Advert

David Flitcroft Out

Flitcroft out?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Should David Flitcroft go?

• Yes
    • No

Advert

I have listened to the podcast but to be honest I didn't need too. It's the same script we've heard at every fans forum:

"big picture"
"campus"
"really enthused by the project at the club"
"went after half a million really top level players, but for some unknown reason they don't want to play for a team 4th bottom of the league with a pe teacher in charge"
"it's a process of getting better, despite us getting worse yes on year"

The personal abuse is poor, especially the twitter stuff. If they are coming on ovf then like hobblesworth says they need looking at.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Granville said:

All very well and good, however, both Bowers and Baggaley have said they have asked to interview him multiple times over the past week and have been left hanging, yet he miraculously appears on an in house podcast! 

It smacks of avoiding the media in case he doesn't have prepared answers for questions he's seen in advance. 

It also takes the sting out of anything they do now, because people won't read/listen to it because they'll assume its the same as this.

I'm all for external scrutiny whether it be fan forums or press interviews rather than a cosy in house piece where Flitcroft can control what's said and what isn't. 

I also find it interesting he's stuck his head above the parapet now rather than when, as Radio Stoke and The Sentinel/Valiant have said, he was asked last week when there would have undoubtedly been far more negatives than positives.

I agree he does require external scrutiny however to be very very fair to the club and Flitcrofft Dan asked questions which I felt were very representative of criticism and concerns of fans on here and also on socials. Dan even seeked clarification at times  on those answers.

Yes it was cozy and the abuse stuff was a little over the top because Flitcroft just waffles at times but you know I very much doubt Baggers or Bowers would have been as direct with the questioning and kept Flitcroft on track as much as Dan did because he has a relationship with him which clearly helped the interview.

Everyone can judge the answers for themselves but it was a very open and honest interview.

Well done Port Vale, Dan Townley and Dave Flitcroft.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Maybe that reliance wasn’t so much down to AC as club policy is well known, to go out and get top young players in on loan as well as promoting our own youth wherever possible.  Also, there have been times where we’ve had no choice but to rely on youth players due to injuries.  Not suggesting AC was totally faultless by the way.  He was new to management but so was even the most successful manager at some point, they all have to start somewhere.  I can’t get my head round the idea the a good coach can’t become a good manager, which was one of the things thrown at Crosby from day one.  It may not have worked out for him but plenty of others have made the transition from coach or assistant manager.

Keiran McKenna at Ipswich a prime example

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Granville said:

All very well and good, however, both Bowers and Baggaley have said they have asked to interview him multiple times over the past week and have been left hanging, yet he miraculously appears on an in house podcast! 

It smacks of avoiding the media in case he doesn't have prepared answers for questions he's seen in advance. 

It also takes the sting out of anything they do now, because people won't read/listen to it because they'll assume its the same as this.

I'm all for external scrutiny whether it be fan forums or press interviews rather than a cosy in house piece where Flitcroft can control what's said and what isn't. 

I also find it interesting he's stuck his head above the parapet now rather than when, as Radio Stoke and The Sentinel/Valiant have said, he was asked last week when there would have undoubtedly been far more negatives than positives.

This was addressed on the podcast, he also not long before Crosbys sacking did interviews with them and answered all questions directed at him at the fans forums and previously done the Ale and Vale podcast, personally I don't think he is someone who is trying to 'avoid the media'.

As he also said he's also happy to talk to anyone.

As this is his first time as DOF perhaps fans need to cut him some slack or speak to him in person to better understand both sides, after all we are all human and no one is perfect.

Edited by Mr Brightside
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

I have listened to the podcast but to be honest I didn't need too. It's the same script we've heard at every fans forum:

"big picture"
"campus"
"went after half a million really top level players, but for some unknown reason they don't want to play for a team 4th bottom of the league with a pe teacher in charge"

The personal abuse is poor, especially the twitter stuff. If they are coming on ovf then like hobblesworth says they need looking at.

Not sure you understand what quotation marks are for. 
worse year on year? Which years were they? 

• Like 1

To be fair to Flitcroft, he is not on the pitch. So some blame has to go on the players. 

Confidence is a massive thing and hopefully DM will boost that.

Re DF again yeah we did need that forward/poacher player, maybe we pick one up in the summer, too late? who knows, but bickering and negativity. Well there is only one way and it is not forward.

So Carol and Kevin do the finances, DF does whatever, hopefully Darren and the players do what any football fan wants and play for the club professionally.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Granville said:

Perhaps he was too busy sorting out the deal to bring Darren Moore to the club? Slightly more important than a cosy little chat with Phil or Mike. 

• Like 5

I listened to the Flitcroft podcast and thought it was a really good listen.

But then him being a really good listen isnt really in doubt.

By the end of it i did find myself thinking i'd been hasty.

But its so difficult with him.

He touched on the club maybe not communicating the plan enough.  I thought he was over complicating that.  We just wanted to know why, after two windows this season, we are facing the second half of the season (fighting for survival) with no striker coming in.

