onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Wycombe (A) match thread - 23rd Dec

robf

Advert

Dreadful game of football between 2 awful sides.  We went trying to get a nil nil draw but due to them scoring we had to open up a bit and managed to score, don't think we would have bothered trying to score if it was not for us going behind.  I thought after last Saturday's performance, would go today, what a waste of money it was, the football is so boring to watch.  Forget the injuries, even with Ojo and Arblaster in, we are dire bar the occasional performance.  No wonder the home crowds are going down when we are playing like we are.  I think Ripley must have made more touches than any other player in league 1, the amount of times we go back to him is scary.  Make no mistake we did not deserve anything out of that.  For me it is not the position where we are in the league, it's not good but not a disaster, it's the style of football, it is painful to watch and for me we are in for shocking gates in the new year with Crosby in charge.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

Er, please leave Cambridge out of this. Since they changed their manager, they have won three and drawn one of their last four games. A totally different team by all accounts with a proper manager in charge. 

We've won 2 and drawn 1 out of our last 3. Just quoting the current league table. You might not like the football but thats where we are. Lots of times on here over the last couple of years there are people saying it is results that count - not performances. Can't pick and choose.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, PVP said:

Charlton away - fantastic away day

Reading home - decent performance

Blackpool away - good football, battled, unlucky not to get all 3 points

Oxford away - deserved win

Mansfield away - great night for the fans

Exeter away - battling performance - 3 points

Wigan home - best performance of the season so far 

Its not all bad, inconsistent maybe but not all bad.  We will continue to have bad days every team does, but we will also have goods days.  I think if we get a couple of proven strikers we will see a difference.  AC needs to be given a chance and also some better players in keys areas to see what he can really do or not do with this team.

Trouble is and I agree with you about those matches, except maybe Exeter which was an ugly win not at all entertaining, is that is 6 wins all season that have convincingly won games at League 1 level. Mansfield are a League 2 club and thank god we have players that could pull of a win there. 

Keep up that rate and it means relegation. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Gooders said:

We've won 2 and drawn 1 out of our last 3. Just quoting the current league table. You might not like the football but thats where we are. Lots of times on here over the last couple of years there are people saying it is results that count - not performances. Can't pick and choose.

You've completely missed the point: Cambridge were plummeting because they were playing badly and not scoring goals. Harris has completely changed this with 10 goals in four games and just three against - with the same players who are, arguably, a poorer squad than ours. It's been a sea change in style and performance and shows what a change in manager will do. They ain't going back to their old ways, that's for certain.

So their place in your hierarchy of mediocrity is completely misplaced. 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Vale Ball said:

But at home.....................

Sent from my SM-A217F using onevalefan mobile app

You don't need to tell me......the last times I saw us win at home in the league was August 12th!  I'm simply countering the narrative that says we're "dire/crap" etc. I thought we deserved more v Bolton, Posh and Derby but them's the breaks. 

7 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

You've completely missed the point: Cambridge were plummeting because they were playing badly and not scoring goals. Harris has completely changed this with 10 goals in four games and just three against - with the same players who are, arguably, a poorer squad than ours. It's been a sea change in style and performance and shows what a change in manager will do. They ain't going back to their old ways, that's for certain.

So their place in your hierarchy of mediocrity is completely misplaced. 

I haven't missed any point. I am just stating where we are at this point compared to other sides.

Having not renewed my ST this season for my own business reasons, I've been to less than half the games this season (but listened to every game and used Ifollow fully), and then paying £25 on the gate. I applaud the fans who attend each Home game and even more those who go away. My point is that I am now one of those supporters who are 50/50 as to how far I can logistically support the club. I just cannot, at the moment get behind the product on the pitch. The fans are being treated dreadfully by the standard on the pitch. Football is not rocket science. If you have shots at goal, some will go in. We are so far off this, with our tippy tappy, lack of responsibility playing out. No-one takes ownership of trying to drive forward. It's pass to each defender, who passes to each midfielder who passes direct back to Ripley who boots it forward which the other payers could have done, which invariably goes out, or goes too far, or becomes a heading duel which our non-striker's invariably dont win...
And repeat each and every time. There is nothing on the pitch which entices people like me to come and pay the maximum to watch. I know v Boro people were saying that 2/3 of those watching will never come back. Sadly I think they're right. There has to be change, whether that is with this manager or not. The DF model is not working, as there is no evidence of this being seen or explained from the club. The only positive is the Academy staff bringing these fab young and raw players through. They are being let down though by their senior mentors, role models and first team players and coaches.

• Like 6