me next season.
He seems over joyed and proud that we can occasionally keep a clean sheet.
F me that's really a winning mentality.
A huge amount to prove next season with no where or nothing to hide behind

1 minute ago, DazFred said:

We've gone down cos we're not good enough.

Under two different managers.  Moore joined Huddersfield in September after the window had closed and he'd inherited a dodgy squad.  He came to Vale after the window had closed and he inherited a dodgy squad with two overpaid strikers who couldn't score if their lives depended on it.  Let's see what he can do when he brings in his own players and has a full pre season with them.  If we still look garbage well he'll have to suffer the consequences.

I can't agree he is one of the worst managers though.  Have you forgotten Michael Brown, Jim Gannon, Denis Butler to name just a few?!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Jacko51 said:

Under two different managers.  Moore joined Huddersfield in September after the window had closed and he'd inherited a dodgy squad.  He came to Vale after the window had closed and he inherited a dodgy squad with two overpaid strikers who couldn't score if their lives depended on it.  Let's see what he can do when he brings in his own players and has a full pre season with them.  If we still look garbage well he'll have to suffer the consequences.

I can't agree he is one of the worst managers though.  Have you forgotten Michael Brown, Jim Gannon, Denis Butler to name just a few?!!

I know all of them. Look at Moore's record,Jacko?

We weren't in the relegation zone and had a -15 goal difference after 29 games. Moore managed a -18 in 17 games. I think he's dreadful and I didn't go the last 2 home games due to the awful football 

• Like 5