onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tom Pope Recalled

X-Valiant

Advert

Sad to see him go. It won't be the last time we see him in a Vale shirt though.

Our striking options seem limited, but it was never addressed properly last summer and it's been a concern all season. If one of the Rico's gets injured and is out, we have Dodds, R Taylor, Rigg and Haldane to fill their boots. None of which you would consider an out and out striker.

V2001 thought it O.K. to go into a season with only 2 out and out strikers and a squad of just 18 senior players....17 now Fraser has gone and got himself a longer deal at Barnet....we've all said they can't afford League 1 football but they can't even fund a full size squad for League 2 and given the squad size early season promise was always going to run out of steam over a season.

Shrewsbury actually bought a player for their run in

Yeah and even paid a small fee for him so I'm told!

Instead we have to beg, steal and borrow players when there is a perfectly good offer on the table that could have seen us with some spending power! C'est La Vie!

As regards Pope I'm personnally not a massive fan, the lad tried and threw his weight around but was anonynous in a lot of games imo. Maybe I'm being harsh but he just wasn't quite the signing to fire us to promotion for me. Although having said that like I've said above was probably the best we could do with V2001 bunglers at the helm!

Still he did earn us 4 points with the Bradford and Hereford goals. I wouldn't be totally aversed to him coming back in the future but Marc and Justin got us top of the league in October/November so if we are to salvage a playoff spot they can do it again?

How many people on here said that it might be an idea to get a striker in before the March deadline in case Rotherham recalled Pope?

How many were clamouring for a striker long before Xmas, in case Marc or Justin got Injured?

Personally I don't think it's a blow as we need to get our own 'strikers' and 'Midfield' scoring the goals we need.

Automatic promotion is gone now so the play-offs are the best we can hope for. Tom would not have been available for them either way so we need to plan to be without him.

It's upto our miniscule squad to bring about the play-off dream.

V2001 thought it O.K. to go into a season with only 2 out and out strikers and a squad of just 18 senior players....17 now Fraser has gone and got himself a longer deal at Barnet....we've all said they can't afford League 1 football but they can't even fund a full size squad for League 2 and given the squad size early season promise was always going to run out of steam over a season.

I'd have said Mickey Adams would have to shoulder some part of the responsibility. It's far more likely he was given a budget, and spent it elsewhere leaving us short on strikers. Even if they had limited him to 18 players, I would have still made sure I had 3 out and out strikers in that 18.

You should bash V2001 for a lot of things, but not this. I'd have said that one of the main problems they've provided for the club is the fact they over-budgeted on the playing side, compared to our income. Hence why we see £350k losses in the accounts.

Archived