onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Stevenage (H) match thread - 10th Feb

robf

2 minutes ago, Blaster The Master said:

Bar a mad 10 minutes I thought that was a decent performance against a top 6 side. First half we looked a different team to the one that’s played the last few games.

Lopata won everything in that first half and thought Mighten was lively when he came on.

Questionable pen decision but we’ll take them all day long - plenty have gone against us this season!

Lopata went off injured which is worrying & love to see Mighten start a game. There’s not many in this squad who want to run & take people on like him 

Advert

Much better work rate and a few tackles but we look a relegation team for me.

We can’t defend 1st and 2nd balls in the box which we’ve not been able to do all season and let’s be honest the only way we are going to score is a penalty or own goal.

Our game management was poor. Kaspar is injured we don’t ensure a replacement is in before Jones cones on, Chizzy sub was baffling ( unless injured), Wilo sub was strange. 

This may not look too shabby to any prospective managers looking in. We didn't give up, snatched a late point (which to me always feels like a win) and any manager worth his salt would be confident of improving our defending.

Much depends on our beloved DOF: given the dire straits we're in, if he's stupid enough not to let an incoming manager do what he needs to do to keep us up he's lost his marbles and deserves the order of the boot. And Carol, despite our apparent lack of funds, needs somehow to find the money from somewhere to get the right bloke in or it's goodnight L1.

But we're still in it and everything to play for despite the current table. 

Thought we were fine today. Shocking defending as per. Bit of battle at times. Didn't look like a penalty.

The heralded new pitch looks as bad as last year.

Manager on Monday please. Let them use the free hit at Posh to figure things out before the 6-points with Cheltenham, Reading, Fleetwood, and Shrews.

Pick up some wins in those 4 and we're absolutely sound.

5 minutes ago, Vtid said:

Lopata went off injured which is worrying & love to see Mighten start a game. There’s not many in this squad who want to run & take people on like him 

Fingers crossed lopata isn't too serious.  He was decent.

I like what I've seen of mighten, looks dangerous.  Kind of player you're worried a out when the opposition have one.

39 minutes ago, Osh said:

Why does Ripley NOT come for crosses. Twice in the last 10 mins Stevenage should have scored because he didn't come for the easy cross. 

A bloke his size. 

Ripley is nowhere near as good as often rated by Vale fans. He's just really good at engaging with the fans.

Reminds me of Scott Brown - makes a lot of decent saves but could probably prevent some of them by commanding his area better.

43 minutes ago, Valiiant said:

Yeah but they looked pretty <ovf censored>. Do every time I see them. Obviously they get the job done more often than not but I don't think they're exactly littered with good players.

They aren’t <ovf censored>, they are good at what they do and play to strengths of their players. It’s not pretty but effective football. 

It was obvious that Steve Evan’s spoke to the referee at half time. From being a decent and fair referee first half, he suddenly became one sided k**b. 
Before the last minute Vale could and should had a penalty. Mighten possibly dived a little but was definitely caught their player, and few minutes later Baylee was definitely pushed over in the box and although the goalkeeper made a good save the referee should have awarded a penalty.

3 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:

Ripley is nowhere near as good as often rated by Vale fans. He's just really good at engaging with the fans.

Reminds me of Scott Brown - makes a lot of decent saves but could probably prevent some of them by commanding his area better.

Could be a relegated keeper two seasons in a row at this rate 

I also thought that the two decisions that Vale fans were indignant about (Debrah off balance falling off the pitch and then tripping their player up, and Mighten getting bullied then pulling the player's arm in the middle) were spot on from the ref.

Thought he had a pretty good game, and then the liner gifted us a very contentious pen.

We didn't respond to the tactical change at half time. They were targeting the isolated left wing back Grant. 

We tried hard and showed promise. Reality is they missed good chances. But that team is competitive and has a decent dog in the race to stay up. 

30 minutes ago, Vtid said:

Mate he’s been awful recently.Running around is the bare minimum you’d expect, maybe his partnership with Uche is the reason as they were working well together but he hasn’t look interested last few games which isn’t good enough. If we was so good there would be a championship team gambling on him for the 10-15 games not vale. This is his level 

I thought he was v.good today 

10 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:

He’s a very good keeper as was Scott brown. We would be rock bottom without him. 

Happy with a point after being behind with 30 seconds to go but we need to start winning games and quickly.  Their first goal was down to Ripley, why he is not coming and claiming that ball, I have no idea, it's his ball all day long.  I would like see a replay of the penalty as at the time did not think it was.  Looking at the table I am getting more and more worried and fearing the worst.  I know we got 2 games in hand but if we lose at Peterborough and Charlton beat a poor Lincoln team, with the goal difference in effect we are 4 points off safety.  Team around us are getting results, Reading picked up massively, Cheltenham I don't know why but think they will get out of it, Burton and Exeter win again, Shrewsbury get a draw at Derby.  3 away games and we have to get a win from somewhere.

Archived