onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Flitcroft simple vote...

Aguar61

52 minutes ago, robf said:

Aren't they? I'd say a portion of fans aren't online but "most" is a big claim. I reckon between this forum, Twitter and the Facebook groups there's probably comfortably well over half the fanbase. Just look at the numbers... not everyone is active but this site has 5,750 registered members, the official Twitter account is followed by 90k followers, Unofficial Vale by 5k... I don't use Facebook so no idea what those pages get. The comments on the Valiants newsletter broadly echo those on here. Clearly not all of those numbers are active Vale fans or Vale fans but I reckon it's more likely that we have more Vale fans actively online somewhere than not. 

And erm... that's backed up by the fact the club announce things online... signings, ticket prices, news is all online and the chief medium for doing so is social media via the club's Twitter account. Would there not be masses complaints from the "majority" of fans not on social media about the club announcing things on Twitter if that were the case? 

Anyway, even if that's not the case... was it just the "minority" of online Vale fans chanting Flitcroft out at games? Didn't sound like it to me. 

I see this site and other online places as like election polls. They are not the complete fanbase but I do think they give a really good indication of the views of the fanbase. Certainly over the years the majority views on here about previous owners, protests and the like have been usually reflected at games. I think OVF is a decent barometer. It's never 100% correct (what is) but the prevailing mood on here is normally there or there abouts. 

I also think the views on here are so clearly massively against the Flitcroft appointment that even if there is some skew, it would take a heck of a change of views between online and offline Valiants to make a difference. After all we're not talking a split vote - all the polls and the like on here say around eight out of ten fans think he should go. That's going take a heck of a swing from offline fans to change the overall view.

I'd be interested to know how many OVF users casted a vote on the recent poll that had many people concluding that 85% of the fan base wanted flitcroft out?

I think its fair to say that those who want flitcroft out are generally more vociferous and active on social media as they want to vent their frustration.

Plenty of fans like myself (because I speak to them) think flitcroft has a lot to answer for but don't have a personal vendetta against the guy and don't want to see things get ugly so choose not to add more fuel to the fire. As for the black and gold stuff; how flitcroft can be compared to that lot is bordering on hysterical.

Like I've said in previous posts, if you want flitcroft out, dont buy a season ticket until he's gone. If enough decide to do that then the club will have little choice but I cant support the growing hate campaign.

Advert

11 hours ago, JoeB2 said:

Fundamentally it is all on Carol.

She didn't have to appoint him.

She didn't have to give him full control when working part-time.

She didn't have to go along with all the silly infrastructure stuff.

She didn't have to sack anyone with any degree of football experience and replace them with family and friends.

She didn't have to appoint Crosby without speaking to anyone else.

She didn't have to stick by Flitcroft as he continued to balls up windows.

She didn't have to choose to side with Flitcroft over the fans when they started to raise concerns.

She didn't have to belittle the fans who were worried.

She didn't have to keep employing a DoF responsible for 11 wins in 53.

Sorry, we can discuss the flaws of the DoF all night, but bucks stops with the decision-maker at the top. Carol has caused all this through conscious, bad decisions she's made which has been driven by a resentment of the average fan. 

And put the club in debt to the tune of c 10M, unless of course this is written off by the lender.

Her self and Flickers have made their bed, they have to lie in it, as the saying goes.

24 minutes ago, Stockleys_socks said:

I'd be interested to know how many OVF users casted a vote on the recent poll that had many people concluding that 85% of the fan base wanted flitcroft out?

That statement wasn't made. I used that result in an article and it was "83% of fans polled" never "83% of the fanbase". This is the article and headline...

Screenshot2024-02-21105324.thumb.png.1bdb2240e4fa17c7023ee5cece6a45a9.png

I believe there may have been posts in here saying (incorrectly) it was "83% of the fanbase" but I don't believe I have written that. I am well aware that it was only a proportion of the fans.

