onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Northampton (A) match thread - 1st April

robf

Advert

1 minute ago, valiant_593 said:

9 goals and 7 assists isn’t a bad return. Madness to sub off a player with those stats when losing at half time. 

Basically on stats alone our most productive player.

Uche 1 in 19 is as damning as Loft yet he's a cult hero. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rockape99 said:

I heard Chislett got a knock .

That's not what Mike Baggaley says in his newsletter. He said he spoke to Moore and both H/T subs were purely tactical. 

Quote - "Ethan Chislett and James Plant were replaced at half time yesterday while Jesse Debrah and Ryan Loft came off on 58 minutes and Baylee Dipepa on 73. Darren Moore confirmed all those changes were tactical and none were because of injury"

I'd agree with some of the earlier comments that Chislett, as far as stats go, is potentially one of the best sources of goals and assists. 

Even if Moore thinks Chislett needs to be replaced, I would hope in the next match he may consider bringing on Walters to partner Ojo and pushing Garrity further up. I just don't think Weir is adding anything at the moment. 

• Like 4

That's not what Mike Baggaley says in his newsletter. He said he spoke to Moore and both H/T subs were purely tactical. 
Quote - "Ethan Chislett and James Plant were replaced at half time yesterday while Jesse Debrah and Ryan Loft came off on 58 minutes and Baylee Dipepa on 73. Darren Moore confirmed all those changes were tactical and none were because of injury"
I'd agree with some of the earlier comments that Chislett, as far as stats go, is potentially one of the best sources of goals and assists. 
Even if Moore thinks Chislett needs to be replaced, I would hope in the next match he may consider bringing on Walters to partner Ojo and pushing Garrity further up. I just don't think Weir is adding anything at the moment. 

I agree with Rhys in with Funso. I feel Ben's wasted not being pushed further up. Kind of subdues and pacifies our leading scorer playing where he is atm
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Bimbleabout said:

I agree with Rhys in with Funso. I feel Ben's wasted not being pushed further up. Kind of subdues and pacifies our leading scorer playing where he is atm

That's my view too. I actually think Ethan adds something different, but he doesn't seem to be Moore's cup of tea. 

If that's the case then surely it's worth pairing Ojo and Walters and putting our top-goalscorer in a more advanced role?

I think it makes sense especially considering how toothless our forwards are (with the honourable exception of Baylee who is still learning his trade). 

I think BG is in his element making surging runs into the box. I also think Rhys Walters is an interesting one as he's potentially more than just a ball winner, he can produce the odd quality through ball. I can see (or I hope I will see) BG potentially thriving off a few of them...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, robf said:

I watched this game by commentary and statistically. Now I have seen the highlights. The two people getting shots on target were Garrity and Lacovitti. Smith also managed an attempt. The forwards did nothing. Looking at the highlights, Chilslett annoys me because he could have got a shot away and didn't in the first. I am not surprised he got taken off. Moore would give Dipepe and Loft second chances at half time because they have recently scored. It's all up front this game as to why we lost - surely someone should have scored including Uche when he came on. We are paying the price for letting our top scorer last season leave and not bringing in an equivalent replacement who surely would have slotted against Northampton. 

Edited by Warren

For me Chislett is pushed over by their No5 as he was about to shoot for the first chance, it's clearly visible on iFollow. For Uche's chance, a natural goal scorer would have taken a few more steps closer and then either shot or played it into the path of Garrity who was steaming towards the goal unopposed.

Conversely Ripley should have done better with Pinnock's effort but Pinnock was closer to Ripley and low and hard then works most of the time.

Catalogue of missed chances yesterday.

Only straws to cling to are DM seems more certain about his core starting players, we're playing better as a team now, creating a few more chances and the defense looks a tad more secure with Yak in it, but it is clutching at straws.

The dropped points against Carlisle and Cheltenham away and Fleetwood at home are gonna cost us big time, all academic though now.

• Like 2

Yet again yesterday the weakness of the right side of  our defence was brutally exposed on two occasions. 
The first goal Tom Sang had two yards on his man, got caught ball watching and never looked like catching him after Loft gave it away in midfield .  The second he was at least level and got left for dead.  Debra as right sided defender was MIA and provided no cover for the first goal.  I’m not sure who should have been covering for the second.
Sang must have cost us a dozen goals this year. A serial ball-watcher,  he can’t tackle or head, is a predictable crosser, and simply too slow and lacking athleticism for his position.
Debra looks positionally naive and has the distribution of a three-legged camel.

Both are non-leaguers the season after next. I just hope it’s not with Vale. 

Edited by BlytheValiant
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, robf said:

Mighten was playing before he got injured. Not sure what's going on with Lopata though.

I thought Lopata was the good in the air dominant centre half we needed when recruited. Except he isn't.

Debra is our player. I watched Altrincham v Oldham a little while on Monday because it fluked on to TV. Conlon playing. Also another player of interest in James Norward. It is a massive step down to the National League from L1 from what I saw.

Therefore it's a massive step up for Debrah. But I think there is material to work with and I'm keen to see him stay a while.

Interesting was Norward, previously playing for Barnsley and past of Tranmere where I saw him a few time. Norward was very quick and a prolific scorer at Tranmere. But now looks what he is - a bearded forward approaching mid 30's that's lost sharpness.

So my point there is that as a striker he will be on a good wedge at Oldham. But I can absolutely see why Barnsley let him go. There are expensive mistakes to be made by retaining or recruiting strikers at our level. However, that being the case it was hard for PV to get it more wrong with our forwards that we have. The only one I would actively recruit is Garrity and he is really an advanced midfielder / forward. 

Edited by Warren