onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Lincoln City (H) match thread - 24th Feb

robf

Advert

18 minutes ago, Splodger said:

I'll be happy with a bore draw against Lincoln then win against Fleetwood on Tuesday 🤞... KEEP THE FAITH..UTV .VTID

Back to back home wins incoming 🤩

Clark - best wide defender

Garrity - starting 11 attacking midfielder

Gore - the only player who can offer anything like what Arblaster did

I really think the speed at which they can go through the process of starting, getting fully fit and giving full 90 minutes will define where we end up.

3 hours ago, Vtid said:

I fancy a scrappy win mate 👍🏻 1-0 James Wilson ️ 

Definitely, an early goal any which way and then just stay solid. As you say, a horrible 1-0 slog.

The most unfortunate part of all this is 4 of Moore's first 5 games come against teams who are bang in-form.

Over the last 6 games, Cheltenham are 9th, Reading are 6th, Lincoln are 4th, and Derby are 2nd. Even Fleetwood are an improved 14th.

The stark reality is we simply have to win on Tuesday night, and ideally avoid defeat tomorrow. Two more defeats in the next two are, barring a miracle, we're finished.

4 points would leave us still needing 5 wins (or 4 wins + 4 draws) , and you'd identify Northampton, Shrewsbury, Burton, Cambridge, and Exeter to provide it. Orient, Gas, and Wigan could throw up a surprise. Oxford and Posh are on the slide, but I don't think we have anywhere near enough quality to beat them.

It's pretty bleak. Having lost 30 in 53, we're a football club not used to winning and lacking any form of momentum and positive morale. Moore has next to no time to change things tactically, and we're effectively pinning our hopes on Garrity and Clark immediately playing at their best, and staying fit. Any free agents are going to be extremely unfit and probably not contributing until April. Loft hasn't scored a league goal in 15 months. Wilson has never bested 4 goals at League 1 level and is not in good form.

Of the teams circling the drain, you'd argue it's between us, Cheltenham, Charlton, and Shrewsbury for 2 places. Cambridge are one to keep an eye on now Harris has left.

Cheltenham having been playing at a mid-table level for months and will be fine. For me, it's a battle between us, Charlton, and Shrewsbury, with only one survivor. Shrewsbury are putrid, and have been all season, and the atmosphere at Charlton is pretty bad. Jones is a good manager, but can combust in the wrong environment. 

Trying to look at it rationally, I think we'll go down by a couple of points. We simply don't create anywhere near enough, don't score enough, and defensively are an absolute circus. We have been an awful League 1 team since January 2023 - this isn't a blip, but the level the club is operating at. We are being run more poorly than 23 other clubs. Moore won't be afforded the time to structurally change stuff. He has got to lift a squad of players and a fanbase who are in a rut, a club that has fairly consistently been the worst performing in League 1 for over a year. I think Moore will improve things somewhat, but the job is simply too large and he's trying to reorient a ship that has been heading for an iceberg for over a year. The fans in the crow's nest have been sounding the alarm, but those in charge have refused to deviate course.

Tomorrow, Lincoln are in great form, with a varied strike-force and a watertight defence who have only shipped 3 goals in their last 7. Our last goal from open-play that wasn't an own goal was on January 6th. We're absolutely rubbish in pretty much every important bit of football. 

Despite all this, one win will shift everything. If we nick a win tomorrow, the whole outlook changes. We go into Tuesday looking to string consecutive wins, and will probably go into Derby out of the drop-zone ahead of an easier run of games. Garrity is playing and can score goals.

If we come out of Tuesday having picked up 2 points or less, then we can start the inquest, sack the man responsible, and begrudgingly plan for League 2 with a renewed focus on the average fan and providing wins for them on a regular basis - and not pretending to be Manchester City.

Head says we battle well, look a bit better, but lose 1-0, and we fall short of survival. Heart says that PVFC always do the exact opposite of what everyone expects. 

Press 'em high, get scrapping, INTO THESE.

I worked out last night we've only won 2 tuesday night league games since the promotion season, which is a bit of a poor do. Plymouth A and Blackpool H. We've only won 4 in total in the last 2 calender years. We need to get a result tomorrow but even if we don't I will put myself through the slog of going to the Fleetwood game afterwards because after losing to them, Cheltenham and Carlisle recently, it is one of the most must win games in the 148 year history of the club. We simply have to win, there is no other option. A result tomorrow is what we need to set us up for it.

14 minutes ago, Rory said:

1-1. A terrible game of Mooreball but another point on the board is my prediction. 

I hope I am wrong and hope that we destroy the imps.

Come on Port Vale!

Rory - your luv in with DM is already approaching the levels of RZs bromance with DC 😍😍😍😍😍

Archived