onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Cambridge (A) match thread Sep 23rd

Trumpingtonvale

1 hour ago, Powerline said:

First time going Cambridge. Was looking online and for parking it said either street parking or a park and ride nearby. Can anyone who’s been before give any recommendations please? Much appreciated if so.

Noticed that the football ground guide advises either Coldham's Lane or Newmarket Road Park and Ride. As a local, I'd definitely go for the Park and Ride - it's on the edge of town but easy to get to, loads of parking and usually a decent service in (I'd get the bus but if you walk, it takes you straight past a McDonald's 😋). Avoid Coldham's Lane as it is frequently choked with traffic and you can't guarantee a parking spot when you get there.

Good luck and enjoy the game (hopefully!) 

Advert

1 hour ago, CambridgeDon said:

Noticed that the football ground guide advises either Coldham's Lane or Newmarket Road Park and Ride. As a local, I'd definitely go for the Park and Ride - it's on the edge of town but easy to get to, loads of parking and usually a decent service in (I'd get the bus but if you walk, it takes you straight past a McDonald's 😋). Avoid Coldham's Lane as it is frequently choked with traffic and you can't guarantee a parking spot when you get there.

Good luck and enjoy the game (hopefully!) 

How close is the park and ride to the train station?

1 hour ago, NorthwoodValiant said:

How close is the park and ride to the train station?

The Newmarket Road one is a ways away from the station ~ 3 miles (> an hour’s walk).   It’s the best one for the Abbey stadium - on the same road and goes to the city centre (Drummer St/bus station).  The station is a 20-25 min walk to Drummer St.

CAMBRIDGEPARKANDRIDE.INFO

Cambridge I've been reading have sold out majority of the home ends so obviously pleased with how they being playing .

Won 3 of there four home games I believe .

My Vale team for sat .

Ripley 

Debrah   Smith  Icavetti 

Clark                          Plant 

Arblaster Ojo 

Garrity 

Chislett Wilson .

We have Devine to freshen things up .

Where was Thomas the other night I'd be tempted use him aswell at some point if Chislett injured still .

If Debrah not up to speed then Cass who will travel with the ball with intent .

I'd be tempted play Jones for Smith or Icavetti aswell if he is well enough play .

No defender should be guaranteed a start after tues but I think Crosby said 2 bad games then  you out the side so most will be spared .

The beauty of having a great squad of hungry footballers 

Believe Vale sold hell of a lot hope there trip is a fruitful one 

8 minutes ago, Devine intervention said:

Cambridge I've been reading have sold out majority of the home ends so obviously pleased with how they being playing .

Won 3 of there four home games I believe .

My Vale team for sat .

Ripley 

Debrah   Smith  Icavetti 

Clark                          Plant 

Arblaster Ojo 

Garrity 

Chislett Wilson .

We have Devine to freshen things up .

Where was Thomas the other night I'd be tempted use him aswell at some point if Chislett injured still .

If Debrah not up to speed then Cass who will travel with the ball with intent .

I'd be tempted play Jones for Smith or Icavetti aswell if he is well enough play .

No defender should be guaranteed a start after tues but I think Crosby said 2 bad games then  you out the side so most will be spared .

The beauty of having a great squad of hungry footballers 

Believe Vale sold hell of a lot hope there trip is a fruitful one 

Debrah is a National League player with potential. But no way he walks into the team in an important L1 away game. He needs to play in the game v Newcastle Utd U21 and maybe the Sutton Utd game. We need to be consistent in our promotion push and winning this game is much needed. 

Will be a tough game but I prefer it when we're not massive favourites as we were at home to Burton when all the pressure is on us. Fully expect us to come out a little bit angry, but in a positive way. A point against a decent side on the road is never a bad result, but think we might edge it.

Cambridge are better than I thought they would be, having got rid of 2 of their better players at the end of the season and their replacement signings didn't look up to much. Their manager is very good though and clearly works on a plan for each game...much like ourselves.

They also seem to be strong at home but less so away. I expect they'll be full of energy and closing down, so it's up to our better players to play around them. If we're on it then we should get something...I expect us to have better footballers than them but we've also got to match work rate and be really switched on defensively, unlike the other night. If we tighten up that, I'm hoping we'll have too much for them.

Let’s hope for a real positive response tomorrow! After the disappointment of Tuesday. As said they have a very good manager so tactics need to be right , I hope they haven’t picked any ideas up from Burton. Come on you whites give the travelling Valiants something to cheer! It’s a fair old trek so let’s make it worth it

On 18/09/2023 at 17:09, Trumpingtonvale said:

Seeing as I’m local and I hadn’t seen a thread thought I’d have a go at starting one (admin pleas move thus if one has started).

Abbey already sold out for home fans (bar hospitality tickets).  They got beat at Wigan but have had a surprisingly good start, manager recently signed a long term deal too. Saw them against Reading, high press, bodies on the line defending, fast breaks with decent wide men (Brophy reminded me of Gary Ford).  Tight pitch though our ballers should still shine.  The home fans behind the goal never stopped singing throughout the game but they had a drum so hopefully someone puts their foot through it before Saturday.

Hopefully a continuation of our good form after going top on Tuesday night 🤞

UTV

I think we will bounce back after a lesson learned on Tuesday 

On paper, one of our easier fixtures (as was Burton) and in Cambridge we will meet a very similar team with a very similar approach to life. They will be full in our faces from the start and dig in hard as we keep the ball. We can't expect any quarter from them physically. They are also very fast on the break and Brophy out on the right has blistering pace.

Crozzer's big task is to pick a team that can compete with them physically while dominating possession. There will be no room out there for any faint-hearts and everyone (unlike Tuesday) will need to turn up. We'll need to cut out the individual errors we saw against Burton or they will be pounced on. Crozzer will also need a plan to counteract Brophy because - believe you me - this boy is quick.

I expect a very similar game to Tuesday but, hopefully, with a better outcome.

UTV!

On paper, one of our easier fixtures (as was Burton) and in Cambridge we will meet a very similar team with a very similar approach to life. They will be full in our faces from the start and dig in hard as we keep the ball. We can't expect any quarter from them physically. They are also very fast on the break and Brophy out on the right has blistering pace.
Crozzer's big task is to pick a team that can compete with them physically while dominating possession. There will be no room out there for any faint-hearts and everyone (unlike Tuesday) will need to turn up. We'll need to cut out the individual errors we saw against Burton or they will be pounced on. Crozzer will also need a plan to counteract Brophy because - believe you me - this boy is quick.
I expect a very similar game to Tuesday but, hopefully, with a better outcome.
UTV!
I always rated Brophy and I think when he was at Orient I really wanted us to sign him.

They don't score many but also don't concede many at all. We only have one more goal than they do but we have been squandering chances that hopefully will start to go in on a more regular basis. They have a tricky winger in Kaikai that has pace and plenty of experience in midfield in Digby and Thomas who sit in and make them hard to break down. As long as we defend as we have been doing prior to Burton everything points to a low scoring game. I'd probably take 1-1 but will be optimistic and go for a 0-1 win.

Archived