So, just to be totally transparent. There were actually two votes on Flitcroft - one on the forum and one on the homepage. My results came from the homepage poll I put up. For total transparency that had 1,065 votes (as per this screengrab from the admin area):

Untitled.png.ebce8b03efeb14a851ab01c058243fde.png

I am well aware that number isn't the whole fanbase (which is why I have never claimed it was) but it's not a tiny number like 20 votes, I think over a thousand votes and an 83% result is a pretty decent indication of how the whole fanbase feels. 

EDIT: Oh and again for total transparency, just to add there were IP restrictions on the poll system I use to prevent someone voting loads of times. 

I hope that helps.

9 minutes ago, smithie said:

I can't imagine betting on your own team to lose but that's probably just me.

Anyway we're at the stage now where the ONLY thing that matters is staying out of the bottom 4.  We simply don't have time or headspace as a club for recriminations, in-fighting or anything else. That can wait. ALL that matters right now is staying up.      

Smithie it’s not just you, I never back against Vale and I’m a gambler, but I do nt think any worse of my friends. If you want to talk about gambling against PVfC to the detriment of the club, isn’t this what our owner and him are doing but they’re doing it on a bigger scale. We all agree with you regarding relegation but as the games are slipping away and we’re losing to the teams around us unfortunately I feel the ending will be inevitable, this is the reality that we’re all seeing. The frustrating part is that we can see this but our only contribution is by supporting the club. Can you honestly say that you think the owners and him over the last four months and previous transfer windows has shown the same level of commitment shown by the fans. I hope I’m wrong, regarding relegation. We dodged it last year and should we avoid it this year then, what about next season. The fans will not tolerate spending their hard earned money on another season with the current hierarchy in charge of the club. The litmus test will be ST sales.

14 minutes ago, robf said:

That statement wasn't made. I used that result in an article and it was "83% of fans polled" never "83% of the fanbase". This is the article and headline...

Screenshot2024-02-21105324.thumb.png.1bdb2240e4fa17c7023ee5cece6a45a9.png

I believe there may have been posts in here saying (incorrectly) it was "83% of the fanbase" but I don't believe I have written that. I am well aware that it was only a proportion of the fans.

So, just to be totally transparent. There were actually two votes on Flitcroft - one on the forum and one on the homepage. My results came from the homepage poll I put up. For total transparency that had 1,065 votes (as per this screengrab from the admin area):

Untitled.png.ebce8b03efeb14a851ab01c058243fde.png

I am well aware that number isn't the whole fanbase (which is why I have never claimed it was) but it's not a tiny number like 20 votes, I think over a thousand votes and an 83% result is a pretty decent indication of how the whole fanbase feels. 

EDIT: Oh and again for total transparency, just to add there were IP restrictions on the poll system I use to prevent someone voting loads of times. 

I hope that helps.

Thanks, I had not read that article but you can see how some fans would pick up on the 83% and use that figure without qualifying. I wasn't suggesting that you had done that.

My previous point still stands that 1,000 is still only about 10-20% of the 'interested' fan base and those that do vote are the ones that feel most strongly about it; those that are not necessarily calling for flitcroft's head probably still on the fence. 

35 minutes ago, smithie said:
1 hour ago, smithie said:

I certainly didn't feel distant from the owner when she talked of getting "Championship ready". I found it refreshing that someone wanted to think bigger and stop being little Port Vale. As has been explained countless times, the talk of being Championship ready was simply focusing on how the club could and would look if we were serious about one day getting there. To me it speaks volumes about so many Vale fans that, rather than be enthused by the ambition they would rather belittle it and use it for years afterwards as a way of ridiculing the owner.

I certainly think money has been spent in the wrong areas and CS is a different person from 2 years ago - but then I think I would be if I got the abuse and disrespect she's had.    

Here we go. Another simpleton who blames the fans for everything wrong at the club. Carol hasn't been "abused" by anyone. What she has been is rightly criticised and questioned for her awful decision making and choices over the last couple of seasons. She was lavished with praise when we were promoted. Like everyone else in life you have to take the rough with the smooth sometimes. We all get praised when we do something good or right. We get criticised and called out when we don't. I think that's pretty fair.

And her Championship statement wasn't anything to do with showing ambition. It was from a lady that doesn't understand how to run a football club for all of her best intentions, trying to run before she can walk. We're about to be relegated to League Two because of HER bad decisions.

4 minutes ago, Stockleys_socks said:

Thanks, I had not read that article but you can see how some fans would pick up on the 83% and use that figure without qualifying. I wasn't suggesting that you had done that.

No problem and I'm always happy to be transparent on here. 

I always try and be clear that while OVF clearly is never the whole fanbase I still think (to paraphrase Barry Aussie Rules) a wide church. The very fact you disagree with what clearly appears to be the majority decision on there shows that. 

I think OVF is always a good barometer of what the fans feel and the fact there's a majority view in itself clearly doesn't mean it's right. I happen to personally agree with the majority after three transfer window failures but I respect anyone's right to disagree with me and I also realise it's my opinion not a concrete, non-debatable fact. I think we all have the good of the club to heart and we differ in our ways we think the club can get better. 

I think this is a roundabout way of saying I think your view gives balance and legitimacy to the fact that OVF carries a fair range of opinions and viewpoints from fans in all sorts of different situations - local fans, exiled fans, fans abroad, regular attendees, less regular ones and so on.

It's for that reason I think OVF is an indicator of the fanbase but certainly never the whole fanbase.

14 minutes ago, Valiiant said:

Here we go. Another simpleton who blames the fans for everything wrong at the club. Carol hasn't been "abused" by anyone. What she has been is rightly criticised and questioned for her awful decision making and choices over the last couple of seasons. She was lavished with praise when we were promoted. Like everyone else in life you have to take the rough with the smooth sometimes. We all get praised when we do something good or right. We get criticised and called out when we don't. I think that's pretty fair.

And her Championship statement wasn't anything to do with showing ambition. It was from a lady that doesn't understand how to run a football club for all of her best intentions, trying to run before she can walk. We're about to be relegated to League Two because of HER bad decisions.

By all means disagree with my posts and opinions. There's no need for name-calling though.

1 hour ago, Stockleys_socks said:

those that are not necessarily calling for flitcroft's head [by voting on an OVF poll] probably still on the fence. 

That's not how it works. If it makes you feel warm and fuzzy though.

Remember our mantra in the summer we were wanted to be more physical, fitter, faster players... our recruitment policy hinged on these types of signings hence why we let players like pett worral go... we wanted to have more legs in the team. Weve ended up with slower weaker players who cant get around the pitch. All that good amazing recruitment work all the research done... nobody works harder. So how come with all this hard work we ended up with this pathetic excuse of a team...but do not forget the amazing work that he has done bringing in academy players into the team that are nowhere near ready and wouldnt of played a single minute for any other team in the whole league. And anyone of us could of done as dof by saying the simple words of 'play some youngsters to make us look good' . 

2 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Remember our mantra in the summer we were wanted to be more physical, fitter, faster players... our recruitment policy hinged on these types of signings hence why we let players like pett worral go... we wanted to have more legs in the team. Weve ended up with slower weaker players who cant get around the pitch. All that good amazing recruitment work all the research done... nobody works harder. So how come with all this hard work we ended up with this pathetic excuse of a team...but do not forget the amazing work that he has done bringing in academy players into the team that are nowhere near ready and wouldnt of played a single minute for any other team in the whole league. And anyone of us could of done as dof by saying the simple words of 'play some youngsters to make us look good' . 

Lets also not forget about how we learnt from last January... mistakes were made but we learnt from them...oh and also 90% of the fanbase could of told you that appointing crosby was a mistake and it shouldnt of be done... oh and that we could all see that it wasnt working months and months ago and he should of been fired way before December... its alright tho guys our dof works really hard and does so much good for the club dont worry about his footballing decision because he made the pitch better which anyone with any ounce of knowledge could of organised to happen.

Archived