onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Option for DOF or similar role

2 hours ago, Brian Johnson said:

So that is all Foyle does is scout non-league?

His knowledge and expectations have been honed in non league. I just think hiring a guy as our DOF whose highest level management position was with us is 18 years ago and whose management success has been a bit limited, isn’t really any likely to be as successful as Flitcroft. 

Advert

2 hours ago, Brian Johnson said:

Again, Im going to point this out and ask the question because no one's answered yet but why do people think that Colin Garlick should replace Flitcroft??

It's turning out to be the one of the most bizarre thing's to see people saying it should be Colin Garlick.

Brian, it’s not the most bizarre thing I’ve heard recently, from three ppl.

’Bring Boris back’

• Haha 1

Foyle does seem to have some experience, so not a bad call. I’m wondering if the DOF job would require someone to be at the club everyday. If not and with technology I’m going to suggest someone who I said wouldn’t come as our manager because of having to be at the club everyday, when he’s based full time now in the south. Gareth Ainsworth.

Colin Garlick was not or will ever be a D of F. His role was more to do with the administration side of the club a bit like Bill Lodey's role. Colin had no input to the football side of things. He didn't scout he didn't recruit and didn't advise on any football policy. If we are to go with another director of football it won't be Colin.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

His knowledge and expectations have been honed in non league. I just think hiring a guy as our DOF whose highest level management position was with us is 18 years ago and whose management success has been a bit limited, isn’t really any likely to be as successful as Flitcroft. 

Stevie wonder could have done

a better job than Fraudcroft 😬👍

42 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

How do you know they have been honed in on non- league?

Have you got a list of the player's that he's had various clubs to sign?

17 minutes ago, mbycars said:

Colin Garlick was not or will ever be a D of F. His role was more to do with the administration side of the club a bit like Bill Lodey's role. Colin had no input to the football side of things. He didn't scout he didn't recruit and didn't advise on any football policy. If we are to go with another director of football it won't be Colin.

Even though you have blocked me. Very well put and it's exactly what I have been trying to say but you explained far better than I could.

Thanks

For me the Director of Football should be the person who is responsible and is the manager of the 1st team, the person who sets the tactics and picks the 1st team. Everything football should flow down from him.

The club should employ a "Football Recruiter" who reports to the DoF/Manager and the DoF/Manager tells the "Football Recruiter" who he wants the club to sign and the "Football Recruiter" goes out and signs players. This "Football Recruiter" may or may not be a football person but should be very skilled in the arts of negotiation and persuasion.

The DoF/Manager has the usual coaches and staff reporting to him.

So in Vale's current set up, Darren Moore would be the DoF/Manager and be part of the Board of Directors that runs the club. Vale would look to recruit a "Football Recruiter" to report to Darren Moore.

The DoF needs to be a football man, Knows football, the Football Recruiter needs to have other skill sets.

Could imagine the likes of Phil Sproson (Not that he'd be interested) or Colin Garlick  fulfilling the "Football Recruiter" role.

I like Leon Legge as a bloke but he has no experience outside of playing, and he hardly covered himself in glory with his tweets during the pandemic. He’s free to have his opinion but I’m not sure that’s somebody I’d personally want as the most senior footballing person at the club.

Foyle, on the other hand, is a great shout and I suspect he’s Carol’s number 1 target with him being at the game yesterday. It might take a bit of convincing to pull him away from SPL and St Mirren if he’s settled there. But a promotion from Head of Recruitment to Director of Football might be enough to pique his interest.

Whoever comes in should have less power than DF seemed to have. I’d even argue they should be on the same seniority level as the manager, despite the “director” title.

I don’t know what we were doing before but the most logical solution to me is:

- Manager focuses on man management, coaching and tactics (i.e. the next game)

- DoF focuses on infrastructure and long-term strategy

- And recruitment sits between them with both parties having a veto of any signings suggested by the other/Head of Recruitment

Edited by headsup
  • Like 3

Foyle? According to Wiki:

"Foyle was named as Head of Recruitment at Northampton Town in February 2015. He went on to work as chief scout at Scottish Premiership club Motherwell the following year. Speaking in September 2019, "Well" scout Martin Corrigan credited Foyle with bringing a high calibre of players to Fir Park, calling him a "workaholic" with an encyclopedic knowledge of the English football's lower leagues. He returned to Northampton Town in his former role as Head of Recruitment in May 2021. He left Northampton Town in November 2021 to become Morecambe's Head of Recruitment. He left the role six months later. He joined Scottish Premiership side St Mirren as Head of Recruitment in June 2022."

An interesting possibility, given his expertise in recruitment, which is something we desperately need after the last three windows.

• Like 2