I feel like an idiot repeating myself on the striking situatio but, since we were promoted, we've signed matt taylor, loft and resigned willo in four windows.  Uche as well as a desperado signing.

Its farcical, not just unfortunate.

He talks a great game does Dave and i always end up liking him after listening to him.

Hes pulled what appears to be a cracking managerial appointment out the bag.  One that I'm very happy and excited about.

But I'm still not convinced we're going to be safe.  If the Gayle rumour turns out to be true then great.  My concern with him is he's broken.  According my stoke mates he literally cannot move.  We'd have to buck our ideas up and create some serious clear chances there.

I want it all to come to fruition, really do.

There is very good reason for folk being sceptical though.

Make it happen though Dave and you'll be a great in my eyes.

Made me realise again as well how carried away in our passion we can get as supporters again.  People are human and some of the stuff we are all capable of coming out with is way too much.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, eh up nah said:

I listened to the Flitcroft podcast and thought it was a really good listen.

But then him being a really good listen isnt really in doubt.

By the end of it i did find myself thinking i'd been hasty.

But its so difficult with him.

He touched on the club maybe not communicating the plan enough.  I thought he was over complicating that.  We just wanted to know why, after two windows this season, we are facing the second half of the season (fighting for survival) with no striker coming in.

I feel like an idiot repeating myself on the striking situatio but, since we were promoted, we've signed matt taylor, loft and resigned willo in four windows.  Uche as well as a desperado signing.

Its farcical, not just unfortunate.

He talks a great game does Dave and i always end up liking him after listening to him.

Hes pulled what appears to be a cracking managerial appointment out the bag.  One that I'm very happy and excited about.

But I'm still not convinced we're going to be safe.  If the Gayle rumour turns out to be true then great.  My concern with him is he's broken.  According my stoke mates he literally cannot move.  We'd have to buck our ideas up and create some serious clear chances there.

I want it all to come to fruition, really do.

There is very good reason for folk being sceptical though.

Make it happen though Dave and you'll be a great in my eyes.

Made me realise again as well how carried away in our passion we can get as supporters again.  People are human and some of the stuff we are all capable of coming out with is way too much.

I think this is a great post & pretty much echo my thoughts. It's fair to be skeptical on his interview after recent goings on but after getting in Moore (in my opinion is a great coup) we have to take him at his word about efforts to get a striker in. Maybe if he had cleared this up sooner fans would hopefully have been a bit more understanding. Onwards & upwards and hopefully Moore can do the business and keep us up & then re-build for next season.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Walka003 said:

"big picture"
"campus"

I don't think any of what you put is incorrect. It just depends on whether you believe what he is saying.

I don't think any of us deny the top three statements do we?

We are all frustrated at the failure to sign a striker but he went into pretty clear detail (without revealing the names) as to why each one fell through. Personally, and you would only need to sit with me to know how anti Flitcroft I have been, I understood his frustrations right through to the deadline. He has to work to a budget but I think his biggest hurdle to overcome is Carol's 'dikhead' test as I suspect a fair few fail that!

Finally, I don't think we are getting worse year on year. We have risen from the ashes of bottom end of 4th division to currently bottom end of 3rd division. However, with the arrival of a new Manager (which Flitcroft played a big part in acquiring) and important players coming back from injury (possibly even a free agent striker too) we could well gain enough points to finish mid table which I would class as continuing the improvement.

I totally agree that the abuse is out of order and it was interesting that the potential abuse led to the club and the authorities advising against his appearing on the bench recently.

Without doubt I am not a fan of the (his) formation although I understand why it is being adopted.

Let's see how the next 4 games pan out. We could have done with them not being till March but hopefully there will be a new Manager bounce to see us gain 6 or more points in those 4 games.

UTV

Edited by andy jones

Yep listened just now. As a vocal critic of DF I am sorry to hear he has had abuse - no place for personal abuse - it's just a job.
Singing for him to get out of the club is a different thing - fans are entitled to their opinion.

Overall my feeling hasn't changed;

- Timing of the interview is interesting. Would we have got this podcast if we had hired a manager that the fans weren't happy about?
- We could have gambled on a PL2 player who DF thought might not be good enough - they would be better than a Dipepa surely?!?
- No mention of the left back
- All our striker options we blame the other club or the player - there is no acceptance that we are perhaps fishing in the wrong pool
- Long-term plans are great but short term we need to address the mistakes that have been made

- If we can afford Darren Moore now - who could we have got last summer when the club needed a reset?
- If we had let Crosby go after the Cheltenham game when it was painfully obvious he wasn't up to the job we would have had an opportunity to get more points on the board and the new manager's influence in the squad. The same pool of players available yes, but managers have a pull and also their own feelings of the kind of players we are missing.

I think he has done so good things and some bad things. Hiring a bad manager last summer and the overall transfer windows since being promoted to league one are enough for me to think someone else could do a better job in that position. 

• Like 8