onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Reading (A) match thread - Jan 13th

robf

Advert

"Dreary and uninspiring" is rich coming from a club that play in a conference and events venue miles from anywhere. They are the epitome of the worst of English football - a drippy support, a soulless shell of a club. They probably invented the 50/50 scarf. They're in the same category as MK Dons and Brighton. They also have had paper clappers, and that's enough to want them relegated. 

21 minutes ago, smithie said:

"Dreary and uninspiring" is rich coming from a club that play in a conference and events venue miles from anywhere. They are the epitome of the worst of English football - a drippy support, a soulless shell of a club. They probably invented the 50/50 scarf. They're in the same category as MK Dons and Brighton. They also have had paper clappers, and that's enough to want them relegated. 

Reading is always the one I forget when I am doing the Sporcle name the 92!

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

Why would anyone pay that much for a League One club on the cusp of collapse?  It’s barely worth a couple of quid. 

Does it include their stadium? I would imagine the size and location (SE, fairly new, large capacity, hotel, by the motorway) makes it more valuable real estate than (with all due respect to Vale Park lovers) a near 75 year old ground, on a former open cast mine site with subsidence in Burslem? 

29 minutes ago, robf said:

Does it include their stadium? I would imagine the size and location (SE, fairly new, large capacity, hotel, by the motorway) makes it more valuable real estate than (with all due respect to Vale Park lovers) a near 75 year old ground, on a former open cast mine site with subsidence in Burslem? 

But what value does the stadium have unless planners allow change of use?  And where would Reading play then?

28 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

But what value does the stadium have unless planners allow change of use?  And where would Reading play then?

Doesn't have multiple uses within it like MK Dons for example? The issue is owners may want that asset to make money... the football club is then an expensive inconvenience.

Reading have punched above their weight for a couple of decades though, generally have spent much time rattling around our kind of level so is the stadium now a bit of a white elephant as well without top level football? 

They just need stability, an owner to give them that, similar to Bolton maybe where it will take going down again, getting a takeover and build for lower league football for a few seasons whilst they get back on their feet. Issue is you could sell it and have a Wigan scenario where they spend again, go up and then problems rise and 2 years later are in the same boat again (and repeat)

1 hour ago, smithie said:

They also made this song a few years back: 

3 minutes ago, Powerline said:

Hopefully if it gets abandoned we’ve taken the lead and they give us the 3 points so we don’t have to hold onto a lead for once

We will be 2-0 up, 5 minutes to go and they get it abandoned and you just know the EFL would order a replay if the game! (although when Oldham did it against Salford they "Abandoned" the game, fans went home and they played out the last 10 minutes after in secret and let everyone know the result once finished.

Going to be a difficult situation I imagine as looks as though their fans are going to really up the ante on the protests so we've got to do our jobs, be professional and what happens we will have to deal with as/if it occurs.

52 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Well it hosts gigs, has a hotel and has hosted a Rugby Union team so still a fair bit. 

I would imagine the Ricoh stadium still had value even when Coventry weren't playing there because it's a modern, multi-use stadium next to a major motorway. 

I would agree that the overall asking price is ridiculous. It's clearly mostly the current owner's asking price, but I would still argue that that modern stadium would add considerably more to the asking price then Vale stadium did to ours. 

No hate towards Reading for me, but if I had to name one club as uninspiring it would be Reading.

I hope they manage to save the club and they go on to do something inspirational 

19 minutes ago, robf said:

Well it hosts gigs, has a hotel and has hosted a Rugby Union team so still a fair bit. 

I would imagine the Ricoh stadium still had value even when Coventry weren't playing there because it's a modern, multi-use stadium next to a major motorway. 

I would agree that the overall asking price is ridiculous. It's clearly mostly the current owner's asking price, but I would still argue that that modern stadium would add considerably more to the asking price then Vale stadium did to ours. 

Correct, as the arena, which Mike Ashley bought without the club was £17 million. It included the club and conference event stuff too. £30m for Reading is mad, the club is worth about 50p. Basically Wycombe with a nicer ground.  

Archived