onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January Transfers and Rumours

werstayinup

3 minutes ago, JohnDoe said:

And it’s Wilson so he could break down tomorrow, and leave us with a 16 year old. Im not sure why you’re trying so hard to tell me Wilson isnt injured right now. I know that. Added to that is the act hes no a number 9 striker, which we currently dont have. 

Yes we do. Loft is a number 9 type striker. Wait for the the standard speel of criticism. Yawn.

• Like 1

Advert

The Flitcroft podcast is fascinating, especially the January bit.

He rattles off loads of strikers details (no names but little clues) we were after and why we didn’t get them.

Here are his comments and my GUESS as to who they might have been.

Premier league player who had scored a lot of goals in league 2 who was our main target but he went somewhere 45 mins from where he lives - Joe Taylor went to Lincoln from Luton and had scored 11 for Colchester on loan

Player we had everything agreed and at the last minute they asked for an astronomical loan fee - ??

Prem player on loan somewhere else who we wanted to buy, but couldn’t get him out of his loan - Dale Taylor

Loan player from Arsenal who was up in Scotland but got another offer overseas which was above league 1 level - Mike Biereth was at Motherwell on loan from Arsenal and went to Sturm Gratz

We were completely outbid for someone by one of the big hitters in league 2 - Jack Marriot to Wrexham 

Championship Striker - “everyone knows what happened on deadline day” - money was all agreed but his club didn’t get anyone across the line so wouldn’t release him - Michael Smith from Wednesday

Championship player the fans would love, we have tracked his for 12 months. He wanted to come but they wouldnt sell him and he has only played 6 mins in the championship so far - ??? Frustratingly I can’t figure anyone out despite trawling late substitutions in the championship - Flitcroft says we will go back for him in the summer 

Championship striker who was exceptional in league 1 who we chased right to the end but it slipped by as they didn’t want to release him because they didn’t get their player and he hasn’t played much since - ???

Best Striker in league 2 - made a big bid but the player wants to try his chances in the championship for his next move - Jake Young 

He also said we are talking to out of contract players and some from overseas who could play here after Jan.

Edited by Iron Curtain
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

He also says that he never interferes with tactics or formations… and you can ask DC and AC and if they say otherwise it’s not true. 

So do we presume it’s the manager who is choosing tactics and formations and DF and his team look to bring in players to suit that tactic / formation.

3 minutes ago, jeffers said:

So do we presume it’s the manager who is choosing tactics and formations and DF and his team look to bring in players to suit that tactic / formation.

That’s how it usually works with a DOF, personally I have never bought the idea that DF is picking the side, makes no sense to me 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Warren said:

Yes we do. Loft is a number 9 type striker. Wait for the the standard speel of criticism. Yawn.

Who (as well as being barely national league level) was injured for the last match. Jesus wept warren, if you think we dont need a striker there nothing i can say. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brian Johnson said:

Apologies. I got his wages wrong. Its actually £60k a week he was on with Stoke only paying £20k towards it

Gayle joined Championship side Stoke on a free transfer in the summer, but Newcastle are still paying most of his salary. It's thought the Toon are forking out around £40,000-a-week to ensure the former Crystal Palace striker, 32, is remunerated as agreed.

Huge money. But regardless of if he likes it or not, he won’t be going higher than League 1 for his next move unless he decides to go to some minor foreign league for money. 

I think if we could offer him £6k per week to end of the season that would be fair. Still a huge wage for us mind. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brian Johnson said:

Apologies. I got his wages wrong. Its actually £60k a week he was on with Stoke only paying £20k towards it

Gayle joined Championship side Stoke on a free transfer in the summer, but Newcastle are still paying most of his salary. It's thought the Toon are forking out around £40,000-a-week to ensure the former Crystal Palace striker, 32, is remunerated as agreed.

I think Newcastle only paid him for the one season he had remaining on his contract when he signed for Stoke. This season he's had to survive on his Stoke wage.

Huge money. But regardless of if he likes it or not, he won’t be going higher than League 1 for his next move unless he decides to go to some minor foreign league for money. 

I think if we could offer him £6k per week to end of the season that would be fair. Still a huge wage for us mind. 
He has just had his contract terminated, presumably by Stoke and Newcastle. That must mean one hell of a payout. So he does not need money, let's hope he wants to enjoy his football one last time!

8 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

The Flitcroft podcast is fascinating, especially the January bit.

He rattles off loads of strikers details (no names but little clues) we were after and why we didn’t get them.

Here are his comments and my GUESS as to who they might have been.

Premier league player who had scored a lot of goals in league 2 who was our main target but he went somewhere 45 mins from where he lives - Joe Taylor went to Lincoln from Luton and had scored 11 for Colchester on loan

Player we had everything agreed and at the last minute they asked for an astronomical loan fee - ??

Prem player on loan somewhere else who we wanted to buy, but couldn’t get him out of his loan - Dale Taylor

Loan player from Arsenal who was up in Scotland but got another offer overseas which was above league 1 level - Mike Biereth was at Motherwell on loan from Arsenal and went to Sturm Gratz

We were completely outbid for someone by one of the big hitters in league 2 - Jack Marriot to Wrexham 

Championship Striker - “everyone knows what happened on deadline day” - money was all agreed but his club didn’t get anyone across the line so wouldn’t release him - Michael Smith from Wednesday

Championship player the fans would love, we have tracked his for 12 months. He wanted to come but they wouldnt sell him and he has only played 6 mins in the championship so far - ??? Frustratingly I can’t figure anyone out despite trawling late substitutions in the championship - Flitcroft says we will go back for him in the summer 

Championship striker who was exceptional in league 1 who we chased right to the end but it slipped by as they didn’t want to release him because they didn’t get their player and he hasn’t played much since - ???

Best Striker in league 2 - made a big bid but the player wants to try his chances in the championship for his next move - Jake Young 

He also said we are talking to out of contract players and some from overseas who could play here after Jan.

Great work!

The only player I can see that's played 6 minutes in the Champ is Joey Phuthi from Sheff Wed.

https://fbref.com/en/comps/10/playingtime/Championship-Stats#all_stats_playing_time

"Exceptional in L1" to me would mean they've appeared high on the top L1 goalscorer charts over the past few seasons. The only realistic player I can see would be Lee Gregory, who wasn't named in the 25 man squad for Wednesday since the transfer window.

1 minute ago, JRC said:

I think Newcastle only paid him for the one season he had remaining on his contract when he signed for Stoke. This season he's had to survive on his Stoke wage.

It was quite common knowledge and reported at the time that Newcastle agreed to top his wages for the length of his Stoke contract

12 hours ago, Walka003 said:

Conor Wickham would be way ahead of Gayle in my list. Scored a good amount for a shocking team in this league last year. Gayle hasn't scored for at least a year, and was rumoured to be on 40k at stoke. Even at a 10th of that we'd be killing our budget for a player who hasn't done it for a long while.

Granted, anyone's better than no one at this point.

Connor Wickham hasn't played a game for 9 months. By the time he's properly match fit we'll either be relegated or safe.