onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer rumours and speculation

Advert

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

2 year deal for mal in league 1. Wow. He’s a nice bloke but I still think he’s a league 2 player. Criminal how they got 6 points off us last season 

He isn’t though is hes. Hes a league one player that’s done well for Shrewsbury. Nothing criminal about them beating us last season either, we just weren’t good enough. 

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

He isn’t though is hes. Hes a league one player that’s done well for Shrewsbury. Nothing criminal about them beating us last season either, we just weren’t good enough. 

You obviously didn’t go to the games! 

21 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

There was. They were dire both matches, were absolutely hammered them away from home just couldn’t score. For me Benning isn’t league 1 level, he’s a league 2 player. I think it says more about Shrewsbury more than anything. 

5 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

There was. They were dire both matches, were absolutely hammered them away from home just couldn’t score. For me Benning isn’t league 1 level, he’s a league 2 player. I think it says more about Shrewsbury more than anything. 

I'd agree with that. There were 7 poor teams in league 2 who all could have gone down. Shrewsbury stayed up because they won vital games against the other teams in that group. Our record in those head to heads was worse than any of the other 6 sides. Quite a few of the games we lost we were marginally the better of two poor sides. With hindsight one of the errors we made was not making sure Garrity (our best finisher) and Chislett (second best) weren't always player further forward. In tight games in that mini league sneaking a goal was really important.  A lot of focus has been on the failure to land a striker in January.  Yet if we'd brought in a decent central midfield player how many more goals would Garrity have scored further forward? Garrity has even played a few games as a striker and scored.  There were a couple of games when Moore dropped Chislett and Garrity deeper ... to accommodate 2 strikers who weren't scoring goals!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, valiant steve said:

He's right.... we might have had most of the play,but when you can't hit a barn door or 24 foot ot goal then yep we weren't good enough ,and yes I do go to the games 

Edited by Splodger
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, 1 said:

Surely having a hand in Arblaster's success must put us in prime place to get some decent loans again from them. In fact 6 prem clubs by my count either owe us for assisting with the development of their talent responsibly, or to make amends for what we've put up with this season.

Not that I like the uncertainty of loan recalls, but 1 or 2 decent ones would be nice, plus in L2 there's less likelihood of a recall to push them up to the next level.

It is possible to get really good prem loanees at L2 level. Finn Azaz when at Newport immediately springs to mind, though can’t think of many others so he may just be an exception.  Jury is out for me regards our ability to still attract the better loan talent from the PL & Champ, since don’t know how much getting Ollie, Alfie, Dan Gore etc through the door, was down to the famous/infamous PowerPoint presentations and the ethos of the club the now former management team were promoting.  A clone or two of the Newport County Azaz or someone with similar ability would be more than welcome.

Posted (edited)

I know he has struggled with health issues and I aren't sure if he is over them or not but would Charlie Wyke be worth a punt for league 2 or Josh Magennis(more of an Uche type) both released by Wigan?

Stephen Humphrys also another forward released

Edited by werstayinup

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, valiant steve said:

It just sounds like sour grapes mate. It sounds ridiculous to be slagging league one players and teams off when we were dreadful ourselves.

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

He’s playing in league one consistently. It’s not that difficult to grasp is it.  “Hammering” a team and not beating them means nothing. It’s just bitterness to be looking at another club and their players and slating them as not good enough. Meanwhile we endured horrendous runs, results, form and relegation. People in glass houses. They’ve got the chance to have another go next season and enjoy big localish games against the likes Stockport, Wrexham, birmingham whilst we’re looking forward to Accrington, Bromley and Carlisle turning up in their tens. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I know he has struggled with health issues and I aren't sure if he is over them or not but would Charlie Wyke be worth a punt for league 2 or Josh Magennis(more of an Uche type) both released by Wigan?

I was wondering if Tom Pearce might be someone we were looking at for leftback.  

In recent years it seems that the goal output from a lot of strikers falls off a cliff when they turn 30. Not too sure why that is. I suspect Wyke will get a contract at league 1 level.