onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Synectics Sold

4 hours ago, Spunk Trumpet said:

He still remains the owner, 30 years on, to bring us our greatest memories, our highest ever league finish, our biggest transfer fee paid and our biggest transfer fee recouped.

Shush.

Actually Frank Huntbach was the chairman in 1931 when we had our highest league finish. Bell also made our biggest ever transfer fee by selling Ainsworth behind Rudge's back but hurrah for Bell and his biscuit tin I guess

Edited by Wrex
  • Like 1

Advert

49 minutes ago, Wrex said:

Actually Frank Huntbach was the chairman in 1931 when we had our highest league finish. Bell also made our biggest ever transfer fee by selling Ainsworth behind Rudge's back but hurrah for Bell and his biscuit tin I guess

Were there not only 3 divisions(or at least levels to the league system) in 1931 though and less 'league' clubs(2 third divisions that were the same level north and south)? I know it's splitting hairs and is historically our highest league finish but I always thinks it's difficult to compare the 2 eras(i.e1920s/30s to the 1990s) as there are a lot of variables.

15 hours ago, Killersrevenge44 said:

I would argue Dodds would fly into this team. And how about Richards...at least he regularly scored goals

Louie Dodds never nailed down a shirt for all the years he was there (potential) 🙄.but I admit he would fly into this team now 💩

11 hours ago, LancyTony said:

No ambition! The season we almost made the playoffs for the top League, I wrote to Rudgie saying I hoped we'd strengthen the squad during the Summer, for a proper push. Rudgie replied saying he thought we would end up selling some players instead - we did, and we know what happened!

Billy Bell had to succumb to the laws of economics, just as the Shanahans are having to do. Although football is unlike any other business, at the end of the day, (and sadly for many fans) the books have to be balanced.  If not, the business (football club) goes under.

Just look at the number of clubs, large & small in all divisions of the Premiership/EFL struggling with finances and receiving points deductions and criticism from fans.  Who'd be a football club owner eh?!

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Shropshire_Valiant said:

Were there not only 3 divisions(or at least levels to the league system) in 1931 though and less 'league' clubs(2 third divisions that were the same level north and south)? I know it's splitting hairs and is historically our highest league finish but I always thinks it's difficult to compare the 2 eras(i.e1920s/30s to the 1990s) as there are a lot of variables.

1930/31 there were 4 Divisions, 1, 2 , 3S & 3N. 22 teams in each.  Vale finished 5th in Div2 , so the 27th team in the English League. Nowadays a team finishing 5th in the Championship would be ranked 25th.

• Like 1

The point I'm making though is how do you rank the teams in Division 3 N & S as above or below each other?🤔  So technically is it not 27th out of 66 in 1931(although there were 88 league clubs).  Whereas our 8th place finish in 1996/97 was 28/92.

Like I say it's splitting hairs in one sense as they were very different eras each with their own pros and cons(I don't think all the teams were pro. in the 30s as one example, maybe Division 1 but after that?).  It's also difficult to know what the strength of the Vale team was in the late 20s/early 30s compared to those of the 50s and 90s. 

1 hour ago, Shropshire_Valiant said:

Well the Third Division was split into North and South at the time, with the Fourth Division only being created in 1958 so it is slightly misleading to say we're only ever spent 23 seasons in the fourth tier as that's 23 of 66 seasons.

But I digress, the Second Division was nationwide and we finished fifth in it in 1931. I guess there were 22 teams in the First Division at the time rather than 20 as there is in the Premier League, but even accounting for that then it is still a superior finish then eighth in 1997-98.

12 minutes ago, Shropshire_Valiant said:

The point I'm making though is how do you rank the teams in Division 3 N & S as above or below each other?🤔  So technically is it not 27th out of 66 in 1931(although there were 88 league clubs).  Whereas our 8th place finish in 1996/97 was 28/92.

Like I say it's splitting hairs in one sense as they were very different eras each with their own pros and cons(I don't think all the teams were pro. in the 30s as one example, maybe Division 1 but after that?).  It's also difficult to know what the strength of the Vale team was in the late 20s/early 30s compared to those of the 50s and 90s. 

The Vale were in the 2nd Division so ranking of teams in the 3rd Divisions did not affect them. The point was the highest league position counting from the top. If 3 results had gone the other way Vale would have played in the highest league in the land. As for comparison of teams, the 30/31 team was my father`s favourite over the 54 side and of a higher standard. The 54 was my favourite, but obviously the 90s were a higher standard. Overall the type of football changes over the years, as does the relative wealth of clubs in the English Leagues.