onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January Transfers and Rumours

werstayinup

5 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Some of you might be interested in this. 

IMG_7997.jpeg

I emailed the History Club to make them aware of Bratt's history and they were very dismissive.

They seemed to think he'd have loads of Rudgey stories - I had to make them aware that Bratt took over after Rudge had left the club.

• Thanks 1

Advert

2 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:

I emailed the History Club to make them aware of Bratt's history and they were very dismissive.

They seemed to think he'd have loads of Rudgey stories - I had to make them aware that Bratt took over after Rudge had left the club.

😂😂 Looks like they have got him mixed up with Bill Bell.

We should all email them to let them know what type of person they have got coming

1 minute ago, Brian Johnson said:

😂😂 Looks like they have got him mixed up with Bill Bell.

We should all email them to let them know what type of person they have got coming

In fairness, Smurthwaite was in regular contact with Bell after his death, so maybe the History Club have got him in as a medium for the evening.

• Haha 7

45 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:

As posted on the relegation watch thread, I think this window raises broader questions as to the value that Flitcroft is bringing currently.

I'm in favour of the DoF model - I'd happily see us appoint another one if 'Flickers' were to go.

Since he's come in, I'm not sure we've ever massively overachieved our budgetary constraints - using average attendance as a very rough measure (which I accept ignores the likes of Salford), we've never really finish above our average attendance position - finishing 5th with the 4th highest attendance in 21/22, and 18th with the 14th in 22/23. We're currently 20th with the 15th.

DoFs are supposed to bring stability, a continuity of a style of play, and long-term planning in recruitment, yet we've signed 50+ players in less than 3 years, have radically (and perhaps unsuccessfully) changed playing style, and have faffed about on deadline day for the 2nd year in a row and missed out on the DoF's own publicly stated targets - and that's ignoring the clear mistake with Williams.

I saw that Barnsley appointed their first Sporting Director (same as DoF), and they were assisted by MRKT Insights in the process (who consult with us). They had 300 applicants. We'd get similar amounts if we advertised for a new DoF.

I did need to reflect before I said all this. We get locked up in the players signed and focus on the ones who have been unsuccessful. We also don't give credit for how hard it is to sign players who are good at our level. 

Food for thought, in my view. It's inarguable that Flitcroft has been bad for PVFC, but is he the best we can get in his role? Recent evidence suggests probably not.

If Flitcroft left PV tomorrow. He'd point to being behind a promotion, establishing a young player structure that has brought many players through to the first team and resulted in many players being sold on to big clubs and having a team establish itself in L1. His reputation is at risk if relegation occurs. I don't think it will, but I think the manager Crosby keeps going across the cliff edge too often. The club is massively in a better place than the Smurthwaite years and Flitcroft has been important in that.

Edited by Warren
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, JoeB2 said:

As posted on the relegation watch thread, I think this window raises broader questions as to the value that Flitcroft is bringing currently.

I'm in favour of the DoF model - I'd happily see us appoint another one if 'Flickers' were to go.

Since he's come in, I'm not sure we've ever massively overachieved our budgetary constraints - using average attendance as a very rough measure (which I accept ignores the likes of Salford), we've never really finish above our average attendance position - finishing 5th with the 4th highest attendance in 21/22, and 18th with the 14th in 22/23. We're currently 20th with the 15th.

DoFs are supposed to bring stability, a continuity of a style of play, and long-term planning in recruitment, yet we've signed 50+ players in less than 3 years, have radically (and perhaps unsuccessfully) changed playing style, and have faffed about on deadline day for the 2nd year in a row and missed out on the DoF's own publicly stated targets - and that's ignoring the clear due diligence mistake with Williams.

I saw that Barnsley appointed their first Sporting Director (same as DoF), and they were assisted by MRKT Insights in the process (who consult with us). They had 300 applicants, with the final shortlist of 10 being 'exceptionally talented'. We'd get similar amounts if we advertised for a new DoF.

Food for thought, in my view. It's inarguable that Flitcroft has been bad for PVFC, but is he the best we can get in his role? Recent evidence suggests probably not.

Obviously this comes a week after I posted a list of positives about the club, and I stand by them, but this window has been such a mess it's led me to question how much control they've really got.

Great post. I'm starting to think this way too.

The DoF model can work and would be very good for us in terms of recruitment - DoF focuses on getting quality players in + Head Coach manages the players and the games.

I was hoping for a raft of carefully scouted, astute signings - players that other clubs have overlooked (like Garrity), that would come in with a low/zero reputation and flourish.

I'd probably say out of those 50+ players we've signed under Flitcroft, maybe 10-15 or so have been a success?

I see Ephron Mason-Clark was sold to Coventry by Peterborough the other day for £4m. I know they are masters at it, but his record before Posh was hardly inspiring, yet they were able to see something and develop him into a £4m player!

This forum would have had a meltdown if we'd signed him based on his record!

image.png.dce21faab7ecf9f761c06bbac70609ff.png

• Like 1

Who are those free transfer players without a club 

Connor Wickham 

Dwight Gayle 

Who else as if Vale want to make things right they have to add one of these especially if it's true they didn't get paperwork done on time which looks like was the case as everyone was high fiving as thought deal had gone through .

Would I take Gayle of course I would just needs get his goalscoring touch back ,he does well in  Black and White .

As for Wickham he as a certain excellence about him .

Think someone mentioned more Gsry Madine springs to mind and two others let's bring all to ground and see who wants it the most 

UTV 

4 hours ago, Bede said:

If we get relegated we will have endured similar on the pitch performance, with ground facilities for the fans worse than under his tenure.  Add to that we owe the Shanahans double what Smurthwaite left for.

So far, the only tangible improvements are crowds are up and the Lorne Street corporate side has undergone extensive revamping.

Football wise, we've barely moved.  And that's a sad indictment when you consider Smurthwaite was bleeding us, but the Shanahans are not.  They need to strongly reconsider their areas of investment.  

Port Vale FC is a football club first and foremost.  Not secondary.  <ovf censored> primary.  People purchase tickets to see the product on the pitch.  And right now that is terrible, and is becoming increasingly neglected.

Port Vale is a corporate entity. It is owned by Carol Shanahan et al. The fans are the customers. The customers are benefiting from better facilities invested in by the business / owners. 

I've not seen any valid business reason to invest in any football club like Port Vale. There are many other ways to make successful business investments. Football clubs like Port Vale quite simply consistently lose money. Therefore Carol et al are putting much of their personal wealth at risk and ultimately all most certainly some loss - likely several million. Eventually another benefactor owner will be needed to keep it going. 

Go back to fantasy world mate! As an accountant I have an objective perspective.

Edited by Warren
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, eh up nah said:

Definitely 

I suspect there's a big influence from above on what the formations going to be, probably who's in it and even who's being subbed when (in line with the stats).

What's the point of a manager then

Flitcroft may as well pick the team and set the team up week in week out then , mate