onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer rumours and speculation

10 minutes ago, JRC said:

I was wondering if Tom Pearce might be someone we were looking at for leftback.  

In recent years it seems that the goal output from a lot of strikers falls off a cliff when they turn 30. Not too sure why that is. I suspect Wyke will get a contract at league 1 level.

The good thing at the moment is that i am sure we are looking at free agents obviously but also those out of contract but offered deals by their clubs along with one or two who could cost us a fee

The rumour was we offered money for the lad Young at Bradford who scored a lot on loan for Swindon,I wonder if that one will be resurrected 

Advert

6 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

The good thing at the moment is that i am sure we are looking at free agents obviously but also those out of contract but offered deals by their clubs along with one or two who could cost us a fee

The rumour was we offered money for the lad Young at Bradford who scored a lot on loan for Swindon,I wonder if that one will be resurrected 

Maybe, although Young was looking to play league 1 or Championship football.  Dan Kemp would also be a good signing but I think he'll get a gig at a higher level. 

7 minutes ago, JRC said:

Maybe, although Young was looking to play league 1 or Championship football.  Dan Kemp would also be a good signing but I think he'll get a gig at a higher level. 

Obviously we haven't seen him week in week out but his goals certainly stand out for a midfielder(Kemp I mean) he seems to be in a similar mould to Chislett,so if Chislett does go then who knows as he certainly knows where the net is

33 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

He’s playing in league one consistently. It’s not that difficult to grasp is it.  “Hammering” a team and not beating them means nothing. It’s just bitterness to be looking at another club and their players and slating them as not good enough. Meanwhile we endured horrendous runs, results, form and relegation. People in glass houses. They’ve got the chance to have another go next season and enjoy big localish games against the likes Stockport, Wrexham, birmingham whilst we’re looking forward to Accrington, Bromley and Carlisle turning up in their tens. 

It’s not bitter what so ever. They were very poor against us, and won. I’m not sure how I’m being bitter by suggesting they were a poor side (gd suggests this also) and that Mal isn’t at that level. I have commented on Mal getting a deal not sure where this idea of slating has come from? Just because he’s playing regularly Dosent mean he is at that level.  
When we stayed up but were dreadful in league 2, we’re Mills, Fitzpatrick ect at that level? I like Mal and won’t slag him off, I just think he’s a league 2 player who wasn’t overly brilliant for us in league 2 and shrews were the weakest side we played. Not doubting they were stronger than us. 

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

I know he has struggled with health issues and I aren't sure if he is over them or not but would Charlie Wyke be worth a punt for league 2 or Josh Magennis(more of an Uche type) both released by Wigan?

Stephen Humphrys also another forward released

I dont think we will be looking at released League One players somehow 

Can we not rewrite history over Benning?

He was poor in the first half of the promotion season to the extent he didn't start between October and February then came back in at Bradford when we went on a good run. 

He was awful in the three games we lost that nearly cost us promotion and was dropped for the Exeter game until Hussey got injured.

He was far too lightweight for League One and we rightly showed him the door.

The issue was replacing him with someone better, which we didn't, and now it looks like he was the answer all along.

Just because Conor Grant has been crap doesn't make Benning good.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NW9Valiant said:

“Mal Benning is a League 2 player” is the kind of Flitcroftism that got us Connor Grant. 

I’d rather team players than individuals who don’t show up. 

Pleased for Mal, good for him. 

Benning wasn’t very good and some suddenly think he’s class just because Flitcroft signed an awful replacement. 

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Granville said:

I dont think we will be looking at released League One players somehow 

Just out of interest for what reason?

DM himself at the meeting said we were looking at players from higher up,I aren't that convinced he would lie so for me we will be looking at them,will we get any well that's different

5 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Benning wasn’t very good and some suddenly think he’s class just because Flitcroft signed an awful replacement. 

I would never say he was class but i just dont think he was as bad as some make out..... was i bothered at the time that he was released no,however did we replace him then that's obviously a no

Maybe in the coming years Shorrock will be good enough to do that(if he signs his deal of course)

I watched the Crewe play off games over the last week and as someone else put on another thread i thought Adelakun looked a decent attacking playing for Doncaster,looked a threat in both games and by all accounts has been a focal point of their good run since going on loan from Lincoln. He has been released by Lincoln so is available(Donny could be favourites of course),i am sure DM and his team will of been watching the play off games as he did allude to that. He has good height as well at 6'3

I also thought that Demetriou despite his miss kick in the first leg was exactly the kind of CB we need in League 2 just signed a new deal there so wont be him of course but he is the type we need imo

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

He’s playing in league one consistently. It’s not that difficult to grasp is it.  “Hammering” a team and not beating them means nothing. It’s just bitterness to be looking at another club and their players and slating them as not good enough. Meanwhile we endured horrendous runs, results, form and relegation. People in glass houses. They’ve got the chance to have another go next season and enjoy big localish games against the likes Stockport, Wrexham, birmingham whilst we’re looking forward to Accrington, Bromley and Carlisle turning up in their tens. 

I'd be surprised if Shrewsbury aren't near the bottom again next season.  It's hard for sides with smaller gates to get players in once they are struggling.  A lot of their squad is the wrong side of 30 and they've let a lot go, so need a lot of recruitment. That will be hard with a limited budget and a probable relegation battle.

With hindsight we struggled in part because we got promoted with a squad in the decline part of their career. For different reasons Proctor, Wilson, Conlon, Pett, Worrall and Hussey were all in their career twilight's. Pett and Worrall defied age (and for Pett injuries) and did relatively well last season. For quite a few it was cumulative injury rather than age and I still think Conlon could come good if he has 2 or 3 injury free seasons. It was a similar squad to the McGrath promotion, which had relied on a number of key older players. I think the first Rudge promotion is probably a better model. Ally Brown and Maguire added a bit of experience but the core of that side were Sproson,  Earle, Jones, Hunter, Webb and Bromage. They were all players young enough to have significant careers after promotion.  Some were sold and some developed to have a significant role in future success. My hunch is Moore will recruit more for experience than potential and we may end up in a since repeat cycle but we shall see.

Benning is an OK lower league 1 player when he's playing well. He has been inconsistent at Shrewsbury and was dropped a couple of times. His real super power is being OK but left footed. There is a real dearth of good left sided players in league 2 and the bottom half of league 1. If he was a right footed rightback he'd be league 2. Pre injury Connor Grant was a much better player. Sadly post injuries he is much diminished as a midfielder or leftback. Maybe having played a good number of games last season he may have the confidence in his body to have a good 2024/25. 

• Like